Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    ... luckily it seems extremely easy to adjust even from under the tarp in foul weather.
    Thanks Craige.

If you are using a stretch-prone tarp, such as silnylon, having elastic, self-tensioning side-tie-outs will mitigate some of the RL tension issues. The stitches in the ridgeline (if present) help to minimize the stretching.

BUT, you are correct: making adjustments (if necessary) in a rough storm is made easier with the DutchWare Stingerz or Tarp Flyz. Much easier to handle than Prusiks or similar knotted techniques*.

*Not that I'm against knots, far from it! But I must admit that the hardware option here is preferred.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    What I love about the Tarp Flyz vs. Prusik-type knots is that it is so much easier to tighten and loosen the Tarp Flyz, especially with that small line. Small Prusik's on that small line tend to jam.
    EXACTLY!!! I loved the lightweight of the prusik solution but hated the fiddle factor. This is INGENIOUS!

Did I say this is ingenious?
    Well, if not, let me say this is INGENIOUS!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Tarp Ridgeline

In the last couple of weeks I've studied tarp ridgelines waaaay more than I care to admit. I keep coming back to this setup. It seems to me to be the best/easiest way to do it.

Currently I don't have a CRL, just two Stingerz each with their own length of Zing It that gets tensioned around the trees. At the time I ordered that setup, I didn't realize I needed a CRL. I quickly discovered that I have to tie each sides a couple of times to get the tarp centered over the hammock. Derek, I love your system here of being able to easily center the tarp between the anchors by only loosening one end.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should order two Dutch hooks and cut the Zing-It off the Stingerz I already have and use one on two different tarps, or if I should preserve Dutch's beautiful backsplice work and just order a new Stinger and hook?

And just so I'm clear... is the only argument against using this method because you can lose tarp tension due to the silnylon tarp stretching overnight? Is that why a lot of CRL systems use Prusik's to attach the tarp to the ridgeline, so that the ridgeline itself is always taut even if the tarp isn't?

I've seen some CRL's with 5 or 6 Prusik's going to the tarp ends, figure 9's, and using knot bones on one end of the ridgeline. I understand how these systems work, but they seem way overbuilt.
    Last edited by markrvp; 12-05-2012 at 12:14. Reason: Clarify my thoughts

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I agree on the overbuilt part! I went to a scout training where the instructor had set up a CRL that had fail safe points built in so if the wind got too crazy the line would snap and let the tarp free. It was complex. And I'm not sure it was really useful. There are many ways to pitch a tarp and I like the simpler methods.

I've never experienced stretch on the ridge line to any extent that it made an issue. On the side pull outs yes, which is why the elastic tarp tensioners are used with silnylon.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    I noticed your ridgeline is above the tarp, but it seems it could go below just as easy right? or is there something i'm missing that would keep it from going underneath?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    I noticed your ridgeline is above the tarp, but it seems it could go below just as easy right? or is there something i'm missing that would keep it from going underneath?
    Yes, it can go over or under the tarp. Under the tarp is a nice option when the ridgeline can add support during a heavy snowfall, for example, or in some wind.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY IX 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Images
    Very cool! For those that use tarp skins, would this method work? Are the tarp line "V's" too wide to accommodate sliding the skins out of the way? I have never used skins but just received a WL Tadpole w/skins and am getting ready to rig it up.

For that matter...do skins really make setting up/tear down easier? Having the ability to easily center tarp from one end is pretty convenient. I use double ridge lines with prusiks and when adjusting them I can burn my fingers if not careful when sliding them.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    Very cool! For those that use tarp skins, would this method work? Are the tarp line "V's" too wide to accommodate sliding the skins out of the way? I have never used skins but just received a WL Tadpole w/skins and am getting ready to rig it up.

For that matter...do skins really make setting up/tear down easier? Having the ability to easily center tarp from one end is pretty convenient. I use double ridge lines with prusiks and when adjusting them I can burn my fingers if not careful when sliding them.
    In my video example I'm using a double sided stuff sack which works much in the same way as the skins with having the two sides of the ridge line sticking out. The skins just bunch up on the ends. They can get in the way sometimes. Personally, I'm not a huge skins fan because the long tube is unwieldy and I feel like I've got a disemboweled intestine that I then have to pack. But that's just me.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Having watched the video a few times now, set up definitely seems simple. How about take down? Do you have put the tarp back into the stuff sack while still hanging off the ridge line? I'm trying to picture it but the older I get the more of a visual learner I become, so I'm having trouble here. I guess my concern is that I don't want to dump the tarp on the ground and also I would like to be able to put it away quickly but you need to have both ends left out when packed (so I'm wondering if you have to fold it up nice and neat).

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm a stickler for keeping my gear off the ground -- hammock and tarp -- so I prefer set-ups that allow me to pack up quickly and without ground interference.

It helps to have a double-sided stuff sack, Bishop bag, or even skins to make packing easier, although it is possible with a regular stuff sack.

With a double-sided sack or bishop bag your sack should still be attached to the end of the tarp where the Dutch hook is connected (or one mini carabiner, depending on which version you're referring to).

Unhook the side opposite the stuff sack -- this would be the DutchWare Stingerz/Tarp Flyz end -- and begin stuffing into the stuff sack.

By leaving this one side attached, you can pull against this "anchor" as you stuff, which keeps the anchored side off the ground (like having a second pair of hands).

I'll see about creating a follow-up video to show how this is done. Stay tuned.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast