Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+winter&page=7

Would like everyone considering this trip to read the last 4 pages of this thread. "Cry of the wild" is a FB friend of mine and someone I've had the opportunity to hang with a few times now. The fellows from this trip were lucky they had him there. Winter camping is inherently dangerous. One persons inexperience can cause a life threatening situation for others. At the least, it can ruin the enjoyment of the trip for others. Also realize the core group of those who have been attending the "Minnesota Frozen Butt " for the last 2 years will decide if someone should not attend if we feel it may compromise the safety of the individual or the other hangers involved. We fully expect temps to drop well below a -20F.
    Last edited by stairguy; 11-22-2012 at 01:15.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Hennesey Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    6x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    3 Season CrowsNest
    Can't sleep out, I don't have the equipment. Besides my bed is very warm. But I could stop by and see you guys, you'll be just down the road. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Hammock
    DIY, Dangerbird, Night Owl, Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY and cuban
    Insulation
    HG and DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie and dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+winter&page=7

Would like everyone considering this trip to read the last 4 pages of this thread. "Cry of the wild" is a FB friend of mine and someone I've had the opportunity to hang with a few times now. The fellows from this trip were lucky they had him there. Winter camping is inherently dangerous. One persons inexperience can cause a life threatening situation for others. At the least, it can ruin the enjoyment of the trip for others. Also realize the core group of those who have been attending the "Minnesota Frozen Butt " for the last 2 years will decide if someone should not attend if we feel it may compromise the safety of the individual or the other hangers involved. We fully expect temps to drop well below a -20F.
    I would like to second this. I haven't spent a night that cold in my hammock (in a tent I have), but I know this and I am realistically keeping this in mind as the date approaches. I know my limits and I know the limits of my gear as should others if you are going to this hang. I'm not afraid to bail before the trip if the date approaches with colder temps than I and my gear can handle.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm hoping to make this one, but I'll need to wait a bit before committing. There's a family wedding around that time, and the date hasn't been confirmed yet.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by watertones View Post
    I would like to second this. I haven't spent a night that cold in my hammock (in a tent I have), but I know this and I am realistically keeping this in mind as the date approaches. I know my limits and I know the limits of my gear as should others if you are going to this hang. I'm not afraid to bail before the trip if the date approaches with colder temps than I and my gear can handle.
    I am in complete agreement with you and Stairguy on this, I have not hung with you all in Minnesota and if I have not been through the training I have had I would not consider this trip. To much room for error in that climate. Being a former search and rescue team member and being trained in the Marine Corps cold weather training program I have seen first hand the effects on people this type of climate has on people before. I would recommend anyone without experience in these temps to reconsider. And even experienced people must take caution.

I am very pleased to see the concern on this forum, so many people out there do not get concerned with others well being.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Got excited there for a moment until I Google mapped it and found a 19 hour drive from Ottawa, guess I'll have to hang closer to home that weekend.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolman View Post
    Got excited there for a moment until I Google mapped it and found a 19 hour drive from Ottawa, guess I'll have to hang closer to home that weekend.
    Will miss you on this one............get out there in the snow w/Hoop............
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    I hope I can make this hang. I can't commit until much closer to the date. I learned a lot at last years hang and had a great time.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    ...even experienced people must take caution.
    +1 As the martial arts wise man said, "Wear the white belt."

In other words, be open minded, like a beginner, so that you are not over confident, like a champion.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Bump for the SPREADSHEET

One thing on cold weather camping that I have noted, and is also planned for this outing, is a group hot meal at least once a day. There is a tab on the spreadsheet for the meals and the crew gear needed for a larger group.

It serves more than one purpose, a hot meal, and a time for evaluation of all participants, by all. If someone seems to be a bit down there may be a cold related cause that can be headed off before it becomes a danger. Everyone watches out for everyone else. Experience can help others, as well as learning from other.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast