Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I carried/carry a small fleece stuff sack for my fuel canister that I usually use for the Nalgene bottle. It doesn't completely cover the bottle, but the drawstring holds well enough for the job. No bag back-up for leaks, but that's not a bad idea.

Word of caution; depending on which study you believe, the 'boiling' water may leach out little nasties from the Nalgene. Best bet is probably to dump the water in the morning and not drink it, no need to carry an 'extra'.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 12-07-2008 at 23:32. Reason: "a" to "an" so my english teacher doesn't find me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I fill it about 2/3s of the way full.

Sounds like another plus for the Bushbuddy stove, no fuel concerns. In addition you start with a least one quart of non-frozen, potable water.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    A bushbuddy type stove may not be a bad idea for this, I can make one that is very lightweight and easy to carry. I like that idea. I filled mine all the way up, and since my bottle has never leaked on me, I didn't put it in a plastic bag. I also was wearing my polar fleece pants and smart wool socks, so the bottle never came in contact with my flesh. If contact to your flesh was a possability I would cover it some how.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is worth remembering that hot water at home is recommended set no higher than about 120 F to prevent scalding. If the water starts out at boiling (212 F) it would certainly be prudent to prevent direct contact with the skin.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    And be sure you're using a bottle that you can trust. Nalgene is well made.
    I have tested & used Gatoraid bottles. They will deform a little from boiling water, but have not leaked for me. Might be better for those to use water that has not yet reached the boiling point or add a little cold water to the bottle.

In the past, I always put my hot water bottle in a sock or fleece cozy, then into a dry bag, but I never saw any sign of leakage, so now I just use a bottle type I believe to be trust worthy, in a sock or other cozy, but no dry bag.
    I guess when it's cold enough to need a hot water bottle, putting it in a dry bag is not a bad precaustion, in case there would be any leakage.

Any bottle you're not sure about, I would test at home first before taking it to bed out on the trail.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I wonder if this could be done with a Platypus bottle. They are much lighter and would probably be more comfortable to sleep with. Anybody ever tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Bphil View Post
    I wonder if this could be done with a Platypus bottle. They are much lighter and would probably be more comfortable to sleep with. Anybody ever tried?
    I would not try that myself.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I thought about testing it out with mine because I do not always carry a nalgene. I have the anti-gravity gear gravity filter that attaches directly to the evernew "platypus" style bag. The mouth is a lot narrower, but my evernew has never leaked. The Platypus style bags would be more like a traditional hot water bottle though. I am sure this method would work with almost anything that can hold hot water, and then transfer the heat on to you. All I know is that it works great.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I did an overnighter (low 32d) with the scouts this past weekend. I used a 16 oz bottle in a couple of medium weight socks. Had my new BA Yampa and Exped 7 short also. I put the bottle in the bag about 30 min prior to going to sleep. It was warm and toasty getting in, in fact it was too warm. By 2am the bottle had lost enough heat that I had to incorporate my old army wool liner.
    So, I need to regulate the output better to enable for a longer "burn". I think next time I'll use my 2 liter Platypus and mayble make a reflectix and/or fleece cozie for it.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast