Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    If I recall correctly it was either an Exped Downmat 7 or a NEO Xtherm. Not sure but both are good pads. Wondering if I just sleep cold. Western Mountaineering makes a good bag, so I was surprised.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    New to hammock camping and I have been using a foam pad and a piece of reflectix. On warm nights I use just the foam pad. Am I safe?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing. This helps me plan better for my trips and will also keep me comfortable!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the in-depth analysis!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Great write up, another helpful piece of information to improve all of our hammock camping!

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Thank you for this fantastic information. I decided to research vapor barriers this morning and didn't need to leave this thread to learn more than enough to get started with my own system.

I'm a guy who sweats a lot (pretty gross, really). Is there anyone else out there like me? I often break a sweat just sitting at my desk. If there are others, have you found ways to manage the problem while out in the wilderness? After reading this and learning of insensible perspiration, I wonder if I produce more of that than average, too.

In any case, mois—sorry, humidity—management is a huge problem for me day and night. What makes this worse is that I sometimes wake up sweating quite heavily in the middle of the night...uncomfortable at home, but potentially dangerous while winter camping. I need to determine what system will be flexible enough to deal with all of these things.

I think I'm going to try putting a space blanket between my underquilt and hammock for starters, and also wear night clothing that helps trap a little humidity right next to my skin while still allowing some breathability.

I'll probably report back here with my results in hope of continuing this very educational conversation, but I'm also very open to others' suggestions (if there are any that haven't been made yet).

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    FYI stuff: see the link in post 104 above for some other field testing.

Hennessy Hammocks use a space blanket vapor barrier between the hammock and under insulation (HH uses a foam pad vs an UQ). Condensation is manageable (minimal). I've used this down to 20F without condensation issues. I have not tried using a space blanket/UQ combo.

Clothing:
    I've compared the Stephenson WarmLite vapor barrier clothing ($120) to FroggTogg rain gear ($15 at WalMart) and could not tell the difference other than the WarmLite was a little softer/more comfortable. Also, using the FroggTogg provides dual function as rain gear.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-Tog...-Suit/35151317

Vapor barrier clothing works but there are issues/skills/knowledge you need prior to extended field use. Here are a few:
    1) you need to wear it against your skin with your insulation clothing outside it - thus it's not easy/practical to change into/out of while in the field.
    2) you need to closely monitor exertion to avoid over heating when doing physical activity (hiking/chopping wood ect). Arm pits provide the first indication that you need to slow down. I used it mostly for activities like fishing or hanging out in camp or sleeping in my hammock or walking the dog in cold weather.

VB is a fun winter experimentation item. Put it on and take a walk in a blizzard - it's amazing how warm you stay. Try shoveling snow and you'll overheat in less than 5 minutes.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-17-2017 at 16:10.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have used the VB principle on one occasion, an extended ski trip through Yellowstone during substantially cold weather. For that trip it worked very well. I wore a light pair of synthetic socks, covered the socks with a DIY VB consisting of heavy weight gallon plastic bags, a pair of wool socks, and finally plastic XC ski boots with removable liners. The idea was to keep the removable liners dry, and hence, retain their insulation value.

At night I would remove the foot gear and the synthetic socks would be soaking wet from perspiring feet and my feet like water soaked prunes, but all else was dry and good to go for the next day. I would put the wet socks beneath my sleeping pad to keep them somewhat warm for donning the next morning. It was an unpleasant task to put on the wet socks the next morning, but when all the foot gear was in place I was set to go for another frigid day in YNP for the five day traverse.

Would I use the same principle for my body? Not unless it was a very extended trip where body moisture condensation would significantly deteriorate the insulation value of a sleeping bag to the point that the bag was no longer able to provide warmth. I have read of such occurrences from folks unavoidable holed up in snow caves during -48 degree windy blizzards on Denali. But then again you are not going to catch this old dog off the porch for such a foray. Notwithstanding, I've enjoyed my share of winter ski traverses 'back in the day'

I would agree with youngblood that for a general practice there are much better ways to eek out more warmth.

thankyou for the post mate. informative much

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast