On a climbing trip over the weekend, and had packed my hammock (A modded TrekMates Expedition - climbing cord cinched ends, and webbing straps) into my bag, just in case, since it took up so little room.

Well, it was worth taking it! We were staying in an old converted barn and i realized there was a perfect area to hang a hammock up, from the roof rafters. 2ft from the floor, but on a balcony 10ft up! So i did the logical thing, and set it up straight away!

Of course, i hadnt planned on sleeping in the hammock, (i took it more for chilling in the day or while out at a crag..), so i wasnt properly prepared. I had a sleeping bag rated to comfort level of 8-12C, extreme of -5C, no sleeping pad, no underquilt or spare sleeping bag. So i thought about it and came to the conclusion that my microfiber towel could go unfolded between the layers of the hammock. That would surely be enough?

It wasnt. I was in the sleeping bag, fully clothed. I was cold (less than 5C in the hut). BUT, i was really comfortable! So comfortable in fact that despite waking up 4-5 times each night to change position or wiggle up/down a bit, i awoke in the mornings feeling fresh and relaxed. Im pretty sure when i got in on the second night, gently swaying from getting in the right position, i was asleep within minutes!

The others were all in sleeping bags on thick, but cheap foam "mattresses" not fancy at all. A good number of them complained "Too many people / so and so knee'd me/ couldnt get comfy, etc". My only complaint was that i was a little cold!

The first night back, in a "proper" bed was last night. I woke up feeling tense and sore. The cheap modded hammock was more comfortable than my bed!

Now i just want to find somewhere to hang it in my room