Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Singlenest
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It may just be me but $100 for a tarp, hammock, and good suspension seems like a pretty good price. Besides that I like the feeling that comes with knowing that I made it

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbyrd View Post
    Just going from the materials list from the DIY projects.

3.5 yd rs nylon $14
    2 yd draw cord .50
    12' tech line 2
    6' amsteel 1/64 1.50
    thread 3.65
    Hammock total 21.65

7 yd silnylon 43.75
    1 yd oxford nylon 4
    4' 3/4 nylon webbing 1
    6 d-rings .60
    Tarp total 49.35

EDIT I forgot the straps
    30' 1: poly web $12
    4 Al rings 11
    If you're wanting to go as cheaply as possible you could eliminate the Al rings in the suspension and just use a toggle (sticks work fine). Also you could use 2nds silnylon (7 yards would cost around $38) or if weight isn't a concern the coated ripstop 2nds (7 yards roughly = $20). This would bring your total to around $60 although I would round that up to an even $100 by the time you pay for shipping and all the other extra expenses you'll likely run into (thread, ridge line cord, etc.).

So for a complete set up $100 isn't too terribly bad but it certainly isn't cheap. The only time you will ever come ahead financially in the DIY game is if you happen to have access to cheap materials or are able to re-use other items you already have laying around the house. If you're having to buy all of the raw materials there will be a minimal gain compared to buying from the talented cottage vendors that are out there.

The way I look at DIY projects is that its a hobby. It can be an expensive hobby but it does allow me to make things that I can use for my other hobbies (camping, motorcycling, travelling, etc.). So for me being able to make my own gear has probably saved me money in the long haul since my time would have been spent pursuing some of my other hobbies which also cost $ and would leave me having to purchase all my hammock gear. If you're not going to enjoy making your own gear then the best bet it to just buy it already made.

As always HYOY.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    To get started as cheaply as possible, go Used.

1.Most DIYers make multiple items.
    2. "Normal people" normally buy more than one or each item while "getting it just right".

You also, unless you are an experienced crafter, will have to make more than one hammock to be satisfied.

Buy your first item used. Expect to pay about half for a lightly used example.
    I don't feel you can make stuff competitively versus half of list price.

Then, with real life experience, you will be better prepared to create your dream project.
    grinder

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    To me the DIY is about pride.
    Yep I made that!
    Just the other day I showed one of the guys at the Fire dept my bud light beer bottle stove
    Tonight he had this big ol grin on his face because he made one also.

My stove is not pretty by no means
    But I am happy with it.
    Well said. That's how I feel about my diy tarp. It ain't pretty, but it works, & I made it. I'll let you know how I feel about the insultex uq after I test it for fit and warmth. Scott's design is straight forward and doesn't cost much at all.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchrob23 View Post
    It may just be me but $100 for a tarp, hammock, and good suspension seems like a pretty good price. Besides that I like the feeling that comes with knowing that I made it
    Yeah, I don't think that you could buy something already made for very close to $100. Add on another $40 and you can make an insultex underquilt.

I also completely agree with mitchrob about the pride factor. That's pretty big for me.

Many people say that you have to consider the value of your time while doing DIY projects, but I say, if you're enjoying doing it isn't it just another hobby? Do people that like to golf, or fish have to put a monetary value on the time they spend doing those things?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO DIY is not worth the cost savings when all is said and done. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid DIY person. But if you are doing it for sole purpose of saving money, it is not worth to me. There are lots of reasons to DIY but sheer cost savings is not one.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO DIY is not worth the cost savings when all is said and done. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid DIY person. But if you are doing it for sole purpose of saving money, it is not worth to me. There are lots of reasons to DIY but sheer cost savings is not one.
    Very well put! Its not about saving money, its about you making custom designed gear for your own use, with your own hands. On the other hand, if you compared DIY to paying someone to custom sew gear for you, its a pretty good deal! For me, its all about the creative process--------its very enjoyable and satisfying to come up with new designs (as long as they work, and as long as I dont need them for a trip the next day!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    DIY isn't just about saving money. If you don't count your time and plan your project well, you can spend siginificantly less than buying new. But for me, most DIY (along with saving some money) is about having something that I can't buy exactly the way I want it to be.

You prices look about right. Try it and see how it goes. You may become an avid DIYer, or decide you'd rather support cottage vendors. You'll never know until you try.

To avoid frustration, you may want to try simple projects first. Most people suggest stuff sacks, but a gathered end hammock is pretty simple too. Tarps are a step up in difficulty due to the size of fabric, and making the cat cuts if you go that route. IX quilts are easy using the plans at DIY Gear Supply. Down quilts are more challenging with the multiple parts, and working with the down. Build your skill before you tackle big projects.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pretty pleased with all the DIY I have done. There is a feeling of satisfaction that comes from it.
    Now though...I am done with it. So many terrific vendors to buy from.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I enjoy showing off my homemade gear and having someone ask, "You made that?" It's pretty cool. I don't know how much I actually saved if any, but the pride the others have mentioned is worth it. No one has a hammock like mine!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast