DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I picked up a 16oz nalgene bottle that's perfect for this. Also doubles as a measuring cup, and, obviously, water storage.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Talking hahaha bottles leaking

I suggested this at the florida hang this year and i got laughed at. I actually suggested the hot rocks idea first. However the idea of finding rocks in Florida is not a likely one.

I then said well if it gets too cold we can always try the Bear Grylls trick...

This had the fire pit in an up roar (oh the puns in this post). Perhaps this was due to the lack of respect people have for Bear Grylls. I dunno. Hate if you want but the guy has his own tv show and sells camping equipment.

I was actually talking about the trick where he pees in a bottle for warmth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ammf-PtPKQ

I guess the idea of sleeping with urine pissed people off. Better than freezing though IMO. Now that we are back in the real world and reading these post i realize im not that crazy. Ok i'm a little bit crazy but not for the hammock heater idea. Very entertaining thread. Thanks to those who didnt read any of the other post and ended up sounding redundant.

Stay warm and hydrated friends.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Great idea, actually. Why let all that warmth go to waste?! I'm getting out of the hammock, though, to do it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

This is interesting to say the least, I have a nalgene, I should definitely try this out.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Was backpacking a few months ago and it got cold and wet. I started getting mild signs of hypothermia and remembered seeing this trick. Grabbed my stove and heated up some water and got back in my sleeping bag(which was wet) and stayed warm most the night. Still pretty miserable night since I was sleeping in about a 3 inch puddle in my hammock..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This made my trip this past weekend SOOOO much more enjoyable! I always saw this thread and thought "big deal, why bother".

It's nice to have warm feet instantly, and thru most of the night. Even after it cooled down, my feet kept plenty warm on their own.

WELL WORTH the ~9grams of fuel. The next best thing is having coffee quicker with less fuel spent in the morning. 60° water sure heats up faster than the stuff with ice chunks in it!

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    I once came from KS to backpack around the west side of Pikes Peak in CO; the altitude change made me physically sick, but I felt so bad I did not want to leave my shelter so I threw up into a gallon baggie. Felt how warm it was so I double bagged it and put it in my sleeping bag; it stayed warm for some time, and no, I did not eat it in the morning. Never have drunk my own urine or used it to keep warm, though. Used a hot water bottle just this weekend to stay warm; worked well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I don't get to camp enough to justify fancy under quilts and such, so I just make due with a cheap 30o mummy bag and a gi issue ccf pad. The hot water bottle method enables me to camp into the low 30's. I'm not toasty warm mind you, but I can sleep. Never had it leak.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    What about the use of hand warmers to achieve the same purpose... Ive used several times and put in the right places kept me warm all night... Also you could use a zippo hand warmer.. they stay warm for long periods of time as well

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    I agree with the have enough insulation for the need. But I also have run into weather 20-40 F Windchill greater than the forecast prepared us for. (Remember the days before Noa... I'd did Ely 50 years ago as an explorer scout ,, fortunately in the summer. I have tested and carry part of a Blizzard bag even though the weight penalty probably more that offsets using non-Down insulation that would have greater temperature use then wet down. I just feel better carrying it. As far a water in the hammock. Other than keeping the primary supply from freezing carefully sealed in a dry bag, I don't like the consequences of the risk of a leak and useless down insulation..

The Army story I believe is myth. We used Zippo heaters extensively winter camping in the upper lower pen. of Michigan in the Army and were dang glad to have those "hand warmers" Also used them a lot in Scouts. I think they have their place with thoughtful use. (What do you mean you feel like you have a head ache or are getting the flue. DUH!) I have played with a UCO candle in a two man tent with proper ventilation and precautions. The results were quite favorable.

I use Black Cats in my deer blinds for an entire night and or day. Proper more than ample ventilation and carbon Monoxide poisoning awareness are the key.
    I toyed around with making a protective aluminum cover just in case the UCO ever fell at night. I need to explore that further along with a protective cover. With a properly designed Winter cover over the hammock with strategically placed ventilation both low and high and a mylar wall on the windy side ,a candle or two might make a significant difference. Would be an interesting series of experiments anyway.
    Regards,
    Last edited by SSGHawk; 03-19-2014 at 22:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 57 of 86 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast