Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Question Feedback on this setup for my first "upgrade"

Hello!

I'm 3 months post-chemo and surgery from my second round with testicular cancer. I've been cooped up for over 6 months, and I can't WAIT to get out and go hiking. I've got another month or two before I'm able, so I thought I'd upgrade my hammock to make that an easier process. (FYI, I'm currently cancer free!)

I've had an old velcro entry HH for about two years, and I've had it out a few times. I LOVE hanging, but the velcro is a pain with sleeping pads, and is even worse now as I'm gaining my mobility back. I'm planning on selling my HH setup and moving to a Blackbird Double 1.1. I'm still using my sleeping bag and pads, with the plans of moving towards top and bottom quilts at some point, I just can't afford them right now. I'll be using different closed cell pads depending on the weather.

I'm looking at the superfly tarp as well. I live in Western Oregon, so it's wet 80% of the year. I have more opportunities to get away when the weather isn't ideal, so seems like a protective tarp would be nice. But, are the doors worth it? I won't be going out in anything with weather below 20 degrees. Are the doors primarily for warmth? Or wind and rain protection? I wouldn't mind saving some ounces with the Mambajamba, and I could add the door kit on down the line?

I'm 6'2"/210lbs

Questions: If I want to move towards whoopie slings, which Warbonnet suspension would be easiest?

Tarp thoughts?

Other things?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Fantastic news about being cancer free - Congratulations!

A 1.1 dbl is a great hammock and will work fine with pads. If I had to choose one tarp as my all around go to it would be the superfly. Great having the doors as a wind break, keep the heat in, protect against the rain, privacy it can do it all. And you can hang it and pulld the doora out of the way to use as a BMJ tarp.

In terms of whoopie slings, they are great and can be added anytime. Ordering from warbonnet, Brandon may switch them up himself if you purchase and ask. Otherwise I like the buckles and strap system - super easy.

Good luck and have a blast!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    First off congratualtions and well wishes on the cancer battle.

Now on to your questions/concerns. I'm sure you would love the BlackBird, although have you considered the RidgeRunner bridge hammock by Warbonnet? Many people find pads easier and more comfortable in a bridge than a gathered end. Both are fantastic hammocks and I'm sure you'd love either one. As far as tarp doors go, they are useful to help provide a little warmth, but they mostly do that by blocking wind. And if you've ever been caught out in a sudden overnight thunderstorm where the rain seems to come from all sides at the same time you'd much prefer to have doors on your tarp, nevermind the fact that the superfly is cheaper and lighter than the mamajamba plus door kit.

If you're wanting to use whoopie slings then I'd order the Line & Strap suspension, as I believe that is what it already is.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I have no experience with Warbonnet products sadly, but wanted to say great job kicking cancer square in the posterior!!!! Twice!! Keep it up. Hope you get to enjoy an outing soon as you surely deserve one.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    Congratulations on fighting the "C" battle (twice) and winning!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    ...If you're wanting to use whoopie slings then I'd order the Line & Strap suspension, as I believe that is what it already is.
    Not whoopie slings per the WB website..."The line/strap suspension cconsists of 2 tree straps which you will hitch (girth hitch/larkshead , see Animated Knots ) to the tree, leaving one end of the strap hanging free. This end has a welded ring which you will tie the hammock line to (via a slipped buntline hitch). All adjustments are made via tying/retying the knot."

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I believe that Brandon has a video for each showing the differences on the site. Whoopie slings would be a third option.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm looking at the superfly tarp as well. I live in Western Oregon, so it's wet 80% of the year. I have more opportunities to get away when the weather isn't ideal, so seems like a protective tarp would be nice. But, are the doors worth it? I won't be going out in anything with weather below 20 degrees. Are the doors primarily for warmth? Or wind and rain protection? I wouldn't mind saving some ounces with the Mambajamba, and I could add the door kit on down the line?
    Doors are terrific for keeping that wind off of you and it stealing your warmth in cool/cold weather. Helps with blowing high-wind rain too.
    But if your only camping in milder weather.....not a necessity.
    As to whoopie slings....you would have to order them from another vendor and add them.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Thanks for the feedback! Order the 1.1 dbl w/ the Superfly. Can't wait to try it out!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Well, I'm already rethinking my order.

My dad just offered to buy me an under quilt for an early Xmas present.

I thought about swapping to the 1.1 single for some cost and weight savings. But I'm about 210. Seems like having the ability to use a pad would be nice. I also heard the 1.1 double doesn't stretch as much?

I'm open to under quilt suggestions, though I'm starting a post in the bottom insulation forum for that.

I'm typically a cold sleeper, and while I'd much rather have a 3/4 length UQ for weigh and space savings, I'm doing this for a comfortable sleep so don't want to skimp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast