Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

DIY Tablecloth Hammock (the way I do it)

I just thought I'd take a few minutes to try and explain how I make my tablecloth hammocks. There are lots of great ways to go about this. This is just how I do it. Hopefully someone can use some of this information.

I use the 60x126 Crinkle Taffeta. I've made some with the larger table cloths, but this is the size that I like the best.

Here's a link to where I order mine: http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

The tablecloths come to me like this.

I find one of the short sides and just start folding it on itself (like an accordian). When I've folded the entire side I pull the outer edges about 2" out from the rest.

For the whipping I use amsteel, but you could use just about anything I would think. I fold it over and then just start wrapping it around itself. I like to get this as tight as I can. Once I've done about 10 to 12 wraps I stick the end through the loop that I have left and pull the other end until the loop goes up into the whipping about halfway. Then I just cut the ends to make things look pretty.

At this point you could just throw some suspension on it and be done, but I like to add the knotty mod to mine, and since it's so easy, I don't see any reason "k"not to (a little rope humor there)

The tablecloth comes with a perfect hem all the way around it. I just use this hem as the channel for my shock cord. I use a small nail, but you could use just about anything that would make a hole about the size you need. I put one hole about 18" from the end of the hammock and another hole about 3' from that. I thread the shock cord through and attach a cord lock to the side that will be closest to me while I'm in the hammock. On the other end I just tie a couple of simple knots to keep it from slipping through the hole. You could use another cord lock here, but I don't see the need.

After that I just slap some whoopies on it and I'm ready to hang out!

These things really do make great hammocks. They are very easy to make and I feel the comfort rivals those that you could pay much much more for. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them here, or pm me. I'll do my best to help out.
    Last edited by Caveman; 11-15-2012 at 21:47.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Just purchased some crinkle tablecloths to make several for family. can you use paracord to hang your hammock if you double it. i was thinking of doubling a 20' piece to make a 10' length and tying a series of knots to use for adjustment points, using a carabiner on the hammock to attach to rope setup. is this setup ok to use or what type of cord could i use. weight would not be an issue. new to hanging

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    I've never tried to use paracord. I'm not sure what the stretch would be like. Maybe some others will chime in on that. I use amsteel and tree straps.

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    amsteel or dynaglyde. that stuffs even smaller and lighter with a 1000lb strength at only 1.8mm
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

What is the purpose of the shock cord in the hem? Does it go on both sides?

I have six pieces on order for holiday presents for family. Looking forward to setting them all up.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Great job Caveman and thank you for all the help...

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Paracord stretches quite a bit. Someone posted a stretch test here a few months ago and I was surprised at the amount it stretched. For the $ amount (actually cents) per foot and the relatively small amount of Amsteel needed for a set of whoopies, it only makes sense to go the DIY route, or buy from one of the cottage vendors here if you have nothing but thumbs. IMHO ... HYOH ... etc, etc.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Great primer! Thanks!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    She shock cord in the hem is just a knotty mod. It pulls up the slack on the edges and prevents the flappy fabric. It also helps prevent your top quilt from falling out of the hammock. It's not necessary, I just find it useful.

Oh ya, it goes on both sides. Just put it on opposite ends.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice tutorial- thanks for sharing! I have two TC coming in the mail and planning on making a DL. I like the knotty mod... wondering if it should be on the top or bottom layer of my DIY or on both layers?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast