Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Redheads abound

My hair is like...hmm..well...OPIE red I guess. The wife's is not AS red but yes... of the 4 kids, 3 of them are afflicted with my pigmentation! Our number 3 (Ben) is somewhat of a little mystery with his blond hair. Nevertheless, people look a little longer at us when we walk though malls and other public places. What is funny is when I was a kid I told myself I would never marry a redheaded girl because I didnt want to have redheaded kids that would get teased in school like I did! wow!

Regarding Video and pictures....of COURSE I will take both! And, I plan to be using my Shug inspired, newly acquired, Stickpic!

Adam

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Youngblood

My wife just informed me what I missed. I actually fell asleep during my last reply and when I woke up I just hit the "submit reply" button with out checking to see that someone else had replied to this thread....wow, how sad is that! LOL

I just want to say THANK YOU so much for your personal attention to my upcoming trip! It seems like I will be able use a lot of that information. You made many good points.

I am a little nervous about going alone but I will be cautious and careful, keeping risks down to a minimum. I will hope for good weather but expect the worse. I will keep the phone on my person and in good working order in case I need it (and have a signal). I am also contemplating renting one of those SPOT devices...the wife would REALLY love that. Heck, I could give you all access the the SPOT page and you could all track my progress! Kind of neat!

Thanks again for your concern

Adam

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm envious. Winter camping/hiking is great fun and gives you a profound sense of accomplishment. I second Youngblood's advice; know where you are and how to GTHO (get the hell out), otherwise just enjoy the peace.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    My wife just informed me what I missed. I actually fell asleep during my last reply and when I woke up I just hit the "submit reply" button with out checking to see that someone else had replied to this thread....wow, how sad is that! LOL

I just want to say THANK YOU so much for your personal attention to my upcoming trip! It seems like I will be able use a lot of that information. You made many good points.

I am a little nervous about going alone but I will be cautious and careful, keeping risks down to a minimum. I will hope for good weather but expect the worse. I will keep the phone on my person and in good working order in case I need it (and have a signal). I am also contemplating renting one of those SPOT devices...the wife would REALLY love that. Heck, I could give you all access the the SPOT page and you could all track my progress! Kind of neat!

Thanks again for your concern

Adam
    You are welcome Adam. Obviously north Georgia with its 4k-ish peaks aren't as subject to winter extremes as say the 5k-ish peaks of the next 80 or so miles to the Smokies or the 6k-ish peaks of the Smokies, but it can still have the same issues. Sometimes people forget that.

Snow and ice storms present problems that you may not see coming. I've been around Springer a week or so after ice storms where the ice had recently dropped from the trees. In spots I was walking on 6 inch deep chunks of ice that had fell from the limbs. They were like something you see in an ice cooler at a motel. That, along with all the bent over limbs and small trees can add time and effort to a hike. Fortunately, it was just spot conditions and didn't continue all day so it wasn't much of a problem.

A few inches of snow can be great to hike on as it provides a special quiet, you can hear your foot steps, and see the tracks from the critters that have been about. But it can also cover the worn footpath of the AT making it more difficult to stay on the trail and spot the white blazes that mark the path. That can also add time and effort to a hike.

Be careful, hope the weather cooperates, and have a great time.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm totally envious, man. I found out a few weeks back during a group hike on the Chunky Gal Trail that I really enjoy cold weather hiking and hanging. Not as cold as you're going to get into, but you see my point, I'm sure. While we wre out, I was the only hanger in the group, so I was all alone in my hanging endeavors. Anyway, have fun, be safe, stay warm, keep us updated and take lots o' pictures! Enjoy!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

cold weather camping

I will be honest with you. I have never tried cold weather camping before. I work a lot outside in inclement weather so I am not a complete noob to dealing with cold weather....sleeping in it will be a change.

I have quite a few nights planned out in the yard testing my system...when I get it all together. I am still waiting on my SPE (thank you anonymous HF member!). I have a Montbell super stretch hugger # 3 that i am going to use for my bag/quilt. I know that is not enough yet. I still dont know what I am going to wear (I sound like a girl before prom). I am going to see if I can get a few oz of down to make a couple of diy articles.... I am much excited!

I will be taking pictures and video until the batteries are expired! LOL. The Stickpic is in the mail!

One thing I am still not decided on is weather to bring a woodstove or alcohol. I am thinking about making the supercat stove and bringinging like 4 oz of alcohol as a backup for a woodstove. I might make a J falk type of stove. I am TRYING not to become a stovie but there are so many interesting options out there!

Adam

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One thing I am still not decided on is weather to bring a woodstove or alcohol.......
    Caldera Keg. 'Nuff said.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    If it's just for backup, I would consider Esbit tabs. They are light, relatively cheap and work well. Alcohol stoves can be tricky in the cold, and with Esbit, there is no danger of getting hooked on stove building. Do not underestimate that danger, I know what I'm talking about.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One thing I am still not decided on is weather to bring a woodstove or alcohol. I am thinking about making the supercat stove and bringinging like 4 oz of alcohol as a backup for a woodstove. I might make a J falk type of stove. I am TRYING not to become a stovie but there are so many interesting options out there!Adam
    Hey Stormcrow,
    In cold weather I have had success with the J. Falk woodburning Bushwacker stove and an alcohol cat stove as back up and breakfast stove. You can't go wrong .... ya' got wood in the woods and alky for the times that you are beat and just do not want to mess with wood, although it doesn't take much wood.
    Try to warm your alcohol in your pocket or sleep with it if it gets really cold.
    I have a home-brewed Caldera and it does shorten cooking time. I use it with a cat stove I got with my J. Falk woodstove.
    I have received a BlackFly #4 stove from Tinny at Mini Bull Designs. It uses a wick and you can pour unused fuel back into your fuel bottle as the unused fuel doesn't boil. It is hard to explain so here is a link to a video I did on it last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI5I5SOmTp8
    It works fantastic, a little slower but a sure thing. What I like is saving fuel.
    Yes, stoves are addicting but it is a positive addiction.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 12-14-2008 at 21:29.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I use the littlbug Junior (yes, without the e). It can work as a woodburner as well as a holder and windscreen for an alky stove. Bonus is that it comes apart and takes up less space in your pack. I also have a hanging system for it. http://littlbug.com This boils water very quickly in woodstove mode. The nice thing about wood is you can heat as much water as you like and not worry about fuel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12