DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

NJ > Batona Camp > 16th Annual Winter Hang > Feb 2 - Feb 4

I had offered to put up an official post about the NJ Winter Hang for Iafte, since he seldom gets on HF these days. So it’s by proxy, and it's a month or two later than I planned to post, but at long last:

What: 16th Annual NJ Winter Hang!

When: February 2-4, 2024

Where: Batona Camp, Wharton State Forest, NJ

Map! It’s the Map!

Reservations:

Reserving a site is just to help out since we can’t book the whole camp. If you reserve a site, you don’t necessarily have to stay there (though you absolutely can if you like) – once we book a bunch of the sites we usually just tell everyone to set up on whichever trees within those boundaries.
    When/if you book, go with 2 people, 2 cars per site. If anyone decides to come from out of state, best to let the NJ residents reserve first, as it’s cheaper per night for us locals.

If you don’t book a site, plan on bringing $5/night along that you can chip in to someone who did book, to cover costs.

Site A (Group Site) is usually the main fire/kitchen location. Sites 6 and 7 have maybe 2 or 3 good spots to hang combined, so leave those for last, as needed.

Food:

We’ll plan on a communal meal for Saturday night (usually around 6pm). Everyone is encouraged to bring something to contribute. There’s a column on the sign-up sheet to list what you’re bringing. If you want to bring plates, cutlery, etc. to share go ahead and list that as well. All other meals are on you.

Notes/Rules/Etc.:

No alcohol is technically allowed in NJ State Parks. Caveat Emptor.

There is a road that loops around the whole camp, that must remain clear for the rangers to drive around if they come through. If you’ve never been to Batona and you’re unsure, ask someone who has once you arrive, to make sure you’re not parked in a no-no spot. It should be pretty clear once you get there.

This is a drive in camp, so bring extra stuff to stay warm. Don’t try to be a hero - we’ve had temps in the negative digits in years past, and last year was in the teens and breezy on Friday night. If you need extra gear, feel free to ask here, and maybe someone can help you out.

Feel free to bring some firewood (store or local bought only please) to share, if you're so inclined - there will be at least a couple group fires.

Last time we were in camp (Thanksgiving), the pump was out of service due to a contaminated well. I'm unsure if it has been remedied, so plan to bring in water just in case.

Since in the past we usually try to book almost the entire camp, and there's not always a lot of other folk that camp out in the winter, we don’t pay much attention to the official quiet hours (10pm to 6am). That said, if there are non-Winter-Hang folk in the camp, we do our best to be good neighbors.

As a general rule, the further away from the group site you hang, the less noise you’ll have to deal with. However – be warned: this is not a quiet weekend retreat in the woods kind of hang. It’s a boisterous, once a year, let-loose-in-the-pines kind of hang. If late night talking, storytelling, carrying on, and even music bother you, this may not be your cup of tea. But if you’re up for a good time hanging with a bunch of rowdy Pineys in the cold, by all means come on out!

So that’s the basics. Some things may change if I hear differently from Iafte, at which point I’ll try and edit or post a correction/update. But it’s always a fun time, so feel free to come on out and join us – all are welcome!

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Site 11 booked
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Can I hang in someone's site and chip in for the site expense?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant118 View Post
    Can I hang in someone's site and chip in for the site expense?

Absolutely. Looks like most of the camp is booked - hopefully by us - so you're all good!

Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Absolutely. Looks like most of the camp is booked - hopefully by us - so you're all good!
    Thank you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Sanctuary SilTarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Katabatic Q
    Suspension
    Python 10
    I know this is getting close - still waiting to learn if I'm free that weekend. If I end up getting free, can I just show up with some money, food, and gear?

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by LufMan View Post
    I know this is getting close - still waiting to learn if I'm free that weekend. If I end up getting free, can I just show up with some money, food, and gear?
    Yep

Sent from my SM-S711U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Sanctuary SilTarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Katabatic Q
    Suspension
    Python 10
    Thanks! I'm hopeful!

Hammock
    dream sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    ugq down
    Suspension
    dutch
    I'm a solid maybe. Should be nice and chilly
    Last edited by jhulbe; 01-29-2024 at 14:48.

Winter Hang at Batona ! I am bring my Mountain Bike and doing a ride to Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower via Batona Trail from our camp or further depending on the group decision..
    Saturday after breakfast, 10 ish and be back mid afternoon for lunch. The time is very flexible based upon the group.. all are welcome.. If no one brings their bike and wish to hike it , we can hike it also.

Let me know your thoughts!

AllTrails

Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower via Batona Trail on AllTrails
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/n...ower?sh=hqqoyz

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast