DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

To match or not to match?

So here's my dilemma: I have a 15 degree Big Agnes Lost Ranger that I use as my TQ. Seems to work well without the down in the underside, however with 650fp down the 15 degree rating is probably pushing it a little. I am now in the market for a down UQ.

My question is should I try to match the temp rating of the UQ to the TQ or does that really matter? What do the pros do?

Shug buddy help me out here. Heck anyone help me out cause I'm ready to spend some $. I would make it myself but after just finishing my DIY Ogee I need a short break from the ole thread injector and the frustration that my perfectionism brings with it. Thanks in advance peeps for the responses!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I tend to have matching temp quilt sets. That being said, i've heard (and friends have done) that the UQ should be the cooler quilt and you can get away with a lighter weather TQ. And with the additions of socks and such, you can increase even further. Hope this helps.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I tend to have matching temp quilt sets. That being said, i've heard (and friends have done) that the UQ should be the cooler quilt and you can get away with a lighter weather TQ. And with the additions of socks and such, you can increase even further. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the input. I'm kinda thinking along those same lines. Can't wait to hear some more opinions as well.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I generally try and get similar temp quilts, but I don't have it as a set rule. I agree that having the underquilt rated lower is better if you don't match.

Generally, most manufacturers (at least of hammock quilts) tend to produce things all in the same range - ie. 0* quilts, 20* quilts, 40* quilts, making it easy and simple to match. As the temp ratings are 20 apart, I probably wouldn't pair a 40* TQ with a 20* UQ in most situations. I'd just go with 20 for both.

As a note, Big Agnes tends to promise a bit more than they can deliver, temperature wise (although I do love the design). Your 15* Lost Ranger probably won't bring you as low as 20* Hammock Burrow TQ. So, depending on your specific needs, I'd go with something like a 20* HammockGear Incubator to match with the Lost Ranger. Depending on how hot you sleep, that would probably bring you down to the 20-25* range or thereabouts. And, if you have the money, throw it at a 20* Burrow TQ, GoLite 3 season TQ, etc. Not having that hood and extra material flopping around, plus the extra insulation those bring, is very nice.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i prefer a colder rated UQ than my TQ.
    my thoughts are that a UQ can be setup to allow some airflow if needed
    and if i get too warm in the middle of the night, i can vent my TQ as needed.
    plus i can add more top insulation like jackets and such easier than adding to
    bottom insulation.
    that's just how i roll.
    __bob__
    p.s. i'm no pro!
    P.s.s. i have a different color UQ than my hammock. that helps me see the hammock at night.
    i have accidentally set in my UQ and missed the hammock all together, that is painful on the coccyx.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Great info guys thanks a ton! I kinda figured the rating would be a little off in the Lost Ranger when I bought it so that's why I got a 15 degree bag when I was actually looking in the range of a 20. Believe me I would love to get an actual TQ but yes I was once a ground pounder and that's why I picked the LR way back when. It does pack down really small in my Sea to Summit eVent dry sack which is a huge plus. Also I figured I needed to worry more about an UQ right now and just deal with the LR for the time being. It is toasty!

I've got my eyes set on either a Leighlo 15 degree 66" UQ or a HG "Phincubator" 20 degree at around 62". I know either one will be great.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smuller81 View Post
    Also I figured I needed to worry more about an UQ right now and just deal with the LR for the time being. It is toasty!

I've got my eyes set on either a Leighlo 15 degree 66" UQ or a HG "Phincubator" 20 degree at around 62". I know either one will be great.
    Agrees that an UQ is a better first priority. Congrats on the near purchase - a good UQ is amazing in terms of warmth and comfort.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts