Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

HF's PayPal Policy - why it's important

I know that some people simply don't like to follow rules, and that's something we deal with as it comes up. Others, though, will follow the rules if they understand why they're in place. (And still others follow the rules because they gave their word when they agreed to our TOS when they signed up...but not everyone cares about keeping their word.)

So here's why HF says you can't use PayPal's Gift Option when you make a sale.

1 - It's against PayPal's terms of service.
    2 - PayPal once froze the HammockForums account because our members were using the gift option and breaking PayPal's terms of service.
    3 - It protects the buyer in case of fraud. You can't file a complaint with PayPal if you use the gift option. This happens very rarely on HF, but it happens.

So if you use the gift option for selling/buying items in HF's marketplace, you risk getting OUR account frozen again. That's not cool.

It's clearly posted in the TOS that transactions cannot use the gift option, so sellers should factor that into the asking price. Our community here operates on mutual respect and manners...and it's very rude to ask another member in PM (after you have agreed upon the sale terms in the thread) to change the terms. That puts them on the spot, and risks something that's a benefit to this entire forum. We've gotten complaints about this happening, and we will remove access for it.

Most of our members follow the rules because it's the right thing to do, and we thank all of you for that. We don't make random rules because of a power trip...there's a specific reason for each one. We'll even explain the reasons if you ask, rather than trying to sneak around them. Breaking your word to abide by the terms of service is not only disrespectful, it's harmful to the community. We don't tolerate much of either here; it's what makes HF special.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

The gift option always sounds like a way to save a couple of bucks, but I have completely stopped using it unless someone WANTS to pay me that way, or just does it on their own. {not on HF} of course.

Reason being, I have had to make 2 different claims for one reason or another, and if I had used the gift option on either transaction, I would have been left high and dry.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    ZQ here....from the sellers view....all of JJ's reason, and a big plus...PayPal allows First Class shipping. Printing a FC label thru PayPal includes a tracking number at no additional charge. Shipping costs are a bit less also. No FC label printing on the USPS website.
    So, if you think you are doing a favor for the seller paying as a gift....in my opinion...being able to print a label and putting it out for pick-up is a big time saver for me, with the added benefits I mentioned.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree.

I also find it distasteful when I see sellers also asking for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees. I view offering PayPal and the associated fees as a cost of doing business. I also account for that in the price I either charge or accept for any given item.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    +1 on both

I have not purchased items for both reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I agree.

I also find it distasteful when I see sellers also asking for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees. I view offering PayPal and the associated fees as a cost of doing business. I also account for that in the price I either charge or accept for any given item.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Ok but if I'm paying for a donating memeber status do I pay it as a service or a gift?
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcruzin View Post
    Ok but if I'm paying for a donating memeber status do I pay it as a service or a gift?
    When you click the Donate button, it doesn't even give you the option.

If you're sending it directly (only done if paying for someone else's membership), you should always use the Service option.

Unless you're sending money as a Gift to a friend or family, you should never use the Gift option.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I love the professional way that the mods run HammockForums! Just another stellar example of it
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I only sail on a tightly run ship.
    God job and a pat and slap on the back to all the Moderators))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    When you click the Donate button, it doesn't even give you the option.

If you're sending it directly (only done if paying for someone else's membership), you should always use the Service option.

Unless you're sending money as a Gift to a friend or family, you should never use the Gift option.
    Ok thank you. I will remember in the future.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast