Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images

winter camping

Is it possible to stay warm in winter without an underquilt? I have the Blackbird 1.1 double layer that I plan to use with a full Ridgerest pad, SOL heat sheet, and a 20-degree down bag. The temps at night could probably drop into the 'teens.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Pads can be as warm as an UQ just not as comfy. Trick to pads is making sure they are several inches wider than your shoulders so that they wrap up around you.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    i just did an overnight in the mid 20's and needed a 0d Incubator and a Big Agnes insulated air core pad to stay warm... but i am always cold :0)
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Pads can be as warm as an UQ just not as comfy. Trick to pads is making sure they are several inches wider than your shoulders so that they wrap up around you.
    Anyone tried this?
    http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Toward the end of the summer season I made a sleeve for my 72" Thermarest out of an old camo fleece blanket. After the initial sewing the sleeve was about 8" wider than the pad and I sewed off a 4" channel on each side. I then cut two 4" strips out of a 72" closed cell foam pad and slipped one into each channel. With that in my hammock the closed cell pieces wrap up alongside my shoulders when I lay down. I slept out in this in October (nighttime temp was probably down around 40) with a summer weight bag. About halfway through the night I started breaking a sweat. I think it was a combination of the closed cell inserts and the fleece. The fleece actually felt like it was generating heat with the compression of my body weight on it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWild View Post
    I have one which I used with my Ridgerest, which is 20" closed cell foam pad made by Thermarest.

The problem I had with it was that the shoulder flaps were not as insulated as I had hoped. As a result, my shoulders were cold. But between the shoulder flaps and my 20 degree bag which I used as a quilt by tucking it under my shoulders, I was able to stay reasonably warm on a 42 degree night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Well, after reading all the comments so far, and doing some further research, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get an underquilt. No sense in having my frugality turn into a frosty behind.
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Yes! Depending on the hammok it can be just as comfortable as an UQ too. Some hammocks judt dont work as well with pads. Many know that I switch to pads exclusively as the temp drops. This is due to weight and warmth for the extreme cold (subzero F).

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha View Post
    Toward the end of the summer season I made a sleeve for my 72" Thermarest out of an old camo fleece blanket. After the initial sewing the sleeve was about 8" wider than the pad and I sewed off a 4" channel on each side. I then cut two 4" strips out of a 72" closed cell foam pad and slipped one into each channel. With that in my hammock the closed cell pieces wrap up alongside my shoulders when I lay down. I slept out in this in October (nighttime temp was probably down around 40) with a summer weight bag. About halfway through the night I started breaking a sweat. I think it was a combination of the closed cell inserts and the fleece. The fleece actually felt like it was generating heat with the compression of my body weight on it.
    It was actually the ccf insulating you too well. 40* is way to warm to be using ccf. save it for some real cold.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-grrl View Post
    I have one which I used with my Ridgerest, which is 20" closed cell foam pad made by Thermarest.

The problem I had with it was that the shoulder flaps were not as insulated as I had hoped. As a result, my shoulders were cold. But between the shoulder flaps and my 20 degree bag which I used as a quilt by tucking it under my shoulders, I was able to stay reasonably warm on a 42 degree night.
    Did you put ccf into the wings? What thickness?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast