Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Happy Indoors ...

Happy Jason,

Saw in your newsletter, Grandpa set one up in his garage. Does your Happy manual have "indoor" set-up details?

dp Dave
    www.dplightweightbackpackinggear.com
    dplightweightbackpackinggear.com

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images
    Hi Dave,
    The indoor set up does mean a few bolts in the floor though so I think most people would just use wall-bolts and a hammock as a simpler set-up?

We needed an indoor set-up that included our stand so we could do some product testing over the winter so my Dad set it up.

Here are his instructions - we won't be including them in the manual. Of course for our purposes we needed the ground plate too. You could rig something simpler just without the anchor plates/aluminium pins.

The corner base plates are nothing fancy.

For these I used 4 pieces of 1" x 5" board and 4 pieces of 2 1/2" x 4" timber studding, 12 x 2 1/2" screws and 4 Rawl bolts.

The block and base board just need to be deep enough to secure at least 3" of the pegs and big enough to accept 3 screws and 3 pegs (two at an angle) without the pegs and screws fouling each other.

Making the corner plates.

1) Fix 3 number 2 1/2" screws through the board into the block so you have at least 6" of board one side and 2 1/2" of board the other side. Make four combination blocks like this. The long side prevents the block tipping towards the hammock. The short side is Rawl bolted to the concrete floor or base.

2) Drill through the short side of the base board for the diameter of your rawl bolt.

3) Place a plastic ground anchor plate over the block with the word top uppermost and the link cord lead out to the adjacent anchor plate (as for pitching in soil). Position it and mark three drill centre points. Pilot drill using the ground anchor plate as a guide for the peg angles (1 of the 3 can be vertical). Then drill with a drill bit suitable to allow the pegs to push fit into the three holes.

Setting out to on the concrete floor.

4) Peg a pair of plastic ground anchor plates to two of the corner blocks. Peg the other pair to the remaining 2 corner blocks (the word top should be uppermost).

Set out the 4 corner plates on the concrete floor. Pencil the floor round them.
    Using one of the hammock guy-lines. Loop each end of the guy-line around each of two of the plates per the attached photo. Lay out one of the hammock guy-lines to form a triangle. At the apex of the triangle lay one of the final pair of plastic ground anchor plates with the apex of the guy-line over the centre of the plate. Mark the plate position on the floor. Lay out the line from this plate to it's pair. Using the same guy-line repeat as above for the other corner plates and mark the floor as before.

Fixing the Rawl bolts.

5) In turn position each corner plate withing it's marked position. Using a masonry bit and impact hammer drill drill the concrete to accept the rawl bolt. Repeat for all four corners. The fixings should end up flush in the concrete so the bolts can be used and withdrawn as required.

Making the in-line centre jig.

6) Self evident from the photo. Two blocks, two lengths of timber and a few screws.

Make this to the same height as the corner blocks. Router or drill out below the centre of the ground anchor plates so the base of the hammock strut sits comfortably through the ground anchor plate.

If you are considering using the above setup for other hanmmocks as well as the handy hammock you may need two drill holes in two of the corner plates to allow the overall length of the pitch to be lengthened or shortened. However there is a good degree of tolerance lengthwise. It is quite possible add 10 inches to the handy hammock rig, you just get a slacker hammock. It is however important to ensure the centre ground anchor plates are not missaligned left or right to any great degree.

If set up in a garage set near one wall and to the back of the garage. then only one corner plate should ever need to be removed to allow vehicular use of the garage.

One or two points.
    Expect to waste the odd block when you discover the screws are in the way of the angles you need to drill for the pegs.
    It is vital to use the correct masonry bit for your Rawl bolts.
    Don't skimp the drilled depth and thoroughly Vacuum clean the holes.
    Don't over tighten the Rawl bolts. They will start to skid and open up the drill hole in the concrete.

Throughout I have assumed you have the same or similar concrete fixing in the US as we do in the UK. An expanding grip with a nut locked into it and a removable bolt.

Sorry the text is so long but hopefully, with the photographs it makes sense.
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Happy Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the indoor rigging set-up pix. Looks pretty ... simple.

I love your ingenuity. Way to go. The world appreciates inventors ...

And by the way, I think your hammock suspension mount height is "just right" ... I've always done chest high which puts a dp hammock with under-quilt about 6'' - 10'' off the ground. Mmmmmmm

Now, how much US $ PayPal for a landed "Happy Hammock" stand ?

dp Dave
    www.dplightweightbackpackinggear.com
    dplightweightbackpackinggear.com

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images
    Happy Hammock - I like it

There will be a Group Buy soon... watch the forum over the next couple of days. Just sorting out details.
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Handy Hammock - The Ultralight Hammock Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Andrews View Post
    Happy Hammock - I like it

There will be a Group Buy soon... watch the forum over the next couple of days. Just sorting out details.
    Well, there goes the Christmas Club money!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Find a review here at HF, too

I don't think this thread mentions a photo-documented set-up by HF Mod and 'To the Wood's (founder?) and maintainer, Just Jeff.

Some assurance by the OP that the design is engineered for serious use would be appreciated. On the one hand, I'm inclined to trust that even working to get at the price point of 100 quid, there have not been compromises in the materials and engineering. I've previously expressed admiration and interest in the structural design.

On the other hand, I have no ability, from photos and in this (US) land of shopping channels and tele-marketing Ronco and Popeil products, to distinguish this as serious camping design and construction (or even better folding aluminum camping chairs).

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OK, here is what Jason can do within his budget for a "group buy." I am posting this here on behalf of Jason.

Please contact me by pm or email, and when 19 more folks agree to buy, I'll let everyone know the buy is on (20 participants - I am number 1).

Here's the offer: Between now and May 10 Jason at Handy Hammock will give you two choices-

Red or Yellow Handy Hammock system plus 2 connector-sets (so that folks can easily use their existing hammocks)
    Total inc free shipping = £90 ($138)
    Normal price to US customers would be £100 + £10 + £26 = £136 ($209)
    Save $71!

OR

Double Strut Kit (includes 2 connector-sets)
    Total inc free shipping = £85 ($130)
    Normal price to US customers would be £90 + £26 = £116 ($177)
    Save $47!

So basically you can either get the double strut at a great price with free shipping or for an extra $8 you can get a red/yellow hammock too - like you say, one for the back yard/kids

I hope you all find this worth it.
    Please PM me and let's get hanging!
    Seabear/Kent
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    PM sent for 2 complete setups
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Wow, wow, wow, the agony, now time to figure out how to come up with $138.00 in just a couple of weeks. Hmmmmmmm, nice offer. I'll have see what I can come up with.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Handy Hammock - The Ultralight Hammock Stand

PM sent. In for two.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast