Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Back to Brown Hollow tonight, 15 deggrees

Pictures when I return:
    Some friends and I are heading for Brown Hollow tonight again to test our winter hammocks. They are saying 15 degrees with 15 MPH winds. We were going Browning Hill, but the wind predictions changed our minds.
    I am sleeping a my JRB Bear Mountain Bridge modified to 36 inches wide and with a DIY top weather shield. I am using a JRB Old Rag Mtn underquilt with a JRB Weather Shield, (I have not perfected a DIY weather shield for a Bridge as yet).
    I am using a JRB No Sniveler and a Shanandoah that are tied together to make them as one overquilt for the top.
    I will be under a 'Brians' Mac Cat costom, 13 foot ridgeline and 7 foot sides for a tarp. I have put in spreader bars much like Grizzly Adams did his so I can pull down the sides tight to the ground.
    Wish you all were there. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sounds fun!

Why are you using the 'sandwich' quilt as a top quilt? Seems to me that it'd be easier to deal with only one quilt in the hammock, plus that space between the quilts may help boost the insulating factor if hung below as a UQ.

It's really early here and I might be way off; just wondering.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    dang it Mule, if I didn't have a commitment tomorrow morning I'd skip out on work early today to drive over and join you.

have fun

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Pictures when I return:
    Some friends and I are heading for Brown Hollow tonight again to test our winter hammocks. They are saying 15 degrees with 15 MPH winds. We were going Browning Hill, but the wind predictions changed our minds.
    I am sleeping a my JRB Bear Mountain Bridge modified to 36 inches wide and with a DIY top weather shield. I am using a JRB Old Rag Mtn underquilt with a JRB Weather Shield, (I have not perfected a DIY weather shield for a Bridge as yet).
    I am using a JRB No Sniveler and a Shanandoah that are tied together to make them as one overquilt for the top.
    I will be under a 'Brians' Mac Cat costom, 13 foot ridgeline and 7 foot sides for a tarp. I have put in spreader bars much like Grizzly Adams did his so I can pull down the sides tight to the ground.
    Wish you all were there. Mule
    Wish I could join too...
    We will get out soon (next few weeks)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    My underquilt is about as thick as both the ones I am using for an over quilt, and the way an underquilt hangs from a bridge is iffy at best, so...... that's my reasoning. I have the two top quilts tied together and the footbox is put together so you wouldn't have very much more trouble with them than a single quilt.
    I am waiting on a call from the others. Going to have to go solo if they don't call soon. Mule

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Grizz, That would have been great. Sorry I didn't have more notice to give you. If you can get out of working tomorrow and want to meet me, I will wait. PM sent with cell phone number. Mule

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    My underquilt is about as thick as both the ones I am using for an over quilt, and the way an underquilt hangs from a bridge is iffy at best, so...... that's my reasoning. I have the two top quilts tied together and the footbox is put together so you wouldn't have very much more trouble with them than a single quilt.
    I am waiting on a call from the others. Going to have to go solo if they don't call soon. Mule
    Thanks for explaining it to me. I don't have very much experience with the Bridge style hammock, but that makes sense to me with what little experience I do have.

Good luck and have fun!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Cannibal, Actually you have me re-thinking the situation though. The only problem with using two UQs on a bridge is that the BMB is just long enough to hold an UQ tight, IMO. To put two there may be OK, but each would need to have it's own suspension. Thanks for the question. Mule.

We are leaving now. I finally got a call and won't have to (get to) go alone.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Pictures of the trip

Here are a few of the photos from the trip. Gear-wise, I discovered, at least for me an irritating flaw in the match between the BMB and the JRB Quilts. The small rings used on the bridge pinched the support systems of the underquilt and weather sheild. I will be making some mods soon and posting them in another thread. They actually did work fine and kept me toasty, but I think I may have an idea that will make the quilt and cover glide smoothly through the rings. That's coming later.
    One of the photos shows a stove that blew up on me when I picked it up. Some fool named Mule put it close to the fire to warm up the canister of gas. What an idiot, but it did make for some great laughs.
    Mule
    Correction, Pan reminded me that I completely forgot to use the loops a few inches below the rings. That would have made everything just fine, keeping the biners well away from the rings. I get these lapses in memory sometimes and I forget, uh, well, whatever, what was I saying???????
    Mule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mule; 12-06-2008 at 21:21.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

What happened to the fuel canister (not to mention your finger)?

I have to get out for some cold weather testing myself as I have a Colorado trip planned for early September in 09'. I've been down to 27˚, but still haven't been out in high winds or heavy precipitation yet.

People sure look at me funny when I say I'm looking for a cold, windy rainy night to go camping.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast