Quote Originally Posted by floorman View Post
Looks good and innovated idea. Just wondering if having the floor touching the ground adds warmth? I'm thinking not letting air move under as well as the ground would be warmer that the air may help. Any thoughts.
Thank-you floorman. The floor touching the ground is only for changing clothes and for storing stuff - thats originally why I made it with a waterproof bottom. The funny thing is that I have no condensation with the floor on the ground and I have a good 15* increase in inside temps. When I pull up the sides and bottom to snug it up around the hammock, I start to get condensation when it gets below 25*. Above 25 and it's fine. Also the walls go way above my ridgeline - over 12" - so it could be due to the huge volume of air thats trapped.

It's a puzzle to be sure. I tried a regular sock a couple nights ago and I had much more condensation - it was made from DWR material also - it was also form fitting and the walls only went up about 6" above my ridgeline. Both socks definitely trapped heat - anywhere from 10 to 20*.

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
The sock is creating a dead air space below the hammock, so it is certainly helping to retain heat that way. However once the ground freezes I would imagine that there may be a sudden appearance of frost in the bottom of the sock as water vapor within the sock would then condense and freeze on the bottom. Just my hypothesis on the situation. Would be interesting to find out extended use results.
Thanks Catavarie. Thats the thing - there's a huge amount of dead air space due to the sock size. I am curious about how it will perform in snow. It already is frosting heavily here in Indiana and With the sock bottom touching the ground, I have no condensation. Now when I have the bottom pulled up to form fit the hammock - then I get condensation started, but not a huge amount.