Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by h12plus View Post
    Attachment 104288 I bought one of these. I'm going to test it out this week end on a camp out.
    I would be very afraid of these bottles rupturing sooner or later. The consequences of a rupture may not be pretty, as in severe burns.
    I just went with a nagelene bottle as it seems to be tried and true and without cause to rupture.... a leak is one thing but a rupture can be nasty painful and if your miles and miles from medical help it could be a very long painful ordeal.
    I would suggest that you never use water hotter than what can be tolerated without burning your skin with that bottle style.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    On my most recent Winter outing we hiked all night and got into the hammocks at 6 am. I took my water bottle into the hammock with me so it wouldn't freeze up on me. I kept it against my side. I soon was chilled and it occurred to me that while I was warming it up it was also cooling me down! I know about using a warm bottle to keep me warm but I simply did not occur to me that by me trying to warm the bottle the opposite was happening.
    (WM)===:::

Hammock
    Amok 3.0
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Everyone seems to be using the Nalgene bottle. Is there a reason another type of water bottle will not work as well? I`m guessing it is because the Nalgene holds up to the hot temps. Any thoughts on this would appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMay View Post
    Everyone seems to be using the Nalgene bottle. Is there a reason another type of water bottle will not work as well? I`m guessing it is because the Nalgene holds up to the hot temps. Any thoughts on this would appreciated.
    Nalgenes seem to "lock" even without really tightening it down. And the temp is a big part of it I'm sure. I think I saw a photo of someone showing it deformed...but come on, do you need it THAT hot? A few degrees before boiling lasts me all night.

I'm sure you can make it work in a cheap plastic bottle, but I wonder if that makes it less safe to drink out of?

I used my MSR Dromlite bag on my last tip. Man, that was slick!! It was nice to be able to flatten it out, covering more of my feet. At one point I even "folded" it over my feet. I think I'll be doing this from now on. Plus, I can hold more water...but not too much. I found 1.5L was really nice.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad->TQUQ
    I tried the Nalgene bottle this past winter and just couldn't get over the fear of it leaking and getting me all wet in the winter - not to mention any burns. I put it in a big ziplock bag as a secondary layer.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    I've seen this tacked thread but never read it. Must admit I'm surprised. I'll have to try this the next time I go camping.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'll be down to 16° this weekend. Not using a bottle this time, but using my 5+ year old down booties for the FIRST time believe it or not. I hope they keep me warm!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tundracamper View Post
    I tried the Nalgene bottle this past winter and just couldn't get over the fear of it leaking and getting me all wet in the winter - not to mention any burns. I put it in a big ziplock bag as a secondary layer.
    Burns? You know, you don't use the bottle by itself. Put it in a sock, or at least wrapped in an extra shirt or towel.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HB Sky bed with bug net
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10 silnyl
    Insulation
    Thermarest neoair
    Suspension
    strap/dutch buckle
    I got myself into a hairy situation a few years back. I Was caught in a nasty storm and was in serious threat of hypothermia. What saved me was boiling water in a mountain house pouch and cuddling it like a baby in a crib. Hey it worked and saved me from serous danger. I like the nalgean idea. Might give it a whirl.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I've used this method while winter camping in MN as low as -10 F. I purchased one of the nalgene sleeves from REI and use it to insulate the bottle. It means a couple things. The bottle won't feel nearly as hot right away AND it will stay warmer MUCH longer. The sock method while winter camping keeps the water warm for about 4-5 hours while winter camping, but when I switched to the nalgene sleeve it now stays warm up to 8-10 hours.

SO happy to have this thread up here. Nalgenes are one of the best things to happen to the outdoors, IMHO...

• + New Posts
  • Page 66 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast