Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question

Noob question

Just bought my first hammock first night out was really bad due to me not knowing what to do to stay warm. Now after doing some research I see the gear needed. So here is the question. I'm a backpacker so weight and space are a concern. I hear that ham mocking is supposed to be lighter than a tent but, by the time you add hammock, tarp, UQ,OQ it just seems like allot more gear and weight than my solo tent. I just want to get everything down and keep researching because hammocking appears to be expensive. Thanks allot. Keep in mind funds are not unlimited here so I'm willing to make some sacrifice of weight and space for comfort and flexible site selection. I currently carry a 60 backpack. I'm looking at a homemade under quilt and changing to whopping slings (for what I understand they are strong, adjustable, and lightweight) thanks for any tips that can get me started and after I get hooked on hanging I can slowly upgrade my gear to better smaller and lighter. I know anyone can go drop a bunch of cash and end up with a 1lb condominium but you have to start somewhere thank guys you all have been very helpful.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Most folks around here will tell you the first thing to do is to watch Shug's video series--He covers all aspects in an educational and entertaining way. A second step is to see if there are any group hangs close by where you could see and try some other's rigs to see what you like and to pick their brains about gear and set-ups. A third step is to see about some of the ways in which some of the backpacking gear you already have can be adapted; it is possible to get by with a CCF pad and a sleeping bag as a top quilt in a lot of situations. You've come to the right spot--it is possible to get into hammocks without spending a fortune--it's definitely worth it to do so. Good luck in the learning curve.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    No ever said hammock camping is lighter than tenting but it can be depending on the tent, sleeping bag, and pad you are using.

Tent Fly = Hammock tarp

Tent = Hammock

Sleeping bag = Top Quilt (TQ)

Pad = Under Quilt (UQ) or pad

What many of us hangers gain is an excellent nights sleep compared to a terrible nights sleeping on th ground. Also hammock hangers usually have more options as to where to set up there hammocks as we do not need level ground free of rocks and tree roots.

Go to a group hammock hang where you can check out a variety of different setups.

I have a variety of TQs and UQs so depending on the weather my Hammock, tarp, TQ, UQ, Stakes, tie out lines and a pillow weights in at under 6 lbs for summer time. Changing to my winter TQ and UQ may add a couple of pounds.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Dos and many others have hiked the entire AT with their hammock setup. It can be done, and there are many UL hikers here....I am not one of them, that I can assure you but it is being done over and over again. The cost of the special materials you need are higher, but that's the price you have to pay to reach your goal.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    im just a little bit ahead of you on the whole get off the ground journey.this forum is the greatest for learning what you need to know.post ads here there is a large amount of gear hanging in closets that might be for sale.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I am a newbie too. I am also on a limited budget. I would suggest that you do what I am doing, I research like crazy until I find the best set up. And then I slowly save for it. It may take me a while and possibly even years, but I will have a great set up. Just be patient, don't go out and by new everything.... you will end up needing something else. Hammock forums is a great place to research. Go on group hangs and check out other gear. Then make an informed decision.

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I am a newbie too. I am also on a limited budget. I would suggest that you do what I am doing, I research like crazy until I find the best set up. And then I slowly save for it. It may take me a while and possibly even years, but I will have a great set up. Just be patient, don't go out and by new everything.... you will end up needing something else. Hammock forums is a great place to research. Go on group hangs and check out other gear. Then make an informed decision.
    I agree completely. I remember years ago when I started camping alot. I had some friends with the coolest gear and I sooooo wanted the cool gear. BUT, being on the limited budget my wife and I had it did not happen. Instead, I looked, learned, and saved. I never did get all the "cool" gear. Because I realized some of it was just a waste of money. What I did end up with years later is a crapload or useful, quality gear. I am just starting hammocking but I am sure in a few years I will have plenty of useful items with minimal wasted money, thanks to all the people here posting what they know.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    I know the whole hammock thing can be overwhelming and trust me I was there just like you (in some ways I'm still learning.) "This hammock thing is expensive...." But part of that is if you were a ground dweller before then you have to start all over....sorta.

I started with a Grand Trunk Ultralight at $14 and I used that and pretty much nothing else. No tarp or pad bc of the climate I'm in, no rain or cold for most of the year.

Now winter is different but here is a tip on staying warm. You probably have a sleeping bag, if so then you can get a cheap close cell foam pad and you can cut it a bit to fit inside your SB. That worked for me for a while until better gear was obtained.

Now the next and important thing is sales sales sales. I try never to buy full price gear. In the hammock world that can be hard bc most of the companies are fellow hammockers that are making a living on there product. But even they have sales.

I hope this info can help a bit but continue searching on this site, numerous of knowledge on it from great folks that want to help.....

G
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Dweller7 a member here, makes very affordable whoopie slings, continuous loops, and adjustable ridgelines. I love his work. Just give him a pm.

Our first year of hammocking, in order to make things more affordable until I could get the stuff for a proper UQ, we used the no sew version of the poncho liner uq. There are ways just to be able to get out there and enjoy the experience, while working towards your ultimate goal.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    +1 oh Shug's videos. I learned a LOT from those videos.

I'm a backpacker so weight and space are a concern. I hear that ham mocking is supposed to be lighter than a tent but, by the time you add hammock, tarp, UQ,OQ it just seems like allot more gear and weight than my solo tent. I just want to get everything down and keep researching because hammocking appears to be expensive.
    Here's where I am on weight.

Old system:

REI Clipper Tent: 5 lbs
    HiTech self inflating pad (Thermarest copy) 3 lbs
    REI 15 degree Shasta Bag : 4lbs 6 oz
    Total: 12 lbs 6 ounces

New System:
    DIY SilNylon cat cut tarp, 12x10 : 1# 1oz with tieout lines
    stakes, tarp line and tarp flyz : 4 oz
    DIY Hammock, tree slings, whoopie slings : 1# 5 oz
    3/4 length gray ensolite pad. 10 oz
    REI 15 degree Shasta Bag : 4lbs 6 oz
    Total 7 pounds 10 ounces.

With a down underquilt and top quilt I can get rid of the sleeping bag and pad. I should be able to get a 20 degree TQ/UQ system built for under 3 pounds. That should bring the sleeping system down to under 6 pounds total. So there is quite a significant weight savings. Even if I started with a lighter Big Agnus tent and a lighter sleeping bag and pad my tent/pad/sleeping bag weight would still be close to 8 pounds. So moving to the hammock system is still a big weight savings.

But the other advantage I have is that because I use a structural ridge line by "sag" is always the same. So no matter where I hang my sleeping system always feels exactly the same. Once I got use to sleeping in the hammock (and it took 4 or 5 practice nights) I found that I sleep much better. Because it's so consistent I know that I'm going to sleep well when backpacking. It's odd, but when I crawl into that hammock I feel like I'm home. No matter how different my camp layout is, my sleeping system is always the same.

If I had a solo tarp tent, lightweight air mattress, and down quilt I could probably get my weight down even lower, but I wouldn't have the comfort that I do with a hammock. Plus, I can DIY most of my hammock gear so the financial cost is much lower than buying a $300 down bag, a $90 super light air mattress and a $250 Six Moons Designs solo tarp tent.

I like that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast