This weekend I went on a motorcycle camping trip. I had just purchased tent camping gear for my wife and I. She tried hammocking but could never get comfortable and didn't mind tenting. So I purchased the ground camping supplies thinking it would be easier than bringing two different set ups on the bike. Well this trip was solo so I figured I'd bring the tent, and all that to try it out. Last minute I thew in my double nest thinking it would make a good camp lounge. So I get there and set it all up, MSR Hubba Hubba, Big Agnes air core insulated sleeping pad, and a big agnes lost ranger bag. I had ridden 400 miles so I figured I'd fall asleep pretty easy.

That and two sleeping pills helped. I crashed after an hour of reading but true to form I woke up about an hour later tossing and turning. This continued all night until 2am. This time I had to answer the call of nature. So after walking the 15 minutes to the bathroom I knew I wasn't going back in the tent.
Luckily I hung the double nest when I arrived. I knew I'd be cold as I had no underquilt and the air temp was in the low 50s. But I needed sleep so I put on my down jacket, and tried to line the hammock with the deflated sleeping pad.
The big agnes only has insulation on one side so I opened it up so I could drape it over me better.

It was a chilly night and I missed the sleeping pad completely, but I slept like a baby. in the morning I woke up relaxed and refreshed. I just stayed in the hammock and watched the birds and squirrels play in the tree canopy above me.

So the hammock literally saved the trip. If I had to sleep in the tent I would have been exhausted. Not a good thing when I had another 400 mile day ahead on the bike. So what did this teach me..Well that I need to get serious with my hammock gear. Which means a top quilt and uderquilt. No more fooling around with sleeping on the ground. Luckily all the camping gear I bough was used so I'm going to put it on my local craigs list. Just thought I'd share this story with you guys.