Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
I amended my post to include the usual safety margin for human loads: 10-15 to 1.
Pick a midpoint of 12.5 and divide 1600 by it:
128lb

As though Shug pulled it from a hat.
'cause Shug is a power-of-two kind of guy!

The most recent roll of Amsteel I bought was 1/8" (by the 12.5:1 rule, 200 lbs). I'm still working off, using, and giving to others the last bits of my 7/64", meaning that for all practical purposes, I'm acting as though I believe 7/64" is safe enough for me. That said, the multiplier effect (1/8" is a little over 1.5 times heavier and 1.5 times stronger than 7/64") doesn't apply to diameter (it's only 14% larger that way) and so the increase in packing bulk between the two is not as great. This is one of those places in the tradeoff space where the gain in safety is so great relative to increase in weight that it makes sense to me.

I should also add that I've had a Vectran line rated to 2000 lbs (if memory serves) snap. It was a structural ridgeline, under a lot of tension, there was a knot and I suppose I dropped into the hammock rather than ease into it.

so these safety margins and knots verus splicing do matter in hammocking, a point that Demostix repeats, and I here echo.

and I ease into hammocks now!