Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    What is the weight on these?
    I am told, but have not independently verified, that the weight is 2.6oz/sq yd and that the 90x156 monsters come in at roughly 28oz

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    I am told, but have not independently verified, that the weight is 2.6oz/sq yd and that the 90x156 monsters come in at roughly 28oz
    28 oz? Yikes, sounds a little heavy for me. My Snipe is plenty big at 18 ounces with mods and slings. Sounds like a good backyard hammock, but a little heavy for hiking.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    28 oz? Yikes, sounds a little heavy for me. My Snipe is plenty big at 18 ounces with mods and slings. Sounds like a good backyard hammock, but a little heavy for hiking.
    Keep in mind the size. That is a 13 foot long hammock with a 7.5 food width. If you go with a mot moderately sized tablecloth hammock, say 60"x126" (5 feet wide by 10.5 feet long); that one, using the same numbers, will weigh 15 oz.

Though, you could still get a low base-weight if that monster was your luxury item.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    Keep in mind the size. That is a 13 foot long hammock with a 7.5 food width. If you go with a mot moderately sized tablecloth hammock, say 60"x126" (5 feet wide by 10.5 feet long); that one, using the same numbers, will weigh 15 oz.

Though, you could still get a low base-weight if that monster was your luxury item.
    Thanks Insaniac. I notice Dutch is selling some light Argon for amazing prices. Is there a benefit to the taffeta? Softer? Or is it simply the simplicity given it's being already hemmed plus the low price?

Great thread, guys! Very helpful as I consider my first DIY hammock.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    I tried one because it's cheap and easy. Now I've got an open hammock for chilling out while car camping when we bring the big old family t-word.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Insaniac. I notice Dutch is selling some light Argon for amazing prices. Is there a benefit to the taffeta? Softer? Or is it simply the simplicity given it's being already hemmed plus the low price?

Great thread, guys! Very helpful as I consider my first DIY hammock.
    The tablecloth is super simple and cheap while being stronger than the common ripstop if I remember correctly.

Argon is has a better strength to weight ratio and is supposed to feel amazing on the skin but I haven't tried it yet. It is relatively new stuff.

Hammock
    hh ex deluxe, diy hyper d 1.6
    Suspension
    amsteel speed hook
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I made a couple this past spring, the bigger versions (by far my favorite hammock), and my teen son will get in mine with me and mess with my head by swinging the living crap out of it, because he knows it scares me. That's a total of 365 lbs in it, plus the forces of the swinging. I've not crashed yet....Thank God! I think the simple fact that the suspension holds up to this crazy test of his is just amazing...more so than the hammock itself. I do get really upset though, I feel like it's a constant test of the Hammock Higher Powers that be, and eventually they'll stop protecting me.
    4 people. 674 pounds

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Pluq/MSS mummy bag
    Suspension
    Kubinec 3/4in
    Hey so I tried using a 90x156 polyester crinkle taffeta tablecloth from tableclothfactory.com. I attached my suspension using a double sheet bend.
    After a few hours of really comfortable sleep, I suddenly wake up on the ground! The material ripped straight across my shoulders. So, after spending the next few nights on the ground. I order a new tablecloth from the same place after scouring the forum about this method, assuring myself it was a one of a kind situation. Upon inspection of this new blank of the same size and fabric, I notice several "inconsistencies" in the weave of the material. Which is my only guess as to why it failed so suddenly.
    I only weigh 190, I'm tall and skinny and I 'm pretty uneasy about moving around in this new hammock. I don't know how these other guys have managed to hang 300lbs in one of these, but I certainly would hesitate to try.
    Just something to consider, I usually learn more from bad reviews of products than the good.
    I think I'll be choosing a different source of material for my diy hammocks though.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolichu View Post
    Hey so I tried using a 90x156 polyester crinkle taffeta tablecloth from tableclothfactory.com. I attached my suspension using a double sheet bend.
    After a few hours of really comfortable sleep, I suddenly wake up on the ground! The material ripped straight across my shoulders. So, after spending the next few nights on the ground. I order a new tablecloth from the same place after scouring the forum about this method, assuring myself it was a one of a kind situation. Upon inspection of this new blank of the same size and fabric, I notice several "inconsistencies" in the weave of the material. Which is my only guess as to why it failed so suddenly.
    I only weigh 190, I'm tall and skinny and I 'm pretty uneasy about moving around in this new hammock. I don't know how these other guys have managed to hang 300lbs in one of these, but I certainly would hesitate to try.
    Just something to consider, I usually learn more from bad reviews of products than the good.
    I think I'll be choosing a different source of material for my diy hammocks though.
    That is the downside of the tablecloths, you take your chances.
    Pros: $12-$18 for a hammock blank, extra width if desired
    Cons: it's a tablecloth and there may be issues with the cloth leading to catastrophic failure

I've been lucky for the most part, 30+ tablecloth hammocks, 1 failure.

With the advent of the newer fabrics, 4 yards at less than $20, hem it and you have a quality hammock OR a $30 hammock from Dutchwaregear.com, there are better options in the same price range.

What I do like about the tablecloths is the W type fold and the ability to dial in the edges of the fabric and adjust comfort levels.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Diy tablecloth hammocks in use.