comparing the clark to a hennessy

i have a hennessy hammock and was considering moving over to a clark for the extra space. can someone who has experience with both give me a run down on the differences? is the lack of insulation through the bottom still a problem (i get cold on my back even at 45-50 degrees in the hennessy). is condensation an issue? has anyone every tried to use one as a ground bivvy? i know they aren't as comfortable like that but its nice to have the option in case there are no trees. i am looking at the flex 180 and read the threads on here about it, is anyone able to compare the flat lying ability of that versus the hennessy? finally, i hang with my dog. in the hennessy its possible but tricky. would it be fairly easy in something like the flex 180? thanks for the info peeps.

Excellent question. I can't offer an answer, but I'll look forward to reading them from folks who can.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Apples and Oranges

Hello. I own a Deep jungle xl zip. And a NX 150.
    1. No dogs in hammock ever. Why? You live in Co! You have those big nasty bears in Co.Big nasty bears love K9 burritos. Its a dog! Tell it to lay down and shut up. My dog carries his own sleeping pad and food.
    2. Deep jungle is a great summer hammock. I could put a UQ on it but its light and airy and bug free. It's cool. I love the material and roominess. The stock tarp is fine for light rain, but in a storm, ?????
    3.NX 150 is without a doubt IMHO my goto pc of equipment. Need more room? Get a 250. I ve never had an issue with condensation, Ive never gotten wet, or cold, and I sleep like a rock.Very flat. I replaced the suspension with all in one whoops. My only complaint is its to narrow for me. So I may buy a 250. The 180 seems like an awful lot of bulk to me. But you have to carry it so its up to you.

Still need more room to sleep with your dog? Buy a RV.
    Last edited by Fishpig; 11-13-2012 at 05:57.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Hennessey vs Clark NX 250

I have a Hennessey Asym ( the bottom loader). I upgraded to the NX-250. I slept ok in the Hennessey, but I sleep great in the Clark. I haven't slept in either below 38 degrees, but I can say that the clark is a little warmer. I have a qualifier or two though.

In the Hennessey, I used a Big Agnes sleeping pad with a BA sleeping bag. The main reason that I switched was because the sleeping pad with the bottom loader was kind of a pain. I wonder if I had a side zipper model if I would have switched so soon. I wasn't unhappy with the Hennessey.

To me, there is a bigger learning curve with the Clark. It is, however,very comfortable and roomy. On a recent trip to the Smokies, I left the sleeping pad at home and took one of those reflective things that you use in the windshield of your car. At 38 degrees, I was a little cold. I had clothing and thing stuffed in the pockets underneath but everything that wasn't on top of the reflective thing got cold. I think the best thing for that night would have been to use the sleeping pad in the back pocket of the sleeping bag.
    Bottom line... They are both nice hammocks, but the NX 250 is roomier, easier to sleep in and offers more of everything. The Hennessey is $300.00 cheaper!
    Hope this helps!

my dog carries her own stuff too but there are two reasons she sleeps in the hammock with me. one, shes is incredibly short haired and gets cold in anything under 50 degrees. two, she is like a space heater. dogs temps are generally a few degrees higher than humans. with her in the hammock it is quite toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishpig View Post
    Hello. I own a Deep jungle xl zip. And a NX 150.
    1. No dogs in hammock ever. Why? You live in Co! You have those big nasty bears in Co.Big nasty bears love K9 burritos. Its a dog! Tell it to lay down and shut up. My dog carries his own sleeping pad and food.
    2. Deep jungle is a great summer hammock. I could put a UQ on it but its light and airy and bug free. It's cool. I love the material and roominess. The stock tarp is fine for light rain, but in a storm, ?????
    3.NX 150 is without a doubt IMHO my goto pc of equipment. Need more room? Get a 250. I ve never had an issue with condensation, Ive never gotten wet, or cold, and I sleep like a rock.Very flat. I replaced the suspension with all in one whoops. My only complaint is its to narrow for me. So I may buy a 250. The 180 seems like an awful lot of bulk to me. But you have to carry it so its up to you.

Still need more room to sleep with your dog? Buy a RV.

alos the flex 180 is only 2/3 of a lb more. that isn't enough to even notice a difference when packing it.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fixin2b1 View Post
    <snip>The Hennessey is $300.00 cheaper!
    Hope this helps!
    NO, no, and no. The NX250 @$430 includes the largest rain fly Clark makes. There isn't a better-made sil-nylon rain fly of the same 11x 10 size for a regular retail price of $120. That brings the Clark to $310. Nobody is sewing in a weathershield with full zipper into a hammock for less $80.
    So, leaving aside other features, wanted or otherwise, the NX-250 w/0 weathershield would sell for $230. Not cheap.

But, are there hammocks selling for $300.00 less? The question answers itself.

I have belabored this, because the Clark price reputation is flat out undeserved. Not a "Cadillac" of hammocks; more like a Camry or Accord with 4wd and a sunroof. Even in the Oregon Cascades where the daily average rainfall is .20-.25", I'd like to have a sunroof, but don't. Which must be why I ride a bike.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've used a HH on my 2004 thru hike, but now use a Clark NH-200. The Clark is much more comfortable, only marginally more resistant to the cold. You'll still need a pad or under quilt of some sort. If choosing between the shorter or longer versions of a Clark, get the longer one - much more comfortable for about five more oz weight. Don't have any experience with the Flex-180. At 4.5 lbs, it's way too heavy for backpacking. One person above says it's "only" 1.75 lbs heavier - that's a LOT of extra weight, but if you're not backpacking, probably OK. I think the biggest worry I'd have with a dog inside is whether his/her claws might tear up the hammock?
    Last edited by bear bag hanger; 11-17-2012 at 06:13. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I've used a HH on my 2004 thru hike, but now use a Clark NH-200. The Clark is much more comfortable, only marginally more resistant to the cold. You'll still need a pad or under quilt of some sort. If choosing between the shorter or longer versions of a Clark, get the longer one - much more comfortable for about five more oz weight. Don't have any experience with the Flex-180. At 4.5 lbs, it's way too heavy for backpacking. One person above says it's "only" 1.75 lbs heavier - that's a LOT of extra weight, but if you're not backpacking, probably OK. I think the biggest worry I'd have with a dog inside is whether his/her claws might tear up the hammock?
    i guess we just back pack differently, i have pretty much the lightest and warmest sleeping bag you can have with 880 goose down, so what i save there i may not with a hammock. also, if the clark is warmer, it COULD negate needing the super shelter with the hennessy, depending on the temperatures. before i used a hammock i had a two person tent which was a bit over five pounds, really not a big deal. id say the only thing that concerns me is the pain of setting it up compared to a hennessy. if a few pounds makes that big of a difference you might want to consider a different pack. i carry my shotgun and/or rifle often to do some shooting while out there and each of those is 8-12 pounds, hardly even notice it in the pack. id say i could add around 20 lbs to what i carry before it makes it more strenuous. thats the advantage of a good pack.

dogs claws you really don't have to worry about. mine doesn't move much and i put a fleece thing down for her to lay on so her claws never come in contact with it. of course if you bring a dog you could always use the hammock as a bivvy anyway.

• + New Posts