WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Mason Line for Ridgeline

Anybody know about how much weight is borne by a hammock ridgeline under optimal hang conditions (30* angle)? I know it's not as much as I weigh, but I'm wondering if it would be less than half my weight? The reason I ask is because I'm hoping to use braided mason line for it. I haven't had the stuff fail on me before, but wanted to see if anybody's given this a try.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Mason's line is great for non-load bearing applications only. Max load of under 50lbs.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Actually a structural ridgeline takes a good bit of load. I know of several folks that have had a 300 pound test ridge break. One report I was given by a customer was of his wife getting whipped in the face when the ridgeline broke while she was in the hammock. 450-500 pound test is the lowest I would recommend. We use 1000 pound test dynaglide for our adjustable ridgeline. Don't think that mason line, even if it did not stretch like crazy would be a good choice.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Actually a structural ridgeline takes a good bit of load. I know of several folks that have had a 300 pound test ridge break.
    No kidding! Is a structural ridgeline the kind with the whoopie slings threaded through a locked brummel fixed eye at both ends?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    A structural ridgeline is any that is bearing load in the hammock system. Generally structural ridgelines are used to set the sag of the hammock. Structural ridges can be fixed length or made like a Whoopie sling for adjustment of the sag. They would usually connect at each hammock end onto the primary suspension. A key component to structural ridge is that it does not stretch as the stretch would change the lay/sag of the hammock as it stretches.

An example of a non structural ridgeline could be one that made out of shock cord and be designed to hang an organize, headlamp/lantern, glasses what ever off of. It could be any number of materials but is not used to form and maintain the shape of the hammock like a structural ridge would.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I use braided mason line as a ridge line. Hang your hammock properly at 25 to 30 deg and the stress on the ridgeline is quite light. I can reach up and twist the line through about 90 degrees without difficulty. Use a shallow angle and you load up the ridgeline enormously, in which case you would need dyneema or similar. So far I have not had a ridge line break, but I am really careful about the hang angleAttached is a chart of the stresses involved. Here is a link to a vid by Warbonnet guy showing just how you should hang your hammock.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWlM0pROnpU
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts