underquilt idea help

I am new to hammock camping 1 night logged so far (it was a train wreck, I froze to death). I didn't know anything about having an under quilt. I found some online but they are really expensive. So here is my idea.......I have an old jungle mesh hammock very small and light. I'm thinking i can fold my old rectangle sleeping bag in the jungle hammock and affix it to keep it from sliding around. re-do the hammock suspension with shock cord and hang it tight to the bottom of my hammock. This in theory should hold the sleeping bag underneath my hammock and the shock cord should make it so it conforms with my "sag" of the hammock ill be laying in. i was thinking of small diameter shock cord on the sides to hook onto my ridgeline. Ill try to post some pics when im finished but if you can follow me whats your opinion? This should be virtually free since i already have everything on hand.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Sounds feasable to me, but you might be able to just tie shock cord to the bag instead of using the second Hammock. It might save some weight.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Converting the sleeping bag would be easier - I did one without cutting anything (it still functions as a sleeping bag). All you need to do is add some tabs to the edges and use shock cord for the suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by edge308 View Post
    I am new to hammock camping 1 night logged so far (it was a train wreck, I froze to death). I didn't know anything about having an under quilt. I found some online but they are really expensive. So here is my idea.......I have an old jungle mesh hammock very small and light. I'm thinking i can fold my old rectangle sleeping bag in the jungle hammock and affix it to keep it from sliding around. re-do the hammock suspension with shock cord and hang it tight to the bottom of my hammock. This in theory should hold the sleeping bag underneath my hammock and the shock cord should make it so it conforms with my "sag" of the hammock ill be laying in. i was thinking of small diameter shock cord on the sides to hook onto my ridgeline. Ill try to post some pics when im finished but if you can follow me whats your opinion? This should be virtually free since i already have everything on hand.
    No that won't work. The other hammock will smash all the loft and take away all the warmth. Just do it right the first time. Buy a good UQ.

If you're prepared to carry the sleeping bag anyway then just modify it into an UQ - the only advantage the expensive ones have is weight (OK, and bulk) - a sleeping bag UQ can be just as effective

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    For sure it will work, just don't do anything that will reduce the loft and make sure too get it snugged up good. Or just go with a sleeping pad until you can get you an UQ. You can pick up cheap sleeping pads at Walmart or the like. Closed cell foam works better than inflatables in my opinion and once you get used to it it's not so bad. Anything is better than ground dwelling but you will love it when you get a nice UQ, I recommend HammockGear.com when you get ready to buy one. Good luck!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts