Re -stuffing a sleeping bag

ok heres the deal..i dont have a down bag.and i need one.I do have a military (ECW)extreme cold weather bag stuffed full of down.This bag is way to heavy to carry hiking.I was thinking of cutting it open and getting the down out.Then cutting open my extra bag and restuffing it then sewing it back together............i will jus have like 60 bucks in a down bag thats why im considering it......any thoughts or links would be helpfull

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have one of these bags too. The down is going to be hard to get out because the use synthetic insulation with it. However I'm sure you will be able to get a good bit of low quality down out. The biggest problem with low quality down is it clumps together. If it works though let me know and I will send you my bag for free.

If you try it and it fails you are only out of a sleeping bag you weren't going to use anyhow.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I did the same thing last year making a quilt. I works pretty good. A few things to remember. it makes a mess this bears repeating, down goes everywhere! Just Jeff has some great ideas about how to deal with this.
    yis,erin

Quote Originally Posted by blackedoutcoupe View Post
    ok heres the deal..i dont have a down bag.and i need one.I do have a military (ECW)extreme cold weather bag stuffed full of down.This bag is way to heavy to carry hiking.I was thinking of cutting it open and getting the down out.Then cutting open my extra bag and restuffing it then sewing it back together............i will jus have like 60 bucks in a down bag thats why im considering it......any thoughts or links would be helpfull
    Not a good idea, even if it is down (it is likely synthetic) it'll likely be half chicken turds and feathers. Remember, the government bought it for guys who are "expendable".

oh lol how funny .maybe ill jus buy one. and save it for car camping.......thanks guys

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    It's definitely doable (I've done it,) but expect down and feathers everywhere! I used a shop vac to suck the down out of the bag after cutting open a hole in each baffle, which was a PITA. You then have to rip open the whole bag anyway to get the clumps that won't come out with the shop vac. I had a very large cardboard box that I would dump the shop vac into. Extremely messy - looked like chicken armageddon took place in my yard for several days after, until the wind finally took most of the loose feathers away. I still have down floating around in my garage. But it worked, and I have one more bag that I will be doing the same again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can't remember the site where I read it, but using a tent (see, they still have a use) to move the down around makes clean-up a bit easier. Just take everything with you into the tent (including shop-vac) and start the transfer. At least you only have to vacuum the tent when you're done.

But, order some quality down. The older mil bags are usually full of what TAK calls "chicken turds". 6 oz of down from the Speers will get you a summer weight down quilt for $60. Or, spend another $30 and get a 3-season quilt.

• + New Posts