ENO DN
    Tarp
    Using ENO...so/so
    Insulation
    nothin' yet
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Blue Ridge Parkway/Southern winter camping

Hi all, I'm planning a road trip through the south from Philadelphia down to Florida and I was looking for some suggestions for where my land dwelling car mates and I could set up camp. The plan is to drive from Philly to Lexington, VA on the first day (either the 26th or 27th of Dec) and then to Ashville, NC on the second day where we have a place to stay. We will spend a day or two there and then I want to head to Athens, GA to catch a show at the Georgia Theater.
    Then East to Charleston, SC passing through Colombia. Down on to Savannah the next day(New Years Eve). From there we are heading down to Fort Meyers, Florida. We will spend a few days down there then we are going to drive back to Philadelphia. So what I need is.

Camping site ideas near Lexington Va, Athens Ga, Charleston, and a place near 95 about halfway between Fort Meyers and Philly (somewhere between Fayetteville and Raleigh NC) Any other tips or stop ideas on what to see are appreciated as well

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I note that your route from Savannah to Ft. Meyers is going to take you near Ocala National Forest. There are multiple camping opportunities in the forest, both primitive and otherwise. Some of 'em require hiking in, some of 'em are drive-up. If you're looking for a particular kind of camping, I can help with guidance on that front.

Also, there are many spots to camp in Florida available through the Florida state forest system. Not all of them allow hammock camping (or camping at all), and most require a fee. Call ahead to find out particulars for a certain forest.

Another good resource is the St. John's Water Management website. Many of the SJWM properties allow camping as well, and--as far as I know--they do not charge for use. They don't have any issue with hammocking, either.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    For a stop between Charleston and Savannah, I highly recommend Hunting Island State Park. There's really no campgrounds in the Charleston area to hang, but Hunting Island is maybe a couple hours south of Charleston.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/hu...roduction.aspx

If you'd rather stop and camp somewhere before Charleston, them maybe Santee State Park...you can get info on Santee from the above link as well.

Sounds like an adventurous road trip. Take plenty of pictures to share with the gang. Have fun.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    If your going to be near Lexington, VA then you might as well spend a few nights in Jefferson National Forest on the AT if you can get to it. Blue Ridge Pkwy closes alot when it snows. But if you can get to it, you dont have to pay anything or acquire permits for wilderness camping.There is other roads you can take aside from the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Here is the Cords to a beautiful place to set up camp for a night or two. You have a fresh water source and some preexisting camp sites. No facilities but its a short walk to the car. 37.838462, -79.022784.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    +1 with what xtrekker says from the Blue Ridge Parkway web site. You will be going by Linville Gorge if you do take the parkway.
    Short-term or weather related closures on the Parkway are updated at the park information line at (828) 298 0398.

Construction and maintenance related closures:

From Milepost 355.3 (N.C. 128 access to Mount Mitchell State Park) to Milepost 367.5 (Craggy Gardens picnic area), the Parkway will be closed to all traffic to facilitate slide stabilization from November 1 - mid April, 2013.

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i can be your columbia connection. please pm me
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You'll pass the St. Mary's Wilderness shortly before you get to Lexington. The trail up from St. Marys Road was washed out in 2003, but I was able to find my way up to the falls in 2008. At that time the trail had not been rebuilt. If you stop there, allow at least an hour before dark to find a camp site. We have HF members in Waynesboro and Crozet. Any locals have a more recent update? The area is more commonly reached from above on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I haven't approached from that direction.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Using ENO...so/so
    Insulation
    nothin' yet
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thanks for all the help gang. Of course when planning anything with two other people things change. My brother wants to do the blue ridge in one day. I would prefer to do the blue ridge in two and then camp outside of Ashville for a night. David I will look into your advice about the St. Mary's Wilderness.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Near Charleston
    Campground at James Island County Park
    871 Riverland Drive
    Charleston, SC 29412

Near Columbia
    Congaree National Park
    I love this place
    Trip Report

As mentioned above, Hunting Island is very nice and on the ocean. I'm not sure about hanging opportunities in the campground though.
    We camped in the primitive group area.

Edit:
    Just found this thread on Huntiing Island.
    Last edited by swampfox; 12-07-2012 at 18:50.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts