Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark

Early spring overnighter in Greenbelt

My son and I just came back from an early spring overnighter in the Ottawa On Greenbelt just several miles from my house. The temp was -8 C overnight. It felt like July wrapped up in my JRB Mt. Washington 4 quilt set. The only sound of civilization was the odd vehicle in the distance but that was soon drowned out by the coyote serenade.

It's always nice to be able to test winter gear close to home in case you have to bail in the middle of the night. Another reason to camp in the city.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

A fine idea.

You know, I am totally into this. And I live only a few miles from the edge of a National Park, where camping is forbidden (west section of Saguaro National Park). Unfortunately there is a dearth of suitable trees or other anchors. I leave to your imagination the concept of hanging a hammock from Saguaro Cactus. That idea could go in all directions, including the citation you would doubtlessly get if you got caught doing so. No, I don't think I will go there, but the potential photo op is tempting above all else ....

but as others have said, it is amazing how alone you can be just a short distance off of a well travelled trail. I have always made a point of "stealth camping" off to the sides of trails.
    If you know how to read a topo map it is easy to plan ahead and predict camp areas where you will be totally isolated, often with a great view, even in heavily travelled areas.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There's all kinds of great urban hangs here in CO Springs. You do have to be careful though...if the fuzz catches you, you are very likely to get ticketed.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A few thoughts:

1.Safety---maybe not a problem on Crown land, but definitely an issue for people hanging in urban parks. Many people are murdered, robbed, raped, etc. in city parks. Be careful, it's a jungle out there.

2. Theft---I wouldn't leave my gear for even a minute. Several people here have had gear stolen. Much bigger problem the closer you are to other people.

3. Johnny Law---Most parks have strict laws against camping. If you get caught, I wouldn't necessarily count on the ranger giving you a break. I work with many of these types, and some of them can be the worst when it comes to being reasonable. Fines can be ridiculously high. You could buy a very nice quilt with the amount of one fine.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    remember this word of advice on "gray (grey?) area" camping...

"sorry sir, i was just testing out some new gear and its so darn comfy i fell asleep..."

cant tell you how many times thats saved my butt, and it also helps if your other gear is stowed neatly so it doesnt look like youre homeless and camping to get by.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Stealth hanging is awesome

we do it all the time and no ones ever knows were there.. its a park and used alot as a off leash park and even the dog's don't see us. just yesterday we were there hanging for a few hours and a off leash dog wandered in the woods, had a poo and my daughter yelled at the owner for not picking it up.

there is a huge clearing that is used for dogs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9457800...8046/lightbox/
    Last edited by Taliesin96; 04-01-2013 at 07:53. Reason: added image

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRox View Post
    This is great a buddy and I were just discussing this the other day. We have some great areas here in northern Ohio that are great to camp in but not allowed. In the summer some stealth camping would be great to do.
    I see you're from the falls! Man the cuyahoga valley is PERFECT for this kind of thing. I was just there this past weekend for an overnighter. Also the local metro parks and even waterworks park have great hidden spots!
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Hammock
    HH
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Woolman View Post
    My son and I just came back from an early spring overnighter in the Ottawa On Greenbelt just several miles from my house. The temp was -8 C overnight. It felt like July wrapped up in my JRB Mt. Washington 4 quilt set. The only sound of civilization was the odd vehicle in the distance but that was soon drowned out by the coyote serenade.

It's always nice to be able to test winter gear close to home in case you have to bail in the middle of the night. Another reason to camp in the city.
    Cool beans Woolman, the Greenbelt sure has a ton of places to hang a hammock eh. Glad to hear your boy is dig'n this hang'n stuff now too. Can't wait to get fully mended back up again, to hook up with you guys again on another hang.

Hang loose.

lb
    LarryBourgeois - Outdoorsy Guy

http://larrybourgeois.blogspot.ca/

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    What do you do with your car if you drive?
    I've thought about this and if I needed to stealth camp with my car nearby, I would think to find a park with an automobile service station nearby. That way my car would be parked as if for an appointment the next day, so not to arouse suspicion by the police/neighbors. Just check to see when the garage opens so you know by what time to get your car.

There is a forest preserve near where I live and when I first got a hammock, I tried to setup during normal park hours when a county park ranger stopped and asked me if I'd seen anyone and some kids. I guess they had reports of a family camping in that particular preserve. I wonder if he thought I was part of that family.

Hammock
    HH
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images

Cool Urban Hang'n Pics...

Not sure if the pics will show? If they don't....HELP.

Hey there Woolman, here's a pair of pics of one of my latest solo Urban hangs right up on the Ottawa River Western Parkway. I thought it was kinda cool that I could ride my bike right up to it too. No sign of the hang'n police, so far.

Although I didn't stay the night, I did indeed, enjoy a whole day of just hang'n around in a beautiful spot, lounge'n, snack'n and exercise'n my weakened left leg, on that nicely uneven terrain...

There are so many places like this, close by, that I will be hang'n in this year for sure. Hope to have you and your boy Jay, share some of them with me soon.

Anyone else out there got a picture or two of your set up in an urban and or stealth place? Don't be shy. We digs pics!
    Last edited by larrybourgeois; 05-23-2013 at 09:12. Reason: bloopers. :)
    LarryBourgeois - Outdoorsy Guy

http://larrybourgeois.blogspot.ca/

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast