Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Gand trunk UL modified
    Tarp
    Cheapo DIY plastic
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Oahu, Hawaii. Need trail info and fellow hangers.

So now that I've finished all of my training and what not I finally got stationed on mcbh, Kaneohe bay. As I'm getting settled in I have been focusing on two things, and finding a car and getting back on the trails. I don't have any of my gear here yet but I'll have it shipped once I have an idea of the area. So that being said, I'm looking for hangers that have experience on Oahu and know the good trails. I'm looking for for longer trails where I can set up camp wherever like back home in Florida. And obviously the trails with interesting terrain and scenery interest me most, if like waterfalls and good mountain views. any and all help is appreciated and if you wouldn't mind an extra hanger tagging along on your next trip just let me know.
    PFC OLIVER, United States Marine Corps. Currently stationed at MCBH Kaneohe bay, and Hawaii. Heavy equipment operator, Combat Logistics Battalion 3. RAHH

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    nice, not a bad place to be stationed. i was lucky enough to spend 2 months in Honolulu in jan and feb 2012. Sadly, did not have any camping or hanging gear. did the volcanoes, pretty cool for a Canadian kid, but my favorite little trek was Manoa falls north of the university . it was not a long hike, but very interesting and some great views. A little side trail near the falls would probably take you to some good stealth spots . Enjoy the sunshine and beaches, I found Ala Moana beach really nice, lots of friendly people and less tourists like me. I wish I knew more for you, but have to assume the forest reserve should have some great places also . Enjoy, and I hope to see lots of tips. Hope to go back late Feb 2013
    Attached Images Attached Images
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    didn't get to do any hiking when we went to oahu but shark's cove is an excellent snorkling spot. and bellows beach is pretty awesome.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    oh and get some bbq from i think the place was called big kahuna's it was tasty.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm stationed over on Schofield Barracks and I've been here for over two years. Ten months left and I'm really itching to knock out some more trails before I go. I'm pretty familiar with the trail networks here. Look me up sometime if you're interested.
    Never. And I do mean NEVER, rub your eye after eating Jalepeno Kettle Cooked Potato Chips.

My Hiking Blog

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    One of my early frustrations was trying to find books on the subject, today its Trimble Outdoors for hike suggestions that are free.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Search/#Kaneohe bay
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    +1 on Manoa Fall behind University of Hawaii. The falls are beautiful, and they used to let you swim in the water on go under the falls, but since a rock slide, I don't think it is permitted. If I remember correctly there are some trails up into the mountain over closer to the Marine base. I am so envious of you. I'd love to go back to Hawaii and live.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A few hours before you posted this thread, I googled the exact thing. My wife found a ridiculously cheap flight to Oahu and suggested we go there instead for our holiday this winter. *GULP* How do you say no to that? I don't know but I'm trying…

All the hiking trails seem to be very short from what I've found so far, if you find something longer than a short day hike let me know.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There are definitely longer hikes, they're just not very well publicized. I've gone on an overnight on the Ko'olau Summit Trail and I'm planning a three day, two-night in January. There are days and days of trails, you just have to know where to look. Almost all of the advertised trails that you find are less than three-hour hikes. Check out my blog from my profile for pictures of my last KST hike with route information.
    Never. And I do mean NEVER, rub your eye after eating Jalepeno Kettle Cooked Potato Chips.

My Hiking Blog

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A few nice hikes to get you started and used to hiking on Oahu:

1. Mariner's Ridge: the most "bang for your buck". This is only about a 45 minute hike up to the "top". Here you get amazing views of nearly 300 degrees around the island. You wouldn't want to camp "on" Mariner's Ridge, but you could hike just a few hundred yards in either direction and find a remote enough place to hang.

Manoa Falls: nice waterfall hike. Cool and mostly shaded. No camping.

Pali Notches: awesome short hike, somewhat dangerous as there are some heights and some exposure near the chimney(s). Beautiful views. Extremely windy!!

Pali Puka: on the left side of the Pali Lookout there is a "hidden" entrance to an awesome "easy" hike. If you are facing the Pali Lookout, there will be a bus parking area to the left. Go over by the busses on the sidewalk and you will see a dip in the rock wall lining the parking lot. Step up on the dip and into a bamboo forest. You will see a clearly defined trail taking you up the mountain. After about fifteen to twenty minutes you will see the Puka (Puka means "hole" in Hawaiian). It's just a hole in the side of the mountain. Pretty cool. A lot of people turn back here, but this is actually part of the Ko'olau Summit Trail (KST). The KST is the longest mountain range on Oahu.

Ka'ala: Ka'ala is the highest peak on Oahu and is accessed from the Waianai coast on the Leeward Side. It takes about 3-4 hours to climb to the top. The views at the top are amazing. On a clear day, you can see the entire island (Diamond Head to North Shore).

My Hiking Blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast