View Poll Results: Which underquilt would you choose and why? [multiple choices available]

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3/4 20*

49 40.16%
  • 3/4 0*

9 7.38%
  • FL 20*

44 36.07%
  • FL 0*

28 22.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Another question though. Considering the coldest weather I have slept in was around 20*(I used a synthetic sleeping bag to wrap up in), could I actually go to 0 in a zero uq and tq? Or would I have to use a pad as well?
    1st, People vary greatly, that's the problem with ratings. 2nd, let's face it. UQs can be tricky. There are an awful lot of people around here who have started threads where they are having trouble getting within 10 or 20* of the ratings of very high quality UQs. While others have no trouble at all. Though they may not have any trouble with top warmth. These UQs really require a perfect fit for the hammock and user with NO drafty leaks around the edges and no gaps under you. Actually, the same thing applies to a TQ as far as drafts go.

So even if you are a warm to average sleeper, who can easily do 0F on the ground with a pad and high quality sleeping bag rated to 0F, it is really hard to say if you will be able to pull it off with a TQ and UQ rated at 0F.

But, not trying to discourage you, because many a person has slept warm at or even below the ratings. In fact, I myself have done it, although I had a real hard time at first making a sleeping bag get anywhere near it's rating when using it as a TQ. Drafts got me every time. But I do much better now, whether with a bag or actual TQ.

So, if you are an average to warm sleeper, I think you can indeed go to zero with a zero rated UQ + TQ. But, you better not have even a small draft, or you can forget it. And Oh yes, don't forget head warmth. A lot of the rating of a sleeping bag is obtained by a draft free closure, with neck collars and a nice thick hood that can close down to a small breathing hole. If you try to do the same temps with a similarly rated TQ but without equivalent head/neck warmth, you won't do so well.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2012 at 00:18.

• + New Posts