DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Since your main goal is to cut weight for backpacking, get a new, lightweight but warm top quilt made with high quality down. Continue to use the pads under you as they have served you well and certainly don't weigh much.

Somewhere down the road, you can swap the pad for an underquilt whenever you are ready. But that won't save you any weight; actually, that will add weight.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash & HR
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I tried my down sleeping bag that was rated to 30 degrees the first time I slept in my hammock. I got the cold but and legs that night. I then bought one of the windshield refelctors and laid that under my bag. I again was cold. Then used my exped mattress under the bag and was warmer but not as much as I had hoped. Then weeks after agonizing over spending the money for an UQ I purchased one from JRB during their Veterans Day sale. I tried it out one afternoon last week and it is the first time I did not feel any cold. I am happy that I finally made the purchase.

I'm new to this as well, but I would agree that it would make more sense to get a top quilt rather than a sleeping bag if your goal is to cut weight. The sleeping bag just has extra size that you don't need. Especially if you are comfy with your current setup (bag + pad).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg
    Ok so my count is

4 vote for UQ
    3 vote for TQ

Haha!

Is there a better deal for a TQ around 20 deg than the JRB Hudson River Quilt at $239?

Or maybe do a good UQ and get a Oversized Eddie Bauer Throw at $59
    Last edited by ripcurlksm; 11-19-2012 at 19:26.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    For the longest I used a wide Thermo-Rest and a heavy space tarp under the pad (and kind of taco my shoulders with it, and a 20 degree sleeping bag zipped to my lower back, I've slept with that set up multiple times in 30 degree temps and was very warm and happy. UQs are nice but if your like me you like things to be multi-use. I made my UQ out of an "oldish" sleeping bag and a down bed quilt-- that's the only reason I don't use my pad anymore.
    Last edited by GIHanger; 11-20-2012 at 23:45.
    Nothing I do is done by popular demand.
    Steve Martin

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I use an Alps Mountaineering Clearwater +20 SB (about $60) and a Walmart blue pad ($6) down to mid thirties using the bag as a Top Quilt. Packs reasonably small also. If you are happy with pads, stick with them. Most cost effective system there is. The pad extender suggested by Shug is really good, and can be made quite easily if someone in your family has a sewing machine. A down 20 deg bag will cost well north of $100, but will pack even smaller. A bag is more versatile, as you can use it easily on the ground (with your pad(s)) if needed. Need a little more insulation? Add another blue pad, or half onf one under your torso and IMO you will be good to below 30 deg. Also gives you a sit pad for around camp and a PFD for flash floods No quilt has anywhere near the versatility, and costs a fortune. I can't afford one anyway, but even if I could, I don't think i would change and lose the versatility.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    It sounds like your main goal is to get rid of the bulk of your sleeping bag. The way I see it you have two options. 1) You can replace it with a down bag that packs down nice. 2) Replace with a down TQ. Personally I find a TQ to be less of a hassle.

Either way you go you might want to make some changes to your bottom insulation. If you stick with the pad wings will be nice as mentioned before. A cheep way to try out a UQ is to go the poncho liner route. I like mine and with adding a sheet of insulbrite you can take it to the low 30's, at least I can. I'm not positive how it compares to a pad for weight and bulk, but you can put one together for probably $20-30. You can always use it for the warmer temps if you get a nice 20* UQ. UQ take some messing around with to get them dialed in but when they are it's really nice to have something nice and warm hugging your back.

So, the short answer. Down TQ and then a cheep UQ to see if you like the pad or UQ better.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used a ccf pad for over a year with a 4 lb. synthetic 0 degree sleeping bag. I had no complaints down to as low as 22 degrees. I couldn't stomach the cost of a down TQ/UQ.

Then last year I got a decent bonus check and got an HG 20* TQ & UQ. The Black Friday deals were too much to resist. I honestly don't know if I could ever go back to pads and sleeping bags. The reduction in bulk alone was worth the money, although I'm definitely warmer and don't have to worry about condensation.

I'd vote for the UQ if that's all you can afford - kissing that pad goodbye will be liberating.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg
    ok ive made my decision to go with a top quilt first as it will kill the bulk. i will go the ccf route and add the woobie. been looking for a good excuse to get one or two anyway.

thank you

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    But that won't save you any weight; actually, that will add weight.

this may not be true. let me put it in different terms:

with a pad, there is a definite cut off point on both comfort and warmth. while this isnt dealing with comfort, ill address the warmth issue.

with the pad, lets say it gets you to 30* as you say. but then what? and what are you wearing to bed to stay warm? with a good quilt set, you may not have to augment the layers to stay warm. what good would it be to carry a really light pad section but then need a blanket and other things under you to stay warm? sure, the PAD is light, but everything combined is heavy and bulky.

so lets look at it a different way:

if you got a UQ first, it should give you more options as far as quilts are concerned. get the right one, and it can be used as either a TQ or UQ.

a UQ will keep your butt, and back, from being cold. this will help prevent aches in the morning.

lets say all you had was UQ as far as quilts are concerned. you can stay warm up top by a HUG type sock, a full hammock sock, even an emergency blanket or your own jacket and clothes you wore with you. heck, even cut up your sleeping bag to make a TQ and itll still be smaller overall.

and in my hammock, with the UQ i have, it comes up the sides a bit so maybe the top of you (or front...whatever) is maybe the 1/3 uncovered.

just some thoughts on the matter, and the reason back when i got my first quilt it was a UQ. and as far as bulk goes, BOTH of my quilts fit into the sleeping bag pocket in the pack i have, with a little (very little) room for the down or synthetic pillow i take with.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast