Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Stephenson' s Warmlite info on VB clothes is at http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing

I've never used their VB clothes but had one of their tents that I loved. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
    I also used their VB ideas to DIY VB clothing and a bag liner. It works.
    I love the socks and the shirt. Shirt is not exactly good looking, not for wear around town unless you want to be seen in a duct tape shirt ( some sort of vinyl actually). But with the fuzzy stuff liner, it just works great and is cheap! As are the socks and gloves, I am going to get some gloves for Christmas. I want some pants but they are a custom order.

If you want to spend some big bucks for a big jump in quality and looks, there is this stuff that Fronkey raved about and a couple of others have used also:
    http://www.rbhdesigns.com/category/1...97/apparel.htm

Here are some interesting testimonials to the high $ stuff, although I feel the cheaper stuff would accomplish much the same:
    http://www.rbhdesigns.com/feature/16...ompetitors.htm

http://www.rbhdesigns.com/feature/87...oncept-now.htm

http://www.rbhdesigns.com/feature/32...eg-and-sup.htm
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-28-2013 at 15:19.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I've used a VBL in a sleeping bag at -40F in the Adirondacks on a 10d snowshoe trip whilst sleeping in a snow trench. Barely warm enough, but I hated the tangle of the VBL when I turned.

With hammocks, might it make sense to anchor the VBL so I might spin in it? Wearing a base layer, that might be possible...

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

vapor barriers

Hangers,

My thoughts have probably been addressed in this thread, but I was surfing in our 0* Winter and ran across "Vapor Barriers".

Since I am no longer manufactruing dp gear that used VB engineering, I still stand with VB technology if you want to go as light as possible without bulk.

My experience has been, use the VB next to your long underwear and socks (ie: not on your skin) and layer out from the VB depending on the temperature.

Long Live Vapor Barriers for those of us who "hike lite" ...

And really, isn't one's gear only as good as one knows how to use it? Which takes a great number of uses ...

dp Dave
    dplightweightbackpackinggear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    I use VB all the time when camping in the winter months. Just last weekend I used it again. I only put it on when I know I have concluded activities for the day. This usually means shortly before bed.

The warmlite pants and shirt have a nice fuzzy inside which works well for me right against the skin. I put my wool layer on top of the vb. Same with my vb socks with wool socks on top.

I sleep like a baby and my insulation layers don't get wet. I take the vb off in the morning along with my dry layers and get back into my layers that I wore during the day.
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

What is the average weight ./price for a good vapor Barrier these days?

moisture is always a problem with vapor barrier if the person is a hot sleeper i think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    How would you think it is a problem?
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly/pole mod
    Insulation
    Burrow 0 / Yeti 0
    Suspension
    WoopieSling
    Thank you for a clear undrstanding on this.
    I have slept in a hammock on every continent from -20 to +128, under direct and indirect fire, from frost to fungus except Antarticia.... But give me time... Thank you Uncle Sugar!

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    This thread caught my eye, so I thought I would ask a question. I have a WM Versalite sleeping bag and I have a WM vapor barrier for it. I used it once when the temps were in the low teens. I wore thin silk long underwear and was in a hammock (WB RR). Initially I was warm, but then I began to get cold. The bag is rated to 10 degrees. Question: is the effect of a VBL just a few degrees or should I have been warmer? The VBL liner was up to my neck and was fairly snug, but there may have been a small air passage. I was hoping the use of the VBL might take me into the single digits. I had no problem with dampness other than a slight clammy feel. My understanding is that a VBL should potentially have taken me into the single digits.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by whmoller View Post
    . Question: is the effect of a VBL just a few degrees or should I have been warmer?
    What did you have underneath you for insulation?
    I always imagined that the VB made me sleep warmer, but the main reason I used one was to keep my insulation dry.
    Have you used the Versalite a lot in colder conditions? I find that it takes some 'reality therapy' to figure out if the manufacturer numbers are accurate for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast