Hammock
    Dirty Bridge / Weasel / Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    Alot
    Insulation
    HG Gear / DIY
    Suspension
    A lot of them
    I started diy after I realized I couldn't find gear that did exactly what I wanted. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper and sometimes it not. But with some practice and creativity, you can make anything you can dream up or want to copy.
    Geektar
    Fulltimers Group

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO DIY is not worth the cost savings when all is said and done. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid DIY person. But if you are doing it for sole purpose of saving money, it is not worth to me. There are lots of reasons to DIY but sheer cost savings is not one.

I disagree. I like to DIY just about everything just because I like things custom. However, I am DIYing 2 UQs and 2 TQs purely because of cost(im not a big fan of sewing). The cost to buy 4 TQ and UQs is ridiculous. I just cant afford the Down products when you have to multiply everything by 2. I can make all 4 quilts for the cost of 1 and a half quilts bought online. When quilts are hitting the $250 and up range, it starts to carry significant weight for choosing to DIY over store bought. I guess the opinions will vary when coming from people who can afford to spend the money vs people who cant, like me.
    DIYing to save money is a great reason because it allows people who otherwise wouldnt be able to afford to enjoy the outdoors in the same or similar fashion of those with nice gear, a chance to do so. IMO

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I just ordered a table cloth for $12 and a marlin spike whoopie kit from arrowhead equipment for $17... That plus a little cordage to tie the ends and maybe an adjustable ridgeline for $13... And you are good to go... And that's for a 10'+ hammock...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    DIY hopefully should provide something that buying gear doesn't. PRIDE. Just like a good hard days work you can look back and admire your work. DIY'ing even if it costs the same or more as buying ready made gear it is yours and it will be customized for you, by you. You will know the ins and outs of that gear and that is great knowledge to have, and if it fails for what ever reason you will then know how to repair it, saving money in the long run.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    OK lots of reasons for DIY...

Joy of innovation, researching, tinkering, and building it just the way I want it. There is that pride of I made that.

The cost of building a fleet for the family this Christmas is a major factor when having to buy many sets to keep every body happy. DIY means they get it there way too. The cost savings plays out multiple ways. The whole set up would have cost me thousands, complete off the shelf, but that's not really the point I suppose. When I factor in that the lead female elf in my Santa's DIY workshop would insist I spend one on one time with her out on the town; easily a prospect of $50-200 for a few short hours. At 30-50 DIY hours that gets crazy expensive when you add it all up. Factor in the cost savings for the one on one time, cost of materials, bonus....... we'll just say DIY is well worth it.

I do have to admit my hammocks will not be thread injected unfortunately. Since Mrs. lead elf insists my thread injector is broken we determined it best for her to sew them. But I got to make all the whoopie slings.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've gotta say I prefer the DIY route. I recently got into this whole hammock thing and half of what I like doing it the DIY creations and seeing them work. The thread injector (AKA witches machine) was tough for me to learn, but after you get the hang of it, the knowledge is invaluable since June of this year I have DIY'ed a hammock, whoopie slings, hex tarp, and under quilt. I've saved a ton of money and really enjoyed it.

My hammock cost under 30
    Whoopie slings were maybe 10 bucks
    the hex tarp was a bit more but still only around 40

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs62284 View Post
    I've gotta say I prefer the DIY route. I recently got into this whole hammock thing and half of what I like doing it the DIY creations and seeing them work. The thread injector (AKA witches machine) was tough for me to learn, but after you get the hang of it, the knowledge is invaluable since June of this year I have DIY'ed a hammock, whoopie slings, hex tarp, and under quilt. I've saved a ton of money and really enjoyed it.

My hammock cost under 30
    Whoopie slings were maybe 10 bucks
    the hex tarp was a bit more but still only around 40

The tarps is the only place that I cant seem to save money on. Silnylon is just so expensive and by time you buy all the other needed components for the tarp, you just about equaled the cost of buying one new. I tried pricing it 3 different ways using different suppliers and I only really save about $10. Shipping is the main cost eater for Silnylon tarp components. As for all the other types of gear for hammocking; I have found DIY is a huge cost saver, especially when it comes to building 2 of everything.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    The tarps is the only place that I cant seem to save money on. Silnylon is just so expensive and by time you buy all the other needed components for the tarp, you just about equaled the cost of buying one new. I tried pricing it 3 different ways using different suppliers and I only really save about $10. Shipping is the main cost eater for Silnylon tarp components. As for all the other types of gear for hammocking; I have found DIY is a huge cost saver, especially when it comes to building 2 of everything.
    You can get Silnylon 2nds from Scott at Backwoods Day Dreamer for $5.50/yd. I made a hex tarp out of 7 yds of the stuff and it is great. Don't know why they call it seconds, I've had it out in a real frog drowner of a storm and it held up great. No misting/leaking/anything but dry underneath.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

I just recently made my second hammock and took maybe 2 and a half hours at most ( cutting fabric with a hot knife and sewing ) . This latest one was a double layer ( 1.5 lbs ) and actually weighs less than the my first one which was single layer ( 2.7 lbs ) ( the weight includes suspension on both ) . I have gotten real lucky at the Wally World Dollar Bin and between both I have spent maybe $35 to include the 1000 meter spool of Gutermann 100% poly thread I picked up at JoAnn's. The first one I gave away to my Cousin who is stationed at Ft Benning, Ga and was home on leave for Thanksgiving. He was really surprised when I gave it to him and he was amazed I could use a thread injector and said I had mad skills. I took pride in knowing he really appreciated something I made and was not off the shelf store bought. I will keep on DIY'ing as long as I can make things the way I want them at a price my wife doesn't get mad about me spending money for materials on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345