Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    I had the clark nx150 for about a year and then the wbbb and now i have the wbrr. I did not like the nx150 for many reasons lots of calf pressure and kind of heavy also z liner did not keep me warm because of the gaps between them. The wbbb was great accept for i always had a problem with the uq would not stay underneath me at night which is very frustrating but less calf pressure then the genius brandon came out with th ridge runner all my problems have been solved thank you brandon ps the lynx never moves and the lay is 100 % flat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Here's my experience with the Clark Jungle in cold weather. About 2 years ago we had several days of very cool weather here in S. Florida so me and a couple guys decided to take advantage of a nice night out. We made the mistake of not checking the forecast low for that night though because, honestly, it hadn't dropped below 60 for several weeks. I hadn't invested in a good sleeping bag either because I never used one for anything more than deflecting a breeze from underneath. That night there was a record low for the County we were in. it got down to 21 degrees! Now for your northern fellows that's a walk in the park, but we hadn't brought ANY equipment for that type of weather. That night I put on two pairs of pants, shirts and socks, got into my $20.00 walmart, Coleman (POS) sleeping bag....and believe it or not I actually got a decent nights sleep! Now I wouldn't recommend this style of sleeping for consecutive nights (We were only out for one night) but I survived. My buddy was in a ENO single sleeper, and had we been less than 5 miles from the truck he would have hiked out that night for sure. I can't speak for the some of the other models Clark has come out with but I can tell you ANYTHING is better than the Jungle Hammock in weather bellow 30. I'll leave you with this thought. I've watched guys with every brand imaginable stick it out in all kinds of weather and at the end of the day I would go with something that will meet your needs in the warmer months IMHO. If you know what the weathers going to be like you can always bring a good sleeping bag and layers of clothing and be prepared (unlike we were that night) . Sleeping outside in the cold, is sleeping outside in the cold bro. Gotta have a reason to enjoy that coffee off your Jetboil in the morning...right? Good luck

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I have the Clark NX250. I have slept in it every night but 3 since May 30th. It is for me the ultimate comfort spot. I slept fairly comfortably on nights when the low went down to about 50, but to be honest the under pockets basically serve to deflect errant breezes, not to insulate. I experimented with putting some cheap polyester stuffed pillows in the pockets and they really work. And look terrible, a la the Michellen Man. I now use an under quilt that reaches from hoop to hoop, and it rocks. If something happened to mine today, I would be ordering a new one before dark, I am much more interested in pure comfort while sleeping, than counting ounces while hiking.
    I may be smaller than old4hats, so the NX250 is larger than I need. I know that from using smaller-bed Clark models, too. But, I'd second everything he's said; except I'm ahead of him in having a backup or two to lend hammocks, as good as the one I want to sleep in, to folks I was touring with who might otherwise be grounded.

To up date a bit, I slept two nights at Raven Cliffs with 27 and 26 degree lows, with good wind on the first night. I had my home made polyester UQ and a 20 degree sleeping bag as a TQ. I slept very warmly, the weather shield left open about 6inches.
    DemostiX, you for sure have me trumped by sheer numbers, but give me time, lol.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Forgive me but I am a newb with hammocks.

Marine2000 said "...ANYTHING is better than the Jungle Hammock below 30 degrees..."
    What model Jungle Hammock are you referring to?
    What features do some of the other hammocks that are better below 30 degrees than your Jungle Hammock have that make them more suitable?

Thanks
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 01-26-2013 at 03:45.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    Forgive me but I am a newb with hammocks.

Marine2000 said "...ANYTHING is better than the Jungle Hammock below 30 degrees..."
    What model Jungle Hammock are you referring to?
    What features do some of the other hammocks that are better below 30 degrees than your Jungle Hammock have that make them more suitable?
    From the context you didn't include Marine2000 meant to say something closer to "I doubt there is ANYTHING better than....."

Even if he isn't approaching my age, he may have made a mistake I too often do, of posting something with meaning which is the opposite of what I intended.

While we're typically enthusing in this sub-forum about Clarks: I think

The weight cost / penalty of nylon fabric hoods over the ends of all Clarks is tiny compared to the benefits they afford in some protection from wind and rain. They even make safe and adequate a shorter tarp than you would otherwise need. I would include them in DIY hammocks.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 01-27-2013 at 03:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    From the context you didn't include Marine2000 meant to say something closer to "I doubt there is ANYTHING better than....."
    I read with some confusion Marine 2000's post. I agree with DemostiX in what he might have meant to say. That or he meant to say, "NOTHING is better than...".

He 'seemed' to be speaking well of the Clark but I could not say for sure

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have a NX200. It is my go to hammock when it's really cold outside. I use a 0* HG Incubator and Burrow and they cradle the 200 like a glove. I don't worry about CBS due to gaps. I did mod the suspension to simplify the whole thing. I installed a structural ridge line to dial in the lay, to hold up the netting/storm shield and the UQ on the sides with triangle thingies. I also traded out the heavy rope suspension with webbing from a WBBB. With this setup, I'm guaranteed a comfortable and warm night down into the single digits.

I also have a 1.1 WBBB that I use when backpacking because it is so light.

I have a WBRR and slept in it last night, but got a bit cold due to gaps between the hammock and the Incubator that I could not dial out. So, until I can get a Lynx to go with it, I'm going with my Clark in the cold weather.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    This winter i've used a double Z-liner in my NX-250 for the first time. Last week the temperatures dropped tot 5-10F combined with a strong cold wind. The approach to double the Z-liner worked well. No cold spots. Next month we'll have a 4-days hike in the Belgium Ardennes. Hopefully i can test lower temperatures than.

By the way, i slept in a Yeti Passion Five http://www.yetiworld.com/en/produkte...ion-seven.html. No additional insulation. Weathershield closed. And during the night a closed tarp using the standard velcro and little carabiners to secure it.
    Last edited by Hiker Philly; 01-27-2013 at 13:41.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Double z-liner? As in two sets under your Clark?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast