Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Permethrin Kit

Here's a kit I put together for diluting 40% permethrin to treat clothing and gear.

In the past I've used Sawyers and Repel Permanone products. The Repel product just didn't last very long. Last year I treated my gear with 10% permethrin purchased at Tractor Supply. It worked but the scent of the petroleum distillates was pretty strong (at first).

This year I saw 40% permethrin at Tractor Supply. My thinking was that by using a more concentrated permethrin, there would be less distillates in each batch, so less smell.

Since 40% is 80 times more than the 0.5% used for treating clothing the product needed to be diluted at an 80:1 ratio. The Sawyer dunk product comes in 6oz bottles. Converting to metric, that's 180mL per bottle. 180mL/80=2.25mL, which is the amount of permethrin in the Sawyer bottle. But for dunking Sawyer has you dump the contents into a bag and the fill the bottle with water twice more, dumping that into the bag as well. 3x6oz=18oz of total liquid to treat one set of clothes.

I found a syringe from an old inkjet printer refill kit and used it to pull 2.5mL out of the 40% permethrin bottle. Rather than add that to a 6oz bottle and then need to dump two more 6 oz bottle of water in, I simply shot the permethrin into a 20oz Coke bottle filled with water.

To have some 0.5% around for spraying, I added 10mL of permethrin to a 24oz spray bottle and labeled it accordingly. EDIT: Per Oh-No, Permethrin has very limited shelf life once mixed with water, so only mix when needed.

Just treated three sets of clothing and a couple of hammocks. There is definitely much less smell in the fabric using this method.

Here's the kit.

Here's the Sawyer dunk product label.
    Last edited by Knotty; 05-20-2011 at 00:40.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Great article Knotty - definitely will track the discussions that will occur here.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Last year I treated my gear with 10% permethrin purchased at Tractor Supply. It worked but the scent of the petroleum distillates was pretty strong (at first).
    Same here. It does go away, just takes a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    This year I saw 40% permethrin at Tractor Supply. My thinking was that by using a more concentrated permethrin, there would be less distillates in each batch, so less smell.
    Dadgum it! Why didn't I think of that?!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Awesome! How much was that lifetime supply bottle?

I need to go see if Lowes/Home depot have something similar... I don't have any tractor supply/livestock feed type stores within 40 miles of me...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I couldn't find any of that stuff, even at Farm and Fleet. I ordered some 10% off Amazon. I was going to mix up a batch and start spraying this weekend.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Just curious if treated clothing helps eliminate the bites to exposed skin; in other words, reduce the amount of deet, etc on your skin?

Additionally, I too am curious of where to get this, and also if this particular brand label allows for use on clothing. I recall another thread where someone called the manufacture, and they said it was against the law to use the chemical other than what was directed. Not trying to open a can of worms here, just very interested in this as my kids always have mosquito bites that swell up.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Once the permethrin (actually permethrin, petroleum solvents, and emulsifiers)
    is mixed with water, the emulsion has a limited life. That is after some time
    (days-weeks? depends on the emulsifiers, temp etc.) the permethrin will settle
    out and even shaking will not make for an even dispersal of the active ingredient.

So the advise is: Use what you mix up in a short period of time.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    That's a nice article Knotty. I know you folks have a tougher bug problem than we do out here, but it looks like you have the right stuff to combat them. Being that I am ignorant about the stuff, my first thought was "What happens when someone washes their clothes in a lake or stream? Will wildlife suffer as a result? If there is any harm, is it less or more than other products?" This isn't criticism, just my curiosity from a perspective of zero knowledge about the product.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    Just curious if treated clothing helps eliminate the bites to exposed skin; in other words, reduce the amount of deet, etc on your skin?

In my experience so far, YES! I don't think I would trust bare skin with NO bug spray on it, even when some/most of my clothing is treated with Permethrin. But so far, when I have gone out either not bothering to put bug dope on my skin but just taking some with me in case- or when I have simply forgotten the stuff for my skin- I have gotten away with it. Really, I mostly never even see or hear a bug/whining mossy. Conversely, working in the yard the other day with no treated clothes and only bug spray, I still got a bite or two on my left little finger, where I apparently failed to cover with bug spray. I don't think I have ever had a bite when using treated clothing. Still, generally I think it is safer to spray DEET or preferably for me 15-20% Picaridin ( NOT PERMETHRIN!) on exposed skin, and mostly I do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    That's a nice article Knotty. I know you folks have a tougher bug problem than we do out here, but it looks like you have the right stuff to combat them. Being that I am ignorant about the stuff, my first thought was "What happens when someone washes their clothes in a lake or stream? Will wildlife suffer as a result? If there is any harm, is it less or more than other products?" This isn't criticism, just my curiosity from a perspective of zero knowledge about the product.
    It is supposed to bind pretty well to the clothing. It is supposed to take about 6 machine washings to get it out of your clothing. If you did manage to get some in a stream/lake, I THINK the results would be miniscule. Consider the amount of .5% sprayed on a pair of pants. Then think about managing to get SOME of that to come off in a stream crossing, thus diluting it down hundreds/thousands or millions more times. It SEEMS any efect would be miniscule. But who knows for sure?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-19-2011 at 17:45.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    Once the permethrin (actually permethrin, petroleum solvents, and emulsifiers)
    is mixed with water, the emulsion has a limited life. That is after some time
    (days-weeks? depends on the emulsifiers, temp etc.) the permethrin will settle
    out and even shaking will not make for an even dispersal of the active ingredient.

So the advise is: Use what you mix up in a short period of time.
    Good to know. Will only mix as needed in the future.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast