DIY POS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cat
    Insulation
    Manly Hair
    Suspension
    Whoopie Straps

Baffle Help!! DIY UQ

So I'm completely baffled when it comes to baffles. I am starting a DIY UQ project because I received 7oz of 900 fill down to play with. I'm going to make a 3/4 UQ to hopefully make it rated to around 25-30f. I'm going to order some 1.1 ripstop from DIYgearsupply but before I do all this I want to understand baffles. I can sew and have had quite a bit of practice.
    Does anyone have a link to some diagrams? Also, I noticed Hammockgear.com uses "Dual Differential Cut Radial Baffle" and I have close to no idea what that means. Can some of the DIY veterans step up and help a novice out?

Thanks in advance.
    Here... take this. It won't save your life, but it may help you save your own.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Hammockgear's tailoring may be the most exquisite. That's not to say that others don't achieve all or nearly all. But, beware of the challenge in trying to emulate methods they have developed / evolved.

That said: "Differential" just means that the UQ as a hot-dog bun --with you the hot dog --, will be cut and sewn so the bun wraps with minimal compression. Since loft, by definition, creates space, the outer circumference of the UQ will be larger than the inner circumfrence

Dual differential takes it a step further, accounting for the curve in occupant-as-hot dog, from head to foot; and the need for the outer shell of the UQ to be seamed and suspended at the surface of the hammock bottom if the loft is not to be tapered away at the ends.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    This thread may help explain the differential cut.

Senior Member Superfluous Grizzly's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY POS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cat
    Insulation
    Manly Hair
    Suspension
    Whoopie Straps
    Thanks for the replies!
    I messaged Hammock Gear and got a nice response from Adam. I am now thinking maybe I should just order a UQ from HG and try this out when I understand all of this a little better. Anyway here are the messages between Adam and I:

Me:

"Hi there,
    Can you help me understand what "Dual Differential Cut Radial Baffle" means? I'm not even exactly sure what "baffle" is so this would be nice to know.
    A diagram would make the most sense to me if you have it but a simple explanation would be great as well.
    Thank you,
    Dan"

Adam:

"Hi Dan,

All of that techno Jargon is taking the long way to say something fairly simple. It means that the quilt is constructed around the idea that the outer shell of the quilt needs to be both longer and wider than the inner shell so that as it wraps around the hammock, the goose down insulation is not being compressed. I agree that a diagram does make sense and I have one in the works. We should have it up on our new site in a couple of weeks I think.

On a similar note. Hammock Gear quilts are the only ones currently available that are anatomically shaped to fit someone laying in a hammock. This is important because if the quilt is not up against the full lenth of the user, it becomes MUCH less effective. It becomes more noticeable as the temperatures start to fall away from a comfortable room temperature (72°F/22°C).

Anyway, sorry for the long response. I hope I answered your question. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Adam Hurst"

I highlighted in red something in his reply which I think will be great for simpletons like myself, a diagram! I'm highly anticipating this diagram.

I now understand why there are differences in width and length between the inside and outside layers. The outside layer creates channels for the down (baffles) to go in and they sort of dangle under the inside layer, decreasing the chance of down compression (if not completely stopping compression).

What I don't really understand is how down doesn't shift inside the channel. Is this impossible to avoid shifting or do I am I still missing something that should be somewhat obvious given the information I have received?

Gosh I have a headache and I think I need some coffee....

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Grizzly View Post
    ...The outside layer creates channels for the down (baffles) to go in and they sort of dangle under the inside layer, decreasing the chance of down compression (if not completely stopping compression).

What I don't really understand is how down doesn't shift inside the channel. Is this impossible to avoid shifting or do I am I still missing something that should be somewhat obvious given the information I have received?...
    You don't quite have it yet. Baffles are additional stripes of fabric sewn between the inner and outer layers to stop the down from shifting.

Some baffle styles.

There are many threads on HF showing quilts being constructed that show the baffles. Here's the first one I came across.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-20-2012 at 22:02.

Senior Member Superfluous Grizzly's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY POS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cat
    Insulation
    Manly Hair
    Suspension
    Whoopie Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You don't quite have it yet. Baffles are additional stripes of fabric sewn between the inner and outer layers to stop the down from shifting.

Some baffle styles.

There are many threads on HF showing quilts being constructed that show the baffles. Here's the first one I came across.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. No wonder this was confusing for me, I didn't realize that the baffles were separate pieces of fabric holding the down between the inside and outside layer. I thought the channel itself was the baffle*.
    Last edited by Superfluous Grizzly; 11-21-2012 at 00:55.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Here's a more detailed post on making a quilt that I failed to find earlier...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59310

• + New Posts