Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    Nicely put, Cannibal....several times.
    X2 to that sodagrrl.

I like the rules as they stand.
    When I log on to HF I want to read about hammocks and hammock related topics and activites. Not movies, beer, sports, the latest steepandcheap deal.
    I prefer our vendors because what I get in customer service is well worth any additional cost.

Props to the mods here, it would drive me crazy to have to read every thread every day. Man talk about turning a hobby into work.....

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it! And HF ain't broke!

I love the way HF is moderated. I certainly don't want to add more workload for them!

I also buy just about all my equipment from cottage vendors (even before discovering HF) because they make a lighter, better product followed by better service than commercial vendors do. It's essentially buying custom gear.

And like Shug said, my email is overwhelmed by commercial sites hawking their wares on a daily basis.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Another one here that is more than happy with the way the site is run. Even although I'm a noob, I can see how much work the mods out in to keep this a great place to learn and share information!
    We don't need it filled with spam that one fan find by doing a quick Google search, even if it is a good deal!

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    if the big chain providers had their way they would use advertisement and over production to drop prices until the small man was crushed.the short term would be a cheap price for now,but later after the small man dies off prices go up to make up their losses.we would all be stuck with heavy gear with no research and development of new lighter products.i dont feel my opinion is important because im new, but i wouldnt want h f to look like my e mail after people you buy from sell your information to the masses,it looks like a spam bomb went off .

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

Cottage vendor

I completely agree with putting a break on big commercial influance. The one area that I have an opinion about is cottage industry vendors that have been members way before vending and have demonstrated a contribution to the hammock community with their ideas and product development. Although the products they offer are not specifically hammocks they do and have added obvious complimentary attributes for the hammock camper/backpacker. Ultralight backpacking is an idea I think goes hand in hand with the reason many choose to go with a hammock at all. Is there any room for a vendor space for the cottage vendors that happen to be outstanding positive members such as the likes of Luke of Lukesultralight.com?

Respectfully
    HamMike

P.S. Holy **** that was my 2000th post!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I like HF just the way it is. I mainly use HF for ideas, and tips for DIY projects, and to show off my DIY stuff. I like to shop the HF approved vendors. If I want to go to a big chain, I go to their site. Besides, the big guys don't cater to us. And the For Sale forum is great, get rid of gear you don't use, or buy gear you've always wanted! Thanks to mods and members, HF is the best site ever!
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    HH Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have to vote for HF to stay the way it is. That being said, the cottage vendors really do offer competitive prices anyways. I have bought a couple of things off them and have never had buyer's remorse. That cannot be said for some of the products a have purchased in big box stores.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Also have to vote to HF to stay the way it is. I done only one tarp purchase but have to say that next camping related things I'm going to buy from cottages not from big box stores.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've benefited from some of those "deal" threads, but I understand from where the mods are coming. You all run a great ship here and I'll defer to your judgement. I'd much rather talk about hammocks and hammock camping and give the cottage people a safe harbor.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I've benefited from some of those "deal" threads, but I understand from where the mods are coming. You all run a great ship here and I'll defer to your judgement. I'd much rather talk about hammocks and hammock camping and give the cottage people a safe harbor.
    Safe harbor is a great metaphor. The REI's and Campmor's will get to me other ways. I want HF to be about hammock things and vendors, people I know and trust. I look to other places for lowest price on things they offer, though not often.

Good constructive thread, and as always, thanks to the mods.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast