Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben /doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchhook whoopies

Yutanpo style how water bottle, heat directly on stove?

I love using a stainless steel liter Kleen Kanteen bottle with metal cap as a hot water bottle, but usually have to re-heat once overnight. The hassle of transferring the water to the stove, and especially the hot water back to the bottle, is the one hitch in my hot water bottle giddy-up.

I ran across the Japanese term Yutanpo, and specifically the Snow Peak Yutanpo. Pictures of the cap show it to be machined of solid brass with a spring loaded pressure relief valve much like a radiator cap. I emailed Snow Peak asking if the cap allowed the yutanpo to be warmed directly on a stove, eliminating the need to transfer water. Sadly, they said no.

So my question to the collective is this: What do you think about a hot water bottle that can be heated directly on a stove using a pressure relief valve with a kettle whistle or something to signal when it's hot?

I finally tried this a few weeks ago - worked great! I used my Camelbak water bottle wrapped up in a fleece shirt as a proof of concept. I designed my quilts ~20F and they have been fine to mid 20's, although I do start to notice that it's cold out. The night I tried the water bottle it got down ~15F and the bottle performed great.

I have some fabric that is like a thin fleece on one side and standard fabric on the outside, so I'm thinking about making a cozy out of that.

A benefit I found from the water bottle was that I had water ready to go for coffee in the morning, and I didn't need any extra handwarmers or other equipment.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    A benefit I found from the water bottle was that I had water ready to go for coffee in the morning, and I didn't need any extra handwarmers or other equipment.
    All that right there is enough justification to use the little bit of fuel to heat the water. And if you're heating the water on a wood stove, it's totally free!

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rlcanon View Post
    I love using a stainless steel liter Kleen Kanteen bottle with metal cap as a hot water bottle, but usually have to re-heat once overnight. The hassle of transferring the water to the stove, and especially the hot water back to the bottle, is the one hitch in my hot water bottle giddy-up.

I ran across the Japanese term Yutanpo, and specifically the Snow Peak Yutanpo. Pictures of the cap show it to be machined of solid brass with a spring loaded pressure relief valve much like a radiator cap. I emailed Snow Peak asking if the cap allowed the yutanpo to be warmed directly on a stove, eliminating the need to transfer water. Sadly, they said no.

So my question to the collective is this: What do you think about a hot water bottle that can be heated directly on a stove using a pressure relief valve with a kettle whistle or something to signal when it's hot?

why not just take the cap off the klean canteen and heat it up in the bottle. then slip the bottle in a reflextic coozie.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think I'm going to pick up one of these 2 liter stainless steel bottles off of E-bay or take the paint off of the dollar store stainless water bottles we've been using if they'll sit on top of my Fancee feest stove. The 2L one is pretty wide and would definitely work although they are on the big side. The ones I have now are pretty tall and would be difficult to balance on top of my fancee feest. Other than that the have a good gasket in the lid and you can heat the water to boiling and put the cap on and put the bottle in a sock to keep it from burning you.

image.jpg

Hammock
    My own, durtsurf
    Tarp
    My own, durtsurf
    Insulation
    My own, durtsurf
    Suspension
    My own, durtsurf
    I don't use a stove generally so if it is real cold I'll throw some handwarmers into the bottom of my sleeping bag and that seems to do a great job of keeping warm toes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I just got back from doing some hikes at The Buffalo National River. The first night got down to 20* and the second night was about 24*. I had my 5oz Climashield XP Top and Under Quilts, as well as my windshield heat reflector. I believe that Jeff has talked about boiling water and pouring it into a Nalgene to use as a hot water bottle. I decided to try this the second night and WOW, THIS WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually have a problem getting my toes to warm up, but not with this. It instantly warmed up my quilts and was still warm 8 hours later that morning. I do not care if I have to carry another fuel canister just to have to do this, this is awesome, and I'm sure that you could extend the range of a bag/quilt by doing this. Just thought I would post this for all yall that are thinking of ways to stay warm, this is very easy and takes no time to do at all. I hope it helps yall out.

Dwight
    I design and build custom outdoor gear personally in Bend Oregon. I strive for excellent weight and price characteristics in my products, making many of my products fair weather orientated. Money back guarantee for defects or dissatisfaction. I can be found as Durtsurf on facebook, Ebay and youtube.
    https://www.facebook.com/durtsurf/?ref=hl
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtsurf1

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Fellas, I haven't read all of the comments in this thread (70 pages) but, has anyone tried a Zippo hand warmer? I bought one before Christmas to help keep hands warm while trout fishing in a river. Also, In hammock keeping my hands warm. Feet were Ok because I used a different method to keep them warm. Has anyone tried the Zippo method? The warmer uses zippo lighter fluid, is inexpensive, easy to carry, The hand warmer works about 8-10 hours on one refill.

Hammock
    My own, durtsurf
    Tarp
    My own, durtsurf
    Insulation
    My own, durtsurf
    Suspension
    My own, durtsurf
    How do those work? I can't figure out how you can have a little fire safely inside a sleeping bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    Fellas, I haven't read all of the comments in this thread (70 pages) but, has anyone tried a Zippo hand warmer? I bought one before Christmas to help keep hands warm while trout fishing in a river. Also, In hammock keeping my hands warm. Feet were Ok because I used a different method to keep them warm. Has anyone tried the Zippo method? The warmer uses zippo lighter fluid, is inexpensive, easy to carry, The hand warmer works about 8-10 hours on one refill.
    I design and build custom outdoor gear personally in Bend Oregon. I strive for excellent weight and price characteristics in my products, making many of my products fair weather orientated. Money back guarantee for defects or dissatisfaction. I can be found as Durtsurf on facebook, Ebay and youtube.
    https://www.facebook.com/durtsurf/?ref=hl
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtsurf1

i love my jet boil for this reason. boil water, put in nalgene and sleep cozy

I found this fabric at Joann which is fleece on the inside and smooth on the outside, and made a stuffsack out of it for my Nalgene. Haven't tested it yet, but I think it will work great.

20160207_151434.jpg
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast