Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    My friends and I are looking for a similar area but a slightly longer hike. The Jack's River trail in the Cohutta Wilderness area looks cool. From the looks of it there are trails that crisscross the area so you can make short loops, out and back, a big figure 8. It just depends on how may miles you want to make.
    Thanks. I'll add that to the list of Potentials for a summer trip.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4df View Post
    I may be backpacking next weekend, but not sure yet.
    Plans are beginning for firm up. I'm most likely to be arriving Friday morning and backpacking the Coosa Backcountry trail. Anyone want to join me? Send a PM if you do.

Walter (kk4df)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad & Bag
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4df View Post
    I think there may be lots of stream crossings, based on what I've heard. I want to do trails in the Cohutta wilderness, but I'm waiting for summer for this area I think.
    You're right on the Jacks River Trail - LOTS of stream crossings, no matter how you do it! It is a great place to go, but I'm with you on waiting for the warm weather.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I believe Fort mountain state park also has a back country trail (I think its called the "Gahuti trail") I day hiked it a few years ago-------very beautiful! FYI GA state parks will charge you 9 dollers a night per person for backcountry sites, and another 5 for a park pass. If you go to your local library, they have a park pass kit you can check out----you can keep it out for 5 days. (with the park pass kit, you get free parking at any GA state park, plus free admission to any GA historic site---its not that big a deal, but it could save you a few bucks!)
    Last edited by stevebo; 11-28-2012 at 12:15.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I believe Fort mountain state park also has a back country trail (I think its called the "Gahuti trail") I day hiked it a few years ago-------very beautiful! FYI GA state parks will charge you 9 dollers a night per person for backcountry sites, and another 5 for a park pass. If you go to your local library, they have a park pass kit you can check out----you can keep it out for 5 days. (with the park pass kit, you get free parking at any GA state park, plus free admission to any GA historic site---its not that big a deal, but it could save you a few bucks!)
    Yeah, I heard about those Park Pass Kits at the Elberton Library. The librarian there is a friend of mine. I think it's awesome. To bad they don't have passes for the Backcountry sites.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Vogel doesn't charge you for backcountry sites. Most of the Coosa Trail isn't even in Vogel. They do charge $5 for parking though. I consider that $5 a non refundable security deposit on myself though. Since if you don't show back up they'll come looking for you.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, ENO DN, NW Aspen
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Natural body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

You can borrow my GA hiking books...

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Thank you. I have to check out Half Moon. I've heard a lot about them but have never actually been in there.
    Hey Lupus - I have "The Hiking Trails of North Georgia" by Tim Holman 3rd edition as well as "Hiking Georgia" by Donald Pfitzer, 3rd edition. I have to go to Atlanta tomorrow, so maybe we can get together Friday or Saturday. That will also give me time to run by Caston's place in Statam and see what he has in the way of Dyneema.

GeezerScouter

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerScouter View Post
    Hey Lupus - I have "The Hiking Trails of North Georgia" by Tim Holman 3rd edition as well as "Hiking Georgia" by Donald Pfitzer, 3rd edition. I have to go to Atlanta tomorrow, so maybe we can get together Friday or Saturday. That will also give me time to run by Caston's place in Statam and see what he has in the way of Dyneema.

GeezerScouter
    Sounds great. I have meetings that will keep me busy Friday during business hours, but I should be free after that.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Vogel doesn't charge you for backcountry sites. Most of the Coosa Trail isn't even in Vogel. They do charge $5 for parking though. I consider that $5 a non refundable security deposit on myself though. Since if you don't show back up they'll come looking for you.
    Thanks for the info---I wasnt aware of that!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I went by the local library and picked up the annual park pass for my trip this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123