Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Winter 2017 Line Up: "Gearing Up" and "Backcountry" Hangs

Before everyone gets wrapped up in the holiday season I wanted to put out an open invitation to all to join us on our annual "Gearing Up for Winter" at Valens Conservation Area north of Hamilton and for our Winter Back-country Hang on Crown land just southwest of Algonquin Park, both in Ontario. Over the years, Valens been a great chance to first meet up with old friends, make some new ones, compare gadgets and most importantly, eat like royalty. And to work off those extra pounds, we put that gear to the test in the field where this year I even hope to get some ice fishing in for speckled trout.

While the dates aren't carved in ice yet, and the actual date of the Backcountry Hang will be dependent upon ice conditions on site, let's tentatively say.

• Gearing Up: Jan 6-8, 2017 (Alternate Jan 13-15, 2017) - Food/Drink and Good Company
    • Backcountry: Feb 3-5, 2017 (early arrivals on Thurs 2nd) - All of the above plus ice fishing for specks.

So I hope that everyone has a joyous and safe holiday season and look forward to seeing you out there, freezing your *** off alongside the rest of us!

Happy Holidays!

Remember: Please! No posting here!! The trip thread can be found here
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Spring 2017 - Return of the Voyageurs

Hey gang,

My first trips to Algonquin consisted mainly of long days in the canoe exploring the waters and portages of the Park, always pushing onwards and rarely seeing the sun rise in the same place twice. So, in memory of that bygone era, I propose that t
    he 2017 EGL Spring canoe trip will be a little different this year, a little more taxing.

Tripping 150 km over five days with dozens of portages, with the dreaded 5470m Dickson-Bonfield portage thrown in for good measure. That's over 30 km tripping per day, roughly the same as from Canoe to McIntosh and halfway back. That's like portaging from Toronto's Yonge & St.Clair down to Lake Ontario with a canoe on your head. But that, as my friends and I used to say, is the price of admission. The reward? Some of the most beautiful areas in Ontario.

Just like the old days I hope to be on the water at sunrise and paddle well into the afternoon, covering parts of the Park many of us have never been to before.

It's not a trip for the feint of heart, more of a test of endurance than a lilydipping daytrip. Plan to pack light and single carry. I've already started training.

When: Mid to late May 2017: 7-8 days (1 carcamp / 5 paddling / 2 layover)
    Where: See below

Logistics: We'll be car camping in Algonquin the night before so that we can set up the car shuttle, obtain our permits and be ready for a dawn departure.

Those are the basics. We have half a year to get in shape and work out the details.

Are we having fun yet?

As always: No responses here: The trip planning thread can be found here

Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Gang!

This isn't a trip thread but what looks like an excellent bargain on a used canoe that ggreaves found. Granted it's in Connecticut, but at that price!

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/6171184195.html

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    EGL Canoe Hang - Algonquin - September 29 - Oct 1, 2017

Hi Gang,

This spring's two part trip seemed so well received that maybe we should attempt another. Hopefully we'll catch the Algonquin's Autumn colours at their peak, although it'll be hard to be Pen

• The main event (Sept 29-Oct 1) -Red: The Weekend Hang on Ragged Lake
    • The optional event (Sept 25'ish - Sept 29) - Blue: The Loop from Smoke>Tanamakoon>Cache>Head>Harness>Louisa>North Grace>McGarvey>Big Porcupine>Ragged as suggested by Bubba. A side trip to the old growth forest on Dividing Lake at the lower part of the map, and a shortened route across the middle have been marked by dotted lines. We already have some interest in this.

There's a Google Sheets sign-up form here. It'd be nice to know who's coming and how many sites we'd need. I'm hoping we make this a classic gourmet trip and come up with some fantastic backcountry cuisine that'll be the envy of the park. Even the bear's will have to wear bowties if they expect to share.

You can post your replies to the Trip Planning Thread here.

JUST A REMINDER TO PLEASE NOT RESPOND ON THIS THREAD

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Community Notice: Please do not reply

Normally I wouldn't use this thread for non-hang communications, but I thought everyone would like to at least know about this.

1st Annual Ontario Winter Camping Symposium is being held Saturday November 25th in the Theatre of the Arts at the University of Waterloo.Doors open 9:00 am, Speakers start at 10:00 am.

Hope to see you guys there.

http://www.ontariowintercamping.ca/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Community Notice: Please do not reply

Normally I wouldn't use this thread for non-hang communications, but I thought everyone would like to at least know about this.

1st Annual Ontario Winter Camping Symposium is being held Saturday November 25th in the Theatre of the Arts at the University of Waterloo.Doors open 9:00 am, Speakers start at 10:00 am.

Hope to see you guys there.

http://www.ontariowintercamping.ca/
    SOLD OUT!!!

Sorry gang. I was hoping to get tickets at the door, but I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    [SIZE=5]SOLD OUT!!
    Damnation!!!
    Guess there's some interest in this stuff, eh?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    REMEMBER: PLEASE REPLY ON THE TRIP THREAD AND NOT ON THIS PAGE

EGL 2018 Canoeing Season Lineup

Hey folks, I wanted to set an ambitious schedule for 2018 and throw out some of the trips that I'd love to try to get in this year. It'll be great to get out with old friends and with luck, we might even make some new ones. If you can say "Chowda", you're welcome.

• Spring Trout'n Trip
      • May 14-21- Weeklonger's/Marshmallow rendezvous. McIntosh would be my first choice. Opeongo, Temagami also sounds wonderful, but may be a little far for some. May 5-13 might be better depending on ice-out.

• Yurt Raising Labour Camp
      • ​Date TBD: One of our own could use a hand moving building materials to a backwoods cottage site. Muscle and sweat to be balanced with meat and beer. The more hands we have the faster we'll be done. If haul'n not your speed, then camp cooks are welcome.

• ​Lower Madawaska Sunken Canoe Hang
      • June ?: ConnieB and Martin to advise. A little whitewater playing around on the beautiful Madawaska River near Bancroft

• Summer Coastal Cruise
      • July/August: French River down to the Georgian Bay

• Autumn Trout'n Leaves Trip
      • Late September/Early October: Algonquin/Killarney Weeklonger's/Marshmallow rendezvous.

Just throwing out a dream paddling season. Specific will be managed on Google Sheets.

REMEMBER: PLEASE REPLY ON THE TRIP THREAD AND NOT ON THIS PAGE

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    EGL's 2019 Winter Season: Winter Camping Symposium (Late Nov), Gearing Up Car Camping (Mid Jan) and Backwoods Deep Freeze (Early Feb)

Hi everyone!

2nd Annual Ontario Winter Camping Symposium is almost here! Should be a fun time, not only in Waterloo but also later at Valens.

Went for a drive up around Creemore last Saturday and saw a light dusting of snow in the fields. Beautiful country up around there. Winter tires are on and now I'm eager to put them to good use and nothing makes me happier than a good winter hang!

Last year I wrote:
    "As for the Gearing up, why don't we formalize our tradition and say that the second weekend of each year we try to start the year off right by getting together and freezing our butts off. First weekend for family, second weekend for old (cold?) friends. Valens has proven a perfect spot, being relatively close to a number of folks, excellent usage fees, but I'm not above considering other drive to locations in the future."

That puts us at January 11-13, 2019 for Valens. I'll call ahead to our firewood provider and hopefully we'll have some nice cool weather.

As for the back country hang, lets pencil in Feb 1-3 for now. Where? Niger Lake was nice last year; Crown land, no fees and fairly easy access but no dang fish! Whet Newdell and KeyWayKeno mentioned a nice Crown land spot on their lake south of Parry Sound. Of course there's there's Silent Lake, Kawartha Highlands, Frontenac, Algonquin, Killarney and a score of other parks. Come to think of it, a night atop the crack in Killarney sounds pretty exciting. While I suspect that Lofty and Iguana could skip up there like Legolas and Boromir on the Redhorn Pass, it would be a difficult toil for ordinary mortal folk. A long drive as well, but carpooling's an option and the scenery is second to none. No matter, we can settle on where later.

You can find the planning thread HERE

Reminder: Do Not Reply Here. Please Post Your Replies On The Planning Thread Above
    Last edited by Chard; 11-01-2018 at 11:54.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast