A little help...

A quick question guys...I purchased a HH just a few days ago (thanks Spaceweasel!) and I want to replace the ropes with Whoopie Slings. Easy enough, but I am wondering about the next part; do I use the Dutch Buckle setup or the Whoopie Hooks setup?

I am 6'1" and weigh about 280. I've read that the Hooks will comfortably hold my weight, but I'm not sure that I like the setup. I do like the Buckle setup, but I cannot find any info about how much weight that setup supports.

Further, if I do go with the Buckle setup, don't I have to use a Dutch Clip? The Ti version supports 300#'s and though I'm not exactly there, I really don't want to take that chance. I am a side sleeper that turns over a number of times in the night.

So, now I'm back to the Hooks. I wouldn't need a Clip for the tree huggers with that setup would I?

And ultimately, if I did, where do I go then?

Wow. Thanks for reading guys. Any help is truly appreciated.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wacbzz,

I can't help you with your decision on using Dutch Buckles or Whoppie Hooks. I think that's a personal decision. I have Dutch Buckles, but have been thinking of switching to Whoopie Hooks after watching Sgt Rock's video on them. The idea of keeping my wet whoopie slings away from my dry hammock is appealing to me.

That being said, with either setup, you don't need Dutch Clips. They just make it easier and faster to set up your tree straps. You can just slide the working end of your tree strap through the loop on the standing end of your tree strap (where you would clip the Dutch Clip). Alternatively, you can use a climbing carabiner. Dejoha has a great picture of it on page 85 of his book.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just for full disclosure, I do owns pair of aluminum Dutch clips and really like them. I'm thinking of upgrading to a pair of titanium clips

Thanks Dave-O for you info. The part about staying dry with the hooks is certainly very appealing.

I'm surprised that with all the looks, nobody has chimed in on the weight holding ability of the buckles and the clips...

Also, which setup would make one less prone to leaving the huggers or whoopsies+huggers behind? I've read a bunch about folks leaving them behind..

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    DO NOT FORGET TO ADD THE WEIGHT OF YOUR GEAR, not just your body. the weights listed are for everything that goes into your hammock.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Once again, I can't speak for the Whoopie Hooks solution, but I have left my tree straps out with my Dutch Buckles. Luckily it was on my hammock stand in my back yard. In my defense, I was trying out a new hammock and it was dark and cold so I was rushing with my takedown .

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i would go with the whoopie hooks... been running them for a while now and love them

you can't go wrong with any of Dutch's Ti goodness .....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    As stated you don't really need clips on either. They were really intended for cinch buckles and other suspension that you can't easily disconnect the webbing. Although the ti clips do make that a little less painful. I would go with hooks. They are what I have on my hammocks.
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-13-2012 at 10:23.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Thanks guys for all the replys. It looks like I'm gonna go with the hooks.

• + New Posts