Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Bridge Hammock?

  1. #11
    Administrator Yukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, NY
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    3,025
    Images
    6
    Ridgerunner all the way!

  2. #12
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    You don't have to hang the bug net very high on the tree. I've connected it to the triangles on the suspension and it's been comfortably out of my face. The JRB netting pretty much goes straight, flat across the top of the hammock, so ANYTHING higher than that is going to give you more head room in the Ridgerunner.

    There is no comparison in terms of shoulder squeeze. JRB's hammock has it, the Ridgerunner doesn't - or at least, the Ridgerunner has so little shoulder squeeze that it's barely noticeable.

    The wider head end pole can be mitigated significantly by removing the short center piece, and this is in fact the main way I use my Ridgerunner. I almost never put the center piece in.

    The bug net is NOT a downfall. It's a massive, massive improvement. I despised the JRB bug net when I tried it. It's way too close to your face. You can pitch the Ridgerunner bug net up really high to get more space, or you can pitch it lower and still have way more room than you'd have in the Bear Mountain. Also, if you were really concerned about maximizing your space under the net and still having your tarp pitched low, you could either use a continuous tarp ridgeline under the tarp, and connect the bug net line to that, or you could sew a small loop on the underside of your tarp, and connect the bug line to that.

  3. #13
    Senior Member CB200T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Wife Made UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    You don't have to hang the bug net very high on the tree. I've connected it to the triangles on the suspension and it's been comfortably out of my face. The JRB netting pretty much goes straight, flat across the top of the hammock, so ANYTHING higher than that is going to give you more head room in the Ridgerunner.

    There is no comparison in terms of shoulder squeeze. JRB's hammock has it, the Ridgerunner doesn't - or at least, the Ridgerunner has so little shoulder squeeze that it's barely noticeable.

    The wider head end pole can be mitigated significantly by removing the short center piece, and this is in fact the main way I use my Ridgerunner. I almost never put the center piece in.

    The bug net is NOT a downfall. It's a massive, massive improvement. I despised the JRB bug net when I tried it. It's way too close to your face. You can pitch the Ridgerunner bug net up really high to get more space, or you can pitch it lower and still have way more room than you'd have in the Bear Mountain. Also, if you were really concerned about maximizing your space under the net and still having your tarp pitched low, you could either use a continuous tarp ridgeline under the tarp, and connect the bug net line to that, or you could sew a small loop on the underside of your tarp, and connect the bug line to that.
    Great, thanks this is very helpful.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Posts
    405
    +1 JRB BMBH

    my entire set-up is from the Jacks, very happy with those purchases

    One of the most underated aspects of the symmtrical design of the JRB BMBH, is the fact that with only a few pieces of gear I have enough insulation for a huge range of temps.

    Traditional sleeping bags work well as TQ in the BMBH. Traditional rectangular quilts [i.e. "non-differential cut"] can be used as either TQs or UQs. UQs can be doubled with ease.

    Just a ton of flexibility to use a qult as either a TQ or an UQ

    Also very little fiddle factor when it comes to suspending the UQ(s).

    I mix and match the following:
    neoair all season pad
    mid weight fleece liner
    hudson river quilt
    old rag mountain quilt
    3 season bag
    winter sleeping bag
    Love my JRB BMB

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    tjm, all of those things are true of all bridge hammocks, not just the jacks'

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Posts
    405
    When I have the neoair pad in the JRB BMBH I don't experience any shoulder squeeze.

    When I do not have the neoair pad in the JRB BMBH, I end up lying a bit on my side in order to remove it.

    I am sure the WB RR's assymterical design with the head end wider than the foot end goes a long way in improving the situation.
    Love my JRB BMB

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    tjm, all of those things are true of all bridge hammocks, not just the jacks'
    That is probably true. I know it is true for my hammock and it has saved me lots of money.

    Do the quilts that WB sells for the RR have an assymerical design to match the assymerical design of the hammock body? I would hope so.

    And then when you use that assymentrical UQ as a TQ, you just have a bit "more" quilt at one end, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Love my JRB BMB

  8. #18
    Senior Member Kanguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Galax, Va.
    Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    430
    Images
    20

    Wife likes hers

    My wife started in BMBH Deluxe. When she tried the BMBH UL she liked it even better. Much less shoulder squeeze. Big sale at JRB for Black Friday. Hammocks are already sale priced and more discount with a website coupon code.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

  9. #19
    Senior Member CB200T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Wife Made UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    435
    Well, I went with the WBRR double layer with bug net. They had one with blemishes so I got a great deal on it along with a black Friday sale price. Hopefully it does the trick!
    <a href="http://pitapata.com/"><img src="http://pdgf.pitapata.com/Upg6m5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="PitaPata Dog tickers" /></a>

  10. #20
    Administrator Yukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, NY
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    3,025
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    Well, I went with the WBRR double layer with bug net. They had one with blemishes so I got a great deal on it along with a black Friday sale price. Hopefully it does the trick!
    Congrats on an awesome purchase!!

Similar Threads

  1. Bridge Hammock & Hammock Pipe Stand?
    By Trail Runner in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2014, 11:34
  2. Bridge hammock
    By abwillingham in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 17:34
  3. My first DIY bridge hammock
    By half-a-jeep in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 09:08
  4. Do you sleep warmer in a bridge hammock or a bannana hammock
    By HappyCamper in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 23:32
  5. Hammock Bliss Coccon and Bridge Hammock
    By TeeDee in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 12:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •