WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    We might have a few too many people for the Grave Island site to hold so I'm going to take a look tomorrow at a different site nearby that I think should work. If it does then I'll drop in some maps/gps tracks for everyone to see. If it won't work then we'll probably punt and camp near the lake.

More tomorrow...

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Is the creekside site still too wet?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Is the creekside site still too wet?
    It probably doesn't have standing water but is probably a bit muddy (not sure but since it is mostly cutthroat grass I would guess it is probably still muddy). The site that I'm talking about is about 1/3 mile south of the Grave Island site and is right along a different creek. I'll take a peek tomorrow and maybe post a few pics.

Dave
    Last edited by samsara; 11-24-2012 at 22:05.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

Plan B!

Alright... since it looks like we might have too many people to fit the Grave Island camp site I am going with plan B. It is near Grave island but has more trees for hanging and for the adventurous there is one tree that you could hang from one branch Isabell creek runs right next to the site, there is a small picnic table and a campfire ring. We'll have everything that we need but we might have to hunt for some firewood. It is a beautiful site that actually looks similar to the one where we have the Sherpa hang but is even prettier but a bit smaller. I like it a lot.

I have a new map and have uploaded some new gps tracks in kmz files to the FL Hangers web page. There is a file for Scooby's Trail (the bright green trail) which could be part of the Saturday hike if people want a longer hike, a file for Lake Godwin road (bright blue) that we will drive down to park near the lake, and the actual hiking trail we will take Friday evening to get to Isabell Creek camp site (in red). The hike Friday evening will be 2 miles and you will need to bring your headlamps.

We will still meet at the same time (5:15 p.m. on Friday) but we will drive to Lake Godwin, park there, and hike in from there. The Saturday hike might be an afternoon affair instead of a morning hike (unless if Shannan is willing to lead the hike) since I will need to hike out on Saturday evening, attend the Frostproof Christmas parade (anyone that wants to come along is welcome), and then will have to hike back in Saturday night. So I will get plenty of hiking in with that and won't want an extra hike in the morning.

Here is the map:

If you've got questions let me know...

Dave

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Thinking about going in a little early, maybe noonish, and get some firewood gathered up before dark.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I misunderstood old dog!! I thought he was going to miss me.

Turns out, he, like me, is going to miss the guys who can't make it.

C YA there old dog, old buddy
    grinder

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mack Cat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ok, our plans are figured out now. I will not be able to come in Friday night. I will come in mid-morning instead. Both girls are coming and they have some comitments Friday after work first. But all in all should turn out good. Hope to see everyone there.... And we still only have 2 hangers and 1 Tenter!!! So we won't take up an an extra hanging site...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I misunderstood old dog!! I thought he was going to miss me.

Turns out, he, like me, is going to miss the guys who can't make it.

C YA there old dog, old buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannan View Post
    Ok, our plans are figured out now. I will not be able to come in Friday night. I will come in mid-morning instead. Both girls are coming and they have some comitments Friday after work first. But all in all should turn out good. Hope to see everyone there.... And we still only have 2 hangers and 1 Tenter!!! So we won't take up an an extra hanging site...
    Yeap, see you there Grinder.

Shannan, maybe we can work on the Princess this weekend and get her off the ground.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Thinking about going in a little early, maybe noonish, and get some firewood gathered up before dark.
    It's pretty easy to get there. Lake Godwin road is the first road after you pass my house (it's about a half mile or so down the road) and there is a small concrete bridge just past the turn off to the road. Follow that down to the lake, that's where you park or unload. Start your hike continuing along the road but follow it to the right (west). You will stay on that road for about a mile. You'll know you're on the right path when you start going over some water bars (piled up dirt in the road). You will go past a larger sandy road that goes north/south but you continue to the west. You'll be on the FL trail from there. You'll go a ways along the trail heading west or northwest until you see a handwritten sign for Isabell Creek camp site to the left. Follow that down to the camp and you're there. I collected enough firewood for the first night (I think) but we'll need plenty more

Dave

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mack Cat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will bring my hand saw for anything laying around too big to carry and 2 little wood gatherers.......

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast