Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Handy Hammock - The Ultralight Hammock Stand

When extending the distance between the poles, don't base it on the length of the hammocks. Instead use the difference in ridge line lengths. Plus the adaptor piece.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    When extending the distance between the poles, don't base it on the length of the hammocks. Instead use the difference in ridge line lengths. Plus the adaptor piece.
    Therein may be my problem. I don't have any hammocks (7) that have a structural ridgeline so each time I hang it the measurement may differ. If one hangs their hammock too tight it may generate forces applied in a direction slightly different than intended.

Andrew pointed out that my stakes weren't in as far as they should but I hung on them when the hammock wasn't hung tightly and they didn't come out. Just sayin'.

Right now I'm thinking a looser hang is better than a tighter hang and stakes driven most of the way in is the best.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    If one hangs their hammock too tight it may generate forces applied in a direction slightly different than intended.
    As you can see in the Hammock Hang Calculator, the forces on the hammock anchors increase dramatically if you flatten the hang angle. If a 200 pound person is in a hammock that is set up with the recommended 30-degree hang angle, there is a horizontal shear force of 173 lbs at the point where the hammock suspension attaches to the tree. In the case of the Handy Hammock, this force is transferred in part to the strut, with the balance borne by the guy lines. If my calculations are correct, there would be around 60 lbs of force on each Handy Hammock anchor in this case. If you flatten the hammock hang angle to 20 degrees, the force on each anchor almost doubles to 113 lbs. And if the angle is reduced further to 10 degrees, the force on each anchor increases to 268 lbs. Therefore, in the interest of your comfort and safety, a sag angle of 30 degrees is recommended.
    Last edited by trhang; 05-25-2013 at 09:07. Reason: My son, the mechanical engineer, pointed out that my calcs were wrong.

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Has anyone tried a WBBB which is 10 feet. thats 6 inches longer. So do you just add 6 inches to the middle line?
    May your tarps keep you dry and your backsides remain warm.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trhang View Post
    As you can see in the Hammock Hang Calculator, the forces on the hammock anchors increase dramatically if you flatten the hang angle. If a 200 pound person is in a hammock that is set up with the recommended 30-degree hang angle, there is a horizontal shear force of 173 lbs at the point where the hammock suspension attaches to the tree. In the case of the Handy Hammock, this force is transferred in part to the strut, with the balance borne by the guy lines. If my calculations are correct, there would be around 60 lbs of force on each Handy Hammock anchor in this case. If you flatten the hammock hang angle to 20 degrees, the force on each anchor almost doubles to 113 lbs. And if the angle is reduced further to 10 degrees, the force on each anchor increases to 268 lbs. Therefore, in the interest of your comfort and safety, a sag angle of 30 degrees is recommended.
    Thank you very much for confirming my belief. Frankly I was pretty happy with my wifes 10' hammock with the original spacing. I'll pop an eleven footer on there tomorrow and see how that feels.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Handy Hammock - The Ultralight Hammock Stand

Finally! Thanks to a 3-day weekend, I found the time to set up our Handy Hammocks! All I can say is how wonderful they feel. I took me 30 minutes for the first one and 20 for the second. I was being very careful not to mess up, so I was taking my time. I can see 15 minutes without rushing at all. They actually feel very secure! Plus, I can't believe how light they are. I would be more than willing to hike with these in a desert, just so I could sleep in my hammock at night. So, without further ado,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369668196.520965.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369668214.438072.jpg
    Last edited by MAD777; 05-27-2013 at 19:13.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Received mine this weekend and set it up right away. It took a few minutes as MAD777 stated, but once I finished, it was great to kick back in. It is amazing how light this is. I want to try one of my other hammock in it, but not sure when I will get the chance. I know setup will be much quicker now since I have it down. Great job Jason, and thank you so very much for extending your sale so I could take part. I will be sporting this at the beach in the near future, and making other folks jealous.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Finally! Thanks to a 3-day weekend, I found the time to set up our Handy Hammocks! All I can say is how wonderful they feel. I took me 30 minutes for the first one and 20 for the second. I was being very careful not to mess up, so I was taking my time. I can see 15 minutes without rushing at all. They actually feel very secure! Plus, I can't believe how light they are. I would be more than willing to hike with these in a desert, just so I could sleep in my hammock at night. So, without further ado,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369668196.520965.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369668214.438072.jpg
    Nice pics. Look at her. First group hang this year and already a seasoned hanger getting equipment from over the pond....

Hope to you soon on the trail.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO DN, Infinity, DIY.
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hexfly
    Insulation
    Too hot to use one
    Suspension
    DIY Kevlar cord.
    Can't believe it, I just see this thread today.....
    Well.....I hope and wait for another group buy sale.

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images

Handy Hammock Beach Pegs Back In Stock

We now have 600mm beach pegs* back in stock for anyone that wants to take their Handy Hammock to the beach.

* 12 x 600mm (24 inches) Aluminium pegs for use in sand (aircraft-grade 7750-T6 Aluminium/Zinc alloy, 6mm thick) = £27.99 plus shipping
    Last edited by Jason Andrews; 06-06-2013 at 08:06. Reason: forgot to include hyperlink with image
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast