Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can you say Prostrate issues?

This is one serious limitation I see to the BMBH hammock versus top/side loading hammocks, at least for us guys. The only hammock I have that has "issues" with late night calls is my Hennessy. All the others make late night 'watering' very easy; just roll and aim.

Still, I don't think you'll 'go' anymore than normal when you start with a source of warm down there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Can you say Prostrate issues?

This is one serious limitation I see to the BMBH hammock versus top/side loading hammocks, at least for us guys. The only hammock I have that has "issues" with late night calls is my Hennessy. All the others make late night 'watering' very easy; just roll and aim.

Still, I don't think you'll 'go' anymore than normal when you start with a source of warm down there.
    And I suspect you might actually go less if you are warmer. I can think of another reason: If you are cold, circulation is pulled from the periphery and increased in the core. Which would increase blood pressure at the kidneys, thus more urine production.

Yep, I can say "prostate issues" , but I don't think it was a factor in what I'm talking about here. This is something strictly related to cold, being a bit hypothermic. Has anyone else here observed this? Sleep pretty much through the night when warm, up more frequently when cold? Maybe it was a coincidence in my experiences.

Regardless, there is nothing quite as nice as a hot water bottle if you are close to the limits of your gear!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-08-2008 at 23:21.

Images
    BillyBob, I recall reading somewhere that once you become acclimated, your body tries to retain fluids when the weather warms so that it can use it for sweat production. And it tries to expel fluids when the weather cools so that it doesn't have to heat up more fluids. That has been my experience since my thru hike.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Using a Platy for this would kind of scare me.

I've had 2 of those develop leaks for no apparent reason. I think it's very important to point out that it's risky enough taking water (even hot) to bed with you when temps are hostile. What are you going to do if you, your clothing, your quilts, and your hammock get wet when temps are below freezing? You probably won't notice until the water has had a chance to soak several items and cool down. That's a lot of push-ups and jumping jacks to do to get and stay warm.

I always start thinking worst case scenarios when I'm doing something like this and I try to minimize those risks as much as possible. In this instance, I choose the most reliable container I can; that ain't no Platy.
    I shared a shelter in north Georgia one night with a guy that wrapped his water bladder in some of his clothes to use it as a pillow and also to keep it from freezing (which is another big issue). Well... it leaked, the overnight temperatures where in the single digits and he had a problem. Just getting frozen shoes on was a challenge and his wet clothes froze solid minutes after he laid them on the shelter floor... luckily he had other clothes. At least he could laugh about it and deal with it that time, but other times at those temperatures, I don't know.

You take your chances with all this sometimes and hope for the best. Just try to give yourself the best odds you can. I have had many of the soft water bladders fail over the years, but never a Nalgene bottle or a Gatorade bottle. I do try to remember to change out my Gatorade bottles from time to time since the cost is right, that might be a good idea with the soft water bladders as well.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Clark NA Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Camo XL
    Insulation
    Army poncho liner
    Has anyone tried the soft sided two quart canteen the military issues. That, coupled with the cover (insulated) it may be just the ticket. If anyone has any firsthand experience with it, I'd be interested.

I'll test it's thermal tolerance tomorrow and edit.

And one liter soda bottles don't work so well.
    I sleep in the trees.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gilla View Post
    Amen. Been there, done that; sucked. Same as slowhike and others have pointed out, cheap plastic = bad results.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    One thing about the gator aid bottles... they will deform some what if the water is actually boiling when you pour it, but in my experience, they have never leaked a drop.
    But I did decide to be safe & use water that has not quite come to a full boil or have a few ozs of cold water already in the bottle when I pour it in if the water had already come to a boil.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Interesting reading. Living in FL we don't get the severe cold temps that a lot of you see up north, but it is still nice to stay warm on those chilly 40* nights here in FL. I have been looking at the MSR Dromedary bags. Has anyone looked at or tried these? They describe that you can boil it or freeze it, the polyurethane, food-grade coating inside handles every use. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gilla View Post
    Has anyone tried the soft sided two quart canteen the military issues. That, coupled with the cover (insulated) it may be just the ticket. If anyone has any firsthand experience with it, I'd be interested.

I'll test it's thermal tolerance tomorrow and edit.

You can put boiling water inside a GI 2-Quart bladder...ONCE! I would NOT recommend that option.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblerats View Post
    I have been looking at the MSR Dromedary bags. Has anyone looked at or tried these? They describe that you can boil it or freeze it, the polyurethane, food-grade coating inside handles every use. Just a thought.
    Good bags. I've had one for a couple of years, actually bought it when I was hiking sections of the FT. Never leaked a drop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast