Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    There are tons of places around Nashville to hang, rivers, lakes, and the like but safety is the only reason I don't hang alone in these places. I carry, but just because you have a gun, it doesn't mean you're safe!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    sort of related to this subject--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration I saw a documentary a few years back, where people (mostly collage age) go sneaking around old buildings in the inner city at night , exploring etc. Pretty cool, pretty dangerous, pretty sure Im not going to do it, but it was a really neat documentary. (they were crawiling around sewer tunnels, condemned buildings, etc , trying not to get hurt, caught by the cops, get caught by drug dealers or homeless people etc.) The pictures they took were pretty amazing! I love doing that kind of thing out in the woods--old homesteads etc, but am not comfortable doing it in the middle of the city!
    Last edited by stevebo; 11-21-2013 at 10:12.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    There are 2 local parks that I frequent. One has all the trees right out in the open, but one has them kind of secluded. It is right next to homes, a street, and a well-used sidewalk, but people rarely, if ever, notice me.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Re: Stealth Urban Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Noise is an issue. I have a secret gear test area, The Stick Fort, which I use frequently. Problem is there is a hospital about .5 mi away as the crow flies, and, of course, that is on a main road. There are several other main roads within 1 mile radius. The hospital has a helipad between The Stick Fort and the hospital building, so when the MedEvac comes, it is seriously loud. AND, a pack of coyotes live in the land between the road and my secret base. Whenever an ambulance siren comes in or out, those coyotes start to howling and yapping...
    That actually sounds like a lot of fun! Granted it also sounds like my apartment right now, minus the coyotes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird (1.0/1.0)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ & UGQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I live close to the Rideau river in Ottawa, I'll take a look around sometime to see if I can find any spots I could possibly hang.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Any that works
    Just sharing a story.

There can be more disturbing things to worry about when stealth hanging in an inner city location than meth-heads, gangs, and homeless psychopaths.

I set up my wool Brazilian in a sweet location at a beautiful park in Boise ID. Feeling safe and secure I fell sound asleep. Around 2am I was startled awake by the parks sprinkler system. This was no ordinary residential water sprinkler but a fire suppression deluge. The mass flow rate may have equaled the Colorado River. If I had set up my WBBB I could have drowned.

Thoroughly soaked, I moved to another location and settled down to a hard fought sleep, only to be awakened again about 4:30am by a different sprinkler zone. You gotta be kidding me!!!

Thank God for all night diners.

MC

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9x9
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    just watched the Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6TsEqWy_CE

pretty eye opening...I think my urban hanging explorations will be a bit less adventurous

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 (multicam)
    Tarp
    Warbonent Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Stealth Urban Camping

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyDaddy View Post
    I live close to the Rideau river in Ottawa, I'll take a look around sometime to see if I can find any spots I could possibly hang.
    I know a couple of places out in Manotick that you could check out. PM me if you want them.

So I've been thinking about this idea. I think it's not for me, while yes I agree there are tons of beautiful and under appreciated areas hidden within urban environments. I think some of these same areas also attract people at night. I would be too paranoid to sleep! Plus I wouldn't want to have worry about being quiet during the day and stuff. Now if you're in a situation where you need to do it, I think it is a great option, especially in a hammock.
    I think I once saw a picture on HF of someone hanging under a billboard, I think they just needed a place to sleep for the night and they weren't actually camping.

edit:
    I just read the sprinkler story from couple of posts up.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSosa View Post
    just watched the Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6TsEqWy_CE

pretty eye opening...I think my urban hanging explorations will be a bit less adventurous
    Thats the movie we saw! Very cool!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast