ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Layman comparisons

First off, I REALLY hope I'm not cluttering the forum with a repeat or wrongly categorized post. If I need to move it or if this is somewhere else, please let me know and I'll move/delete as needed...

So I'm brand-spanking new to hammock camping and I'm it itching for my first hang. I've been camping for years, but this is all new, and obviously I'm gonna need some new gear. So my big question is this:

What are the meaningful differences in the different brands of hammocks?

Just the hammocks. I can understand about quilts and tarps and lines Etc., but what makes one hammock 55$ and another 250$ when they're near identical?

I'm looking at the ENO Double Nest Deluxe sleep system with the big tarp upgrade. I haven't read anything bad about ENO, but I haven't really seen anything off the ENO board to read. But I'm seeing LOTS of praise and longing over Hennessy and especially Warbonnet. I've looked up those and many others, but I haven't seen much difference between any of the makers to warrant the HUGE price differences.

I'm big on DIY, and I'll surely be making my own hammock in the future, but for a first, I'd like something from someone who knows what they're doing. Lol though I'm pretty sure I'll end up modding the hell out what what ever I get.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Before you spend a cent, come to a hang. You will see all of this stuff, try it out, ask questions, and eat way too much. Buffalo River in 2 weeks.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made my first one and it is still my go-to hammock as I could re-whip it and rail in my lay. Used our very own Just Jeff's instructions......http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    The difference in bought ones is material used, suspension that it come with, length, width, design, bug-net or not....etc. Many factors. Also where it is made affects price.
    It can be daunting but take your time and look them over. Try Goggling "Camping Hammocks". You'll get a lot to look at . But look in the vendors section here as well and peruse.
    Carry forth......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Before you spend a cent, come to a hang. You will see all of this stuff, try it out, ask questions, and eat way too much. Buffalo River in 2 weeks.
    +1 on this. Seeing it in person will make it clear on why some cost more than others.

As a general note, they're usually not the same. An Eno double-nest for example is just the hammock, with suspension that probably needs to be changed out.

A Warbonnet Blackbird, however, has the hammock, good usuable suspension, a bug net ($80 on its own) and other nice features. Dream Hammocks - same thing - extra features that justify the added cost.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

A huge +1 on old gringo's advise, you will learn there in a day what it might take a long time to learn otherwise. Besides personal preference/prejudice, there really are many differences in hammocks. A good hang visit is priceless. By the way, welcome to HF from Ga. Perhaps we will meet at a hang some time.

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Whoa, the Great and Powerful Shug himself!

I'm pretty set on the ENO sleep system, it's affordable and seems like a pretty good start. And I've been drowning in threads, Google, Wikipedia, and anything else I can read. I just can't get over some of the price differences! I don't mind parting with the cash if I can afford it if I know I'm buying a good, quality item. Sometimes the higher cost really is worth it. But I'm having a hard time seeing 250$ being better than 60$ when it's the same hammock O.o

I'm mostly really curious to hear from those with experience if it's worth it?

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    DYING to hang! I've met some guys a few years ago who were hammock campers and got my first feel from them, and if I remember right they were using War Bonnet something's.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    +1 I usually listen when oldgringo "speaks"
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    There's plenty of differences from sizes, fabrics, fabric weights, integrated features vs. add-ons, one even has a pillow-like area created just by the way it is sewn.

I'm still a newbie, only here bout 10 months and already own several hammocks. Using each one's features for a different type of trip.

I know a couple folks who sleep nearly fulltime in their Eno double nests - most of them will often use a different hammock(s) for different trips.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    ...But I'm having a hard time seeing 250$ being better than 60$ when it's the same hammock O.o...
    But it's not "the same hammock" (or system components), lay or weight, etc. Why spend $60 for the ENO when you can "get the same hammock" for $20?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    +1 I usually listen when oldgringo "speaks"
    ^^^ This.

You can go to a hang and try out many hammocks/systems and learn about the differences in a day, or do like many of us have and spend months/years and many, many, many more $$$'s to get the same amount of knowledge. Entirely your choice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast