WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Whoopies

DIY IX UQ, winter tarp, skins

Well I didn't get a chance to get out this weekend, but I did get to set my gear up at a friend's house, and let me say I'm pretty proud of myself.

Finally finished my tarp yesterday. Followed DIY Gear Supply's instructions on making a winter tarp. I didn't have enough stakes or guyline on me to tie down the doors, but here's the results:
    uploadfromtaptalk1352653830199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352653852705.jpg

Finished my IX UQ with DIY Gear Supply's instructions a while back too. Sadly it wasn't warm enough last night for me to sleep in, but it'll be perfect for summer. As for winter weight quilts, I'll be ordering from UGQ in the near future (BF sales, here I come!!), but for now here's what I've got:
    uploadfromtaptalk1352654071812.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352654087925.jpg

I used some scraps to make tubes for the hammock and tarp.
    uploadfromtaptalk1352654232678.jpg

Still haven't gotten brave enough to put the bugnet on my DIY warbird, but the hammock in the pics is a WBBB I picked up in the for sale section here on HF.

Next on my to do list is attach the HF flag I got from Devil Women to my tarp ridgeline, attach the bugnet, and start on a summer TQ.

Now off to raid the medicine cabinet to stave off this sinus infection I feel coming on from yesterday.

Happy hanging!!
    If it ain't broke, gimme a minute.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Looks pretty darn good.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    That's some great DIY you have there! A few items there I have on my list.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    pretty good there! i like it. gives me some ideas myself!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Very nice work! I've been looking to make the same tarp - about how long did it take you to make it?

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    How cold were the temperatures last night? I know the first night I tried my IX UQ that I made from the DIY Gear Supply instructions that I was pretty cold and it was only mid 50s. After some experience I figured out the best way to make sure the ends were sealed and not allow any drafts or air flow. From the pics you posted it seems like your ends are open maybe too much? The only reason I ask is because I see you're not far from where I live and the temps around here have been in the mid to upper 40s and that UQ should be fine in those temperatures. I know mine has been after I got my set up figured out. Also using a piece of reflectix under my feet helped out since its only a 3/4 UQ.

Also I really like the winter tarp. That's one of the next items on my projects list!

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Niceness. I am jealous of the tarp. I made a similar one for my brother and hated turning it over to him

Quote Originally Posted by Dustb2000 View Post
    {...}make sure the ends were sealed and not allow any drafts or air flow. From the pics you posted it seems like your ends are open maybe too much? {...}
    Ditto on this - That was the first thing I noticed in the pics, it looks like its too low -

I've got a DIY IX UQ as well - I've found that you only get about half of the value of it if its not touching you. I've had mine (not a DIY-GS Design) down into the 40's and I've slept fine with it - almost sweating in some cases.

Before you give up on it - I'd highly suggest you try something that brings it up tighter against your body - maybe during the daylight hours, try taking a nap in it so its not your night time sleep that gets disrupted if its not 'just right'

cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie slings
    That's it man keep DIY ing and inspiring others
    A man does not climb a mountain without taking some of it away with him, and leaving something of himself upon it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Very nice work! I've been looking to make the same tarp - about how long did it take you to make it?
    Surprisingly not that long, but then again I was flying by the seat of my pants a bit by not pinning it. I hate pins, haven't used a single one yet! But as per DIY GS instructions, the cat cut does want to unroll on you so you have to be careful with it. In all, the tarp took about 4-5 man-hours once I had all the materials. Beware though, the instructions don't call for enough d-rings for panel pull-outs (rookie mistake on my part). I need to order 4 more for that still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustb2000 View Post
    How cold were the temperatures last night? I know the first night I tried my IX UQ that I made from the DIY Gear Supply instructions that I was pretty cold and it was only mid 50s. After some experience I figured out the best way to make sure the ends were sealed and not allow any drafts or air flow. From the pics you posted it seems like your ends are open maybe too much? The only reason I ask is because I see you're not far from where I live and the temps around here have been in the mid to upper 40s and that UQ should be fine in those temperatures. I know mine has been after I got my set up figured out. Also using a piece of reflectix under my feet helped out since its only a 3/4 UQ.

Also I really like the winter tarp. That's one of the next items on my projects list!

Thanks for the compliment! I did notice (after it was finished sadly) that it's only 3/4. I think for me some nice wool sleeping socks will do the trick but I've been meaning to pick up some reflectix to make pot coozies so I'll just get an extra few feet and give it a shot.
    I saw another post on here somewhere where someone took some climashield and made an extra layer to lay on top of the UQ to supplement it but I have yet to find where to buy some to try it. He also made like a pocket with the CS and stuffed it with down which may be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    Ditto on this - That was the first thing I noticed in the pics, it looks like its too low -

I've got a DIY IX UQ as well - I've found that you only get about half of the value of it if its not touching you. I've had mine (not a DIY-GS Design) down into the 40's and I've slept fine with it - almost sweating in some cases.

Before you give up on it - I'd highly suggest you try something that brings it up tighter against your body - maybe during the daylight hours, try taking a nap in it so its not your night time sleep that gets disrupted if its not 'just right'

cheers-
    Thanks for the advice! I hadn't realized it was low, but then again this is my first setup as well as my first stab at all this DIY stuff. I bought my thread injector less than a month ago specifically for DIY gear and it's more than paid for itself.
    It's not that I've given up on it per say, just that there was a bed and a significant other to keep me warm instead I'll definitely try snugging it up a bit though and see how it works. I was planning some triangle things like AHE has but alas no instructions, so they're in my next gear purchase. All in all though, no sleep disrupted, no worries, and again thanks for the suggestions. I'm literally laying in it now so I'll let you know how it goes
    If it ain't broke, gimme a minute.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast