DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Somehow I missed this thread. Wow, LB! Very nice looking winter-beater sock. I really like all the features you built in, especially the floor and the side snuggers. Glad your initial tests are positive. I'm going to have to make another sock.

Concerning the condensation...Do you have a way to measure the humidity in the sock as well as temp? I'm wondering if having the sock fit looser is allowing for any humidity to equalize to a lower concentration before it can condensate. With less space inside, snugged up to the UQ, the humidity is at a higher concentration. The frost bib helps because it traps the water keeping overall humidity inside lower. Make sense?

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Been following each day, Lost. Thanks for the performance reports. Since winter's my fav time, something like this would sure come in handy. Excellent work!

.....between you and Detail Man, I may finally be pushed over the DIY cliff!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    A baby food jar with a tea candle suspended from the ridgeline with wire.
    amazing.

Glad I am following this thread.
    You are definitely inspiring me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Go ahead and dive off, Home Run, but first check out Lost Biker's DIY wingsuit/hammock/UQ/TQ with integral suspension and my DIY parachute/tarp/sock/poncho. Then you'll be sure you reach the ground safely to setup and hang with the rest of us.
    Last edited by Detail Man; 11-29-2012 at 09:47. Reason: grammer

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Cool!!! Err...I mean Hot!!!!
    There's another post from someone in the forums with the same idea. The glass jar doesn't get hot at all. All the heat goes straight up. Sadly, there's not enough light to read by.

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Somehow I missed this thread. Wow, LB! Very nice looking winter-beater sock. I really like all the features you built in, especially the floor and the side snuggers. Glad your initial tests are positive. I'm going to have to make another sock.

Concerning the condensation...Do you have a way to measure the humidity in the sock as well as temp? I'm wondering if having the sock fit looser is allowing for any humidity to equalize to a lower concentration before it can condensate. With less space inside, snugged up to the UQ, the humidity is at a higher concentration. The frost bib helps because it traps the water keeping overall humidity inside lower. Make sense?
    Thanks Detail Man. You know, I didn't think about posting the humidity levels outside and inside. I'll start doing that tonight and post back. Yes, it makes sense that the wet levels are higher with the sock snugged up. Isn't science fun?
    Actually I feel a bit like Frankenstein and his monster sock.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Run View Post
    Been following each day, Lost. Thanks for the performance reports. Since winter's my fav time, something like this would sure come in handy. Excellent work!

.....between you and Detail Man, I may finally be pushed over the DIY cliff!
    Thanks for the kind words. I must have been a test dummy in a former life!

Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    amazing.

Glad I am following this thread.
    You are definitely inspiring me.
    Thanks Dos!

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Go ahead and dive off, Home Run, but first check out Lost Biker's DIY wingsuit/hammock/UQ/TQ with integral suspension and my DIY parachute/tarp/sock/poncho. Then you'll be sure you reach the ground safely to setup and hang with the rest of us.
    Next I'll have to figure how to add cannon to repel boarders - this thing is big and growing. I'll bring it to the Mt. Rogers hang in January.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Interesting how a little thing like an analog humidity indicator can tell you so much. It only got down to 40*last night and the humidity level was 65% at 10 PM. Inside the sock, the humidity level rose to 85% after 1 hour. When I woke up at 5:30 AM the temp was still 40 outside and humidity was 60% (outside). Now inside the sock was 90% humidity! The temp was 55* - I was warm and slept very well (I'm a very cold sleeper). I did not use the bib last night.

The humidity levels were with the sock walls pulled up. I did have a very small amount of condensation around the head area. I checked the bottom of the sock and there was a little puddle (size of a dime) in the middle of the waterproof fabric where it trickled down off the walls. My UQ was dry as the sock wasn't touching it. Amazingly, I did not sweat at all.

I'll leave the walls down tonight, but the temps are only going down to 37* as per the weather people. I need some below freezing temps to really see how humid it gets inside the sock. I expect the levels to be high.

I wasn't too surprised, and it made me think a bit. Oh well, one night at a time.

This is Lost_Biker reporting from the Sock Cave. Have a good day!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Good info on the humidity inside and out. With a 90% level, you can be sure the quilts were loaded to pretty high.

The temp difference, inside to outside, of the quilt will force it farther out in the quilt.
    If the temps are colder than freezing inside the sock, there will be a "frozen" line in the quilt at the temp change area, holding the moisture there, and eventually causing wet out of the insulation.
    Not a big concern for an overnight, if you can dry stuff out daily, but on a longer trip can be a real issue.

Venting is VERY important, to carry off the moisture laden air.

Using the frost bib also forces the breath moisture to one end of the sock, which allows the quilts to exhaust the moisture easier.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I took today and cleaned up the sock - restitched a few things, added a zipper, made the suspension more permanent. Yes, I added a zipper. It's frown shape and allows me all kinds of options for entry/exit/venting/letting the cats jump in and out/etc.

I actually got tired of lowering the door for the 2 cats that love to sleep in the hammock with me - so I added another door - who has who trained is the real question.

So here's the final pictures. I'm very interested in the venting properties of the zipper door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! Nice work on the zipper. This sock is going through quite the evolutionary process. Or is it that you are just looking for excuses to sleep in your hammock?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Wow! Nice work on the zipper. This sock is going through quite the evolutionary process. Or is it that you are just looking for excuses to sleep in your hammock?
    Both, actually! I sleep in my hammock full time - over 500 nights so far. I can't sleep on a bed (no matter what kind) due to arthritis. The sock is an accumulation of everything I wanted in a sock - and then some. I love my hammock

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast