Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Exclamation Virginia (VA) Group Hangs for Spring of 2013

I wanted to get this started now so we can start to gather all the VA hammockers together as well as other people out of state that dont mind traveling. I have started a Facebook page that we can all share for any of our VA Hangs we plan. If we can get all the interested VA residents to "Like" the fan page then they will get any updates on trips being planed. Sometimes VA trips that get posted here get buried rather quickly and other Virginians might miss out on an opportunity for a group hang.

If you are interested in this idea simply message the Facebook page and I will give you moderator rights so you can plan and edit events on the page. Just send me a message with your HF username in it and ask for moderator rights.

If we can get alot of the VA members to join the page then any trip planning can be done much simpler through the Event planner on the Facebook page. Plus any updates will automatically notify each attendee through their facebook account.

I understand that this site does offer tools for trip planning but are often overlooked by members so events can be missed because of this. I am hoping that this will allow for us Virginians to setup Group Hangs much easier in the future. If your interested please click the link below.
    Virginia Hangs Facebook Page
    VirginiaHangers.jpg

Also this Spring I typically do a Hike on the AT (south of Waynesboro area). Dates are still up for discussion as well as exact location for the hike.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I would be interested in a VA hang, depending on where and when, but I don't do Facebook, no interest in starting an account.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    No facebook for me either

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    No Facebook x3, but would like to keep up with any nearby hangs.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    No Facebook x3, but would like to keep up with any nearby hangs.

-Klauss
    Understandable, the reason for the facebook was mainly because it centralizes everybody and allows for easy exchange of information for trip planning and updates. If there was a separate Sub-forum for just VA Hangs then it would solve this issue; and HF would be the prime place to coordinate group hangs. I do like that they have calendars and other things to try and plan events but to truly make this forum a perfect place for trip planning, I think they would need to build a sub-forum for each state. But until then, the facebook page looks to be a good option for most. Understanding that there is some that don't like facebook (i dont blame you), I still think its a good alternative for VA hangers to get together and keep up to date with trips that are being planned.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great idea! I've joined and am already thinking about the next hang. Thanks!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    You could alternatively make a group Google calendar, invite any participants and let anyone edit.

Alternatively or additionally!

I know how to create a calendar. Does anyone know how to make it publicly editable by anyone? Or is that possible? Pretty sure it could only be edited by someone with a Google account, but you should have one anyway!

Last resort with this idea is someone could manage it. I could to that. If a few of us had permission to edit it, we could invite anyone else to edit it as well.

Let me know if you want to play with this idea.

https://www.google.com/calendar/embe...erica/New_York

So if you are a Gmail user or otherwise have a Google account, pm me your address and I'll add you to the permissions list to edit this calendar.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 11-24-2012 at 18:54.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    You could alternatively make a group Google calendar, invite any participants and let anyone edit.

Alternatively or additionally!

I know how to create a calendar. Does anyone know how to make it publicly editable by anyone? Or is that possible? Pretty sure it could only be edited by someone with a Google account, but you should have one anyway!

Last resort with this idea is someone could manage it. I could to that. If a few of us had permission to edit it, we could invite anyone else to edit it as well.

Let me know if you want to play with this idea.

https://www.google.com/calendar/embe...erica/New_York

So if you are a Gmail user or otherwise have a Google account, pm me your address and I'll add you to the permissions list to edit this calendar.
    I may be wrong but I think in order for all to access it and or make changes, they would have to have a gmail account. Calendars are great but are only able to store small amounts of info. The event planner for Facebook allows lots of information to be shared including a Map of where the even takes place and allows the participants to discuss about the event in a forum fashion.

The problem always lies in finding a source that "everybody" uses. I picked facebook because of the popularity of it and ease of use. Very user friendly. Another problem with the google documents encountered on previous occasions was simply the lack of interest in checking it on a daily basis. Most people log into their facebook at least once a day so it was a perfect place because it will notify members on their own Facebook page of any new events and changes for the events. It's just the perfect place for trip planning. Plus they will see updates on their wall of any posts from the Virginia Hangs Facebook Page.

I am always open to try different things, if everybody would rather use google for trip planning, then I am game.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I don't disagree with you X, but as you've already seen there is a hesitance with some to use FB. That includes me.

Also don't disagree that FB users would see any new information there more readily. FB would be easier, some people just don't like it.

Just offering this to augment your idea. Not as an alternative.

I'll manage it if you like, and maybe we'll just see how it goes?

Got Google? PM me and I'll add you to the calendar. If it flops, it flops.

Also, btw, anyone with the link can view the calendar. You do have to be a Google user and registered with permission to edit it, but anyone can view it.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Update. We now have 10 members active on the Facebook page now. Its only be up for a day, not bad. If we can double that number then I think we would have a pretty solid place for trip planning. This might just work out pretty good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast